Help with Curl Junkie gels

Hey guys, this is regarding two of CJ's gels in particular--Pattern Pusha and Curl Queen.

So I posted my concerns about PP in other threads a while back but since I still have the bottle, I am determined to try because I like how it looks wet and haven't figured out how to fix the issues I get when it's dry.

It doesn't flake until I try to SOTC/fluff the hair when it's dry--like all the product is flaking off. It looks like the gel is not flexible enough to mesh with my curl pattern. It happens with Curl Queen too (besides lots of foam w/that one when it's wet).

I know that it can flake from using too much product but it seems as though it is just not "sticking" to my hair right instead barely sitting on top, if that makes sense. I have tried using as little product as possible, so little it was like why am I even applying it lol. I've tried it on naked hair and under CJAO as a leave-in. Tried it wet and damp also.

I emailed Marsha a while back and she said to use it with an oil or butter product...but what does that mean? Like, use oil or butter as a leave-in? My wet hair doesn't really like straight oils or butters (sits on top and separates clumps, makes hair feel wiry), so I need help to figure out a way to work it. I've done a lot of searching but most people are either using it alone or with a bunch of different combos and it's kind of confusing since my hair's kind of picky with combos.

Any ideas?

thx
My Blog

Last edited by artemis513; 09-27-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Mabye use it damp with the oils or butters. Not full on drippy wet hair. Cuz my hair loves oils and butters but only damp or dry. Then put the PP over it.

Sent from my GT-P1000N using CurlTalk App
Well when I say wet, I don't mean sopping dripping wet lol. I am low porosity and I have fine hair, so I do have to squeeze some water out before apply products (and I wrote what oil/butter does when I tried that). That's what wet/damp means to me, like not dry but not soaking wet. Did you mean something different? Like make the hair drier?
My Blog
I haven't made the jump to online product lines so haven't used PP myself, but I thought I'd throw this out there. Maybe you could use a LI underneath PP that has a good amount of oil or butter in it? My hair hates straight oils or butter on wet, damp, or dry hair, but is happy about both if they're in a conditioner. Old formula GFTN was last winter's HG RO and LI, and it had a good amount of palm oil along with shea butter and 3 other oils further down in the ingredients list.
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Autumn Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 KLS, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, L'Oreal Studio Clean gel, Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's as needed
Originally Posted by Geek_Chic
I did try the Beauticurls AO as a leave-in thinking that would work since there's argan, olive, jojoba and coconut oils in there, and while it was better than using PP alone, it still flaked. Hmm, maybe it was just too light...

I will try the BCLI next--that has butters in it and my hair likes it fine...This should be interesting lol.

Thx!
My Blog
Yeah maybe use it when your hair is almost totally dry. Abt 90%. Where theres just a little dampness.

Originally Posted by prentonne
Hmm...just curious, is your hair low porosity? I ask because I can apply oils to my dry hair and it's fine but the oil has to be very light and I can only use a few drops otherwise it's crunchy and greasy, basically because it's sitting on top and not absorbing. I mean this is after I have styled it and everything. As a finisher.

And my hair is like...if it's not wet it's not flexible to styling and the drier it is the more the cuticles lock-down like a vault lol. I'd need more product that I would normally and it's just gonna sit on top anyway, little effect other than frizz. My hair is crazy You can probably tell I am a little apprehensive about this lolol. I see white greasy frizzy hair in my mind *clutches pearls* lol

I won't rule out trying it just once though...thx
My Blog
Right now it is med/low porosity. I usually use heavier oils though castor oil etc.

Sent from my GT-P1000N using CurlTalk App
I haven't had any trouble with CJ CQ flaking. For my shoulder-length hair (fine-medium porosity), I used (throughout the summer) 3 half-dollar size blobs of CQ, in very wet hair, over CJ CCCC lite. I then raked, combed, shaked, scrunched, and plopped. I had 2-3 days of good hair regularly with no flakes.
hair type: 2B/3A
low poo: Elucence moisture; Elucence clarifying (after swimming)
condish: CJ smoothing; CJ argan; CJ repair me; CJ curl rehab; CJ strengthening (summer only)
winter/spring styling: CJ Beauticurls leave-in + Curly Kinks coil jam + Ouidad mongongo oil; or CJ leave-in + SpiralSolutions CEJ & FHG
summer/fall styling: CJ CCCC lite + CJ Curl Queen
http://members.fotki.com/melaniesusan/ pw = 3ahair
So, I have had Pattern Pusha for about 6 months now. I have tried it in a million combinations with no luck until now. I know most people would of given up by now but with so many people saying how much they loved it I figured it must of been me not the product with the issue.

I even emailed Marsha about it and she had some suggestions but those didn't work for me either. I looked on here and found that someone had good results with Deva Angel over it. So that's what I tried, with a LI underneath.

Curl Junkie Coco Curl Creme Light
Pattern Pusha
Deva Angel

I was so over the Deva products but with this mix the Angel is back on. I actually used just a nickel amount of the CCCL on damp hair, then I smoothed in a little PP on top paying attention to the crown. Next I did the super soaker method and scrunched in handfuls of water. Now a quarter amount of the PP and the a quarter amount of Angel on top and continued to scrunch. Did a little dabbing with a T-shirt and then plopped with the T-shirt. Waited about 10 - 15 minutes and took out the plop and pinned to air dry. Sounds like a lot of steps but not bad at all. I am lazy so I always air dry instead of diffusing.

I do have fine hair and this doesn't weigh it down but with thicker coarse hair it would probably work with more product.

I am just glad now I can say I'm a fan of the PP after all these months.
3b very fine & very thin, normal porosity
Modified CG, since September 2006
Shampoos: Devacurl No Poo or Low Poo, TJ Tea Tree Tingle
Conditioner: Deva One, GVP Conditioning Balm, TJ Nourish, Kenra & TJ Tea Tree Tingle
LIs: Curl Friends Replenish, KCKT, Satin Roots
Stylers: AG:Recoil, Angell, Devacurl Set It Free, KCCC, JC CIAB, JC Pattern Pusha, BRHG
New HG: Coily Kinks Line - Clean Creme, Satin Roots & Coil Jam
DT: JC Curl Rehab
Old HG: Prive Curl Activating Creme - Not GC
Thanks RingletGirl, I have a lone bottle of AnGel in my stash (couldn't get that gel to work for me either yet), so maybe I'll give it a try with PP.

As far as CQ, it's just really weird on my hair. I haven't figured out why yet, since it's very similar to other thin gels that I like (similar consistency to Ouidad gels which is why I bought CQ). I won't give up on figuring it out, though it is looking like it might be a leave-in issue but we'll see. The scientist/researcher in me is dying to solve the case, lol.