-   -   Shea Moisture Yucca&Baobab mask vs Curl Junkie Repair Me! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/150233-shea-moisture-yucca-baobab-mask-vs-curl-junkie-repair-me.html)

Deborah<3 09-28-2012 03:45 AM

Shea Moisture Yucca&Baobab mask vs Curl Junkie Repair Me!

Ok, girls.
I need your reviews: once a month (or more, it depends on your hair) we need a PT.
I bought SM yucca mask because it's also moisturizing...
but I wanted to know if CJ Repair Me is better than SM mask as PT or if they're the same 'cause, you know, CJ products are so much expensive!:hmph:

P.S. the half of my hair is still bleached by Schultz (do u know this product? Well, DON'T use it. It says it's natural: It's NOT) so it's still very damaged (it's a very light blond while the rest of my hair is light brown-dark blond).
Usually, I do a treatment with mayo once a week. Is it ok?:happy6:
I don't know if this is the right section for this post...excuse me =C
Thankssss :walk:

poemaXX 10-29-2012 01:42 AM

bump! :blob8: I'm also curious to how these two products stack up. I'd love to try CJ Repair Me!, but that price tag? Damn.

MaggieT 10-29-2012 08:02 AM

I haven't tried the CJ Repair Me yet, but love their other products. (I only get them when Curl Mart is having a sale!) The SM Yucca & Baobab smells so bad I had to wash my hair three times to get the smell out and STILL got a migraine from it. BEWARE! Worst smelling product on earth, IMO. Have you tried just dampening/detangling your hair, whisking and egg, and brushing it carefully over the length of your hair and letting it sit for 20 minutes? This is a great PT for me; I rinse it out and then follow with something moisturizing and am good to go. :)

moosegrl_86 10-29-2012 08:26 AM

I like the repair me better. It doesn't leave my hair feeling like straw like other protein treatments. I tried the yucca mask and it left my hair dry. That smells will stay on your hands for days and it's quite strong (perfume & flowers).

poemaXX 10-29-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2060399)

Yeah, I've heard the smell of SM Yucca Baobab can be overwhelming! On the other hand, I'm not a fan of putting egg in my hair plus I've heard hydrolyzed proteins (like gelatin, which is hydrolyzed collagen) are more effective on hair. AO GBP is working well for me... But after your endorsement I'm one step cloer to being a PJ for CJ. :)

Originally Posted by moosegrl_86 (Post 2060407)

Thanks for the comparative review, moosegrl_86!

yossarian 10-30-2012 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2060399)

Originally Posted by moosegrl_86 (Post 2060407)

L'Oreal's EverCreme cleansing conditioner had that effect on me (MAJOR headache), but I haven't had an issue with the SM Y&B. I haven't tried the mask yet, but I use the poo and conditioner regularly. They do smell strongly of gardenia, similar to CJ Curl Rehab's coconut-gardenia scent. I happen to like it alot, but if you're sensitive it could be a problem.

CJ RM just didn't do anything for me, but judging from the board, I'm an exception in that regard.

I've got 2 rainchecks from CVS burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm tempted to get both the yucca and the purification masques. I'll post a review if (who's kidding whom, when) I do.

curvesncurls 10-30-2012 11:02 AM

I <3 CJ Repair Me :D I especially love that I don't need to do a separate DT afterwards since it's really moisturizing. I've never tried the SM treatment, but I do use the SM Y&B shampoo and I actually kind of like the smell. I have a lot of hair and it loves protein so I only use the RM maybe once a month. I use Mill Creek Keratin Repair conditioner as a RO and occasional PT to help offset the cost of the CJ since the Mill Creek is only $5 for a 16oz bottle on Vitacost and it's cruelty free, which is important to me. I'm holding out for a SM BOGO sale somewhere and then maybe I'll give the mask a shot. I'm always looking for cheap alternatives to the pricey brands I love so much!

poemaXX 10-30-2012 12:56 PM

Word. :cyclops: I'm always looking for organic, cruelty-free stuff. Loving Aubrey Organics and Shea Moisture so far. (Wonder if we can get Vitacost to carry SM... Hm!) I'll have to check out Mill Creek!

Just got the SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner and Milk I think they smell gorgeous! :laughing8: Someone had to like it, I guess.

Originally Posted by curvesncurls (Post 2061260)

MaggieT 10-31-2012 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2060463)

I also love this product! It doesn't work as a rinse-out for me, but if I DT with it even for just fifteen minutes, I think it's amazing. I'm interested in the Spiral Solutions protein treatment, which people seem to like; and CJ Beauticurls Strengthening is a very nice rinse-out protein for when you just need a little. But you can't beat how natural and nice-smelling AO is.

I am CRACKING UP that you love the smell of the Yucca & Baobab! I guess someone DID have to love it. :) I took mine back to the store or I'd pass it on.

yossarian 10-31-2012 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2061760)

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2060463)

Money saving tip: Aubrey (along with many other companies) will send you free samples if you e-mail them. I never got around to using mine (so many products, so little time ...), but I just might have to pull them out, as a public service. :iconbiggrin:

I really like the scent of the Y&B, but it does present a problem for my son, as it's rather feminine! So he can't use it every day, or he'd get his butt kicked at school :sad:

poemaXX 10-31-2012 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by yossarian (Post 2061768)

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2061760)

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2060463)

Whoa! You just blew my mind. :shock: FREE SAMPLES?! Well, you can bet I just e-mailed them to see if they can send me samples of the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask, the White Camellia Conditioner and the Rosa Mosqueta Conditioner. I've been dying to try them, but found the hair mask pricey and didn't want to invest in conditioners I might not like all that much if two of theirs were already providing awesome results. :toothy7: Let's see what they reply...

Aw, and you're right that the Yucca Baobab scent is very feminine. It borders on grandma, but for now I'll just call it floral, since I like it. ;)

poemaXX 10-31-2012 11:52 AM

Just got a reply from Aubrey Organics customer service saying they'll send me a 1-time sample package. Neat! :blob5:

MsCurl83 10-31-2012 10:32 PM

Ive used the SM yucca and baobab mask. The first time my hair felt like straw. But the second time I tweaked everything. Basically put it on section by section smoothing from root to ends and then added coconut oil on top and used my Huetiful steamer. Got soft hair. The smell doesn't bother me at all. It does have. It does have biotin which is protein. plus what Ouse to moisturize and seal those styler eliminate that smell altogether. Use Shea mix and SM coconut and hibiscus hair milk this last time and sealed with castor oil. Hair smells great.

yossarian 11-01-2012 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2061873)

Yes, they are very responsive. I received mine within a week! This is what I got:

Honeysuckle Rose poo & condish
GPB poo & condish
Creme de la Shave - raspberry honey
Sunscreen 30+
Lumessence Lift firming renewal cream
Lumessence rejuvenating eye cream
Sea Buckthorn moisturizing cream
Rosa Mosqueta luxurious moisturizing lotion

I didn't ask for anything in particular, though, so they might send the Blue Algae, White Camellia and Rosa Mosqueta conditioners since you specifically requested them.

asianrunner 11-03-2012 12:14 PM

I've never tried the SM but love the Repair Me! My hair is a little picky about protein but has no problem with this one. I've had my bottle for nearly year and since I rarely do PTs, it's still mostly full. I've also used it as a protein heavy rinse out and my hair does fine.

I find it very moisturizing for a PT; I never get that hard feeling after using it. Plus, it smells good. ;)

Jpop825 11-11-2012 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2061341)

Just got the SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner and Milk – I think they smell gorgeous! :laughing8: Someone had to like it, I guess.

I LOVE the smell as well, LOVE!! It's amazing how different everyone is with scent sensitivities and preferences