Shea Moisture Yucca&Baobab mask vs Curl Junkie Repair Me!

• 1 Post By MaggieT
  • 1 Post By asianrunner
  • 1 Post By Jpop825

Ok, girls.
I need your reviews: once a month (or more, it depends on your hair) we need a PT.
I bought SM yucca mask because it's also moisturizing...
but I wanted to know if CJ Repair Me is better than SM mask as PT or if they're the same 'cause, you know, CJ products are so much expensive!

P.S. the half of my hair is still bleached by Schultz (do u know this product? Well, DON'T use it. It says it's natural: It's NOT) so it's still very damaged (it's a very light blond while the rest of my hair is light brown-dark blond).
Usually, I do a treatment with mayo once a week. Is it ok?
I don't know if this is the right section for this post...excuse me =C
Thankssss
___Visca el Barηa!!!<3

~

{ 3a with 3b underneath; medium/coarse texture; normal porosity (?); Medium/Low elasticity (?) }

bump! I'm also curious to how these two products stack up. I'd love to try CJ Repair Me!, but that price tag? Damn.
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD prone & Propylene Glycol Sensitive

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment Neutrogena T-Sal; H&S Clinical Strength

I haven't tried the CJ Repair Me yet, but love their other products. (I only get them when Curl Mart is having a sale!) The SM Yucca & Baobab smells so bad I had to wash my hair three times to get the smell out and STILL got a migraine from it. BEWARE! Worst smelling product on earth, IMO. Have you tried just dampening/detangling your hair, whisking and egg, and brushing it carefully over the length of your hair and letting it sit for 20 minutes? This is a great PT for me; I rinse it out and then follow with something moisturizing and am good to go.
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)
I like the repair me better. It doesn't leave my hair feeling like straw like other protein treatments. I tried the yucca mask and it left my hair dry. That smells will stay on your hands for days and it's quite strong (perfume & flowers).
Whoop whoop!
GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
Originally Posted by MaggieT
Yeah, I've heard the smell of SM Yucca Baobab can be overwhelming! On the other hand, I'm not a fan of putting egg in my hair – plus I've heard hydrolyzed proteins (like gelatin, which is hydrolyzed collagen) are more effective on hair. AO GBP is working well for me... But after your endorsement I'm one step cloer to being a PJ for CJ.

Originally Posted by moosegrl_86
Thanks for the comparative review, moosegrl_86!

Originally Posted by moosegrl_86
L'Oreal's EverCreme cleansing conditioner had that effect on me (MAJOR headache), but I haven't had an issue with the SM Y&B. I haven't tried the mask yet, but I use the poo and conditioner regularly. They do smell strongly of gardenia, similar to CJ Curl Rehab's coconut-gardenia scent. I happen to like it alot, but if you're sensitive it could be a problem.

CJ RM just didn't do anything for me, but judging from the board, I'm an exception in that regard.

I've got 2 rainchecks from CVS burning a hole in my pocket, and I'm tempted to get both the yucca and the purification masques. I'll post a review if (who's kidding whom, when) I do.
I <3 CJ Repair Me I especially love that I don't need to do a separate DT afterwards since it's really moisturizing. I've never tried the SM treatment, but I do use the SM Y&B shampoo and I actually kind of like the smell. I have a lot of hair and it loves protein so I only use the RM maybe once a month. I use Mill Creek Keratin Repair conditioner as a RO and occasional PT to help offset the cost of the CJ since the Mill Creek is only $5 for a 16oz bottle on Vitacost and it's cruelty free, which is important to me. I'm holding out for a SM BOGO sale somewhere and then maybe I'll give the mask a shot. I'm always looking for cheap alternatives to the pricey brands I love so much!
Southern WI curly ~ mostly 2b/c with 2a/b underlayer and a few 3a curls on top
Low porosity, fine hair but LOTS of it!
Loves protein. Dislikes butters and heavy oils.
Working toward natural products and streamlining!!
Current Loves: JCCC, Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil, CK Coil Jam
Word. I'm always looking for organic, cruelty-free stuff. Loving Aubrey Organics and Shea Moisture so far. (Wonder if we can get Vitacost to carry SM... Hm!) I'll have to check out Mill Creek!

Just got the SM Yucca Baobab Conditioner and Milk – I think they smell gorgeous! Someone had to like it, I guess.

Originally Posted by curvesncurls

Originally Posted by poemaXX
I also love this product! It doesn't work as a rinse-out for me, but if I DT with it even for just fifteen minutes, I think it's amazing. I'm interested in the Spiral Solutions protein treatment, which people seem to like; and CJ Beauticurls Strengthening is a very nice rinse-out protein for when you just need a little. But you can't beat how natural and nice-smelling AO is.

I am CRACKING UP that you love the smell of the Yucca & Baobab! I guess someone DID have to love it. I took mine back to the store or I'd pass it on.
poemaXX likes this.
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)

Originally Posted by MaggieT
Money saving tip: Aubrey (along with many other companies) will send you free samples if you e-mail them. I never got around to using mine (so many products, so little time ...), but I just might have to pull them out, as a public service.

I really like the scent of the Y&B, but it does present a problem for my son, as it's rather feminine! So he can't use it every day, or he'd get his butt kicked at school

Last edited by yossarian; 10-31-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Originally Posted by yossarian
Whoa! You just blew my mind. FREE SAMPLES?! Well, you can bet I just e-mailed them to see if they can send me samples of the Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue Conditioning Mask, the White Camellia Conditioner and the Rosa Mosqueta Conditioner. I've been dying to try them, but found the hair mask pricey and didn't want to invest in conditioners I might not like all that much if two of theirs were already providing awesome results. Let's see what they reply...

Aw, and you're right that the Yucca Baobab scent is very feminine. It borders on grandma, but for now I'll just call it floral, since I like it.

Just got a reply from Aubrey Organics customer service saying they'll send me a 1-time sample package. Neat!

Ive used the SM yucca and baobab mask. The first time my hair felt like straw. But the second time I tweaked everything. Basically put it on section by section smoothing from root to ends and then added coconut oil on top and used my Huetiful steamer. Got soft hair. The smell doesn't bother me at all. It does have. It does have biotin which is protein. plus what Ouse to moisturize and seal those styler eliminate that smell altogether. Use Shea mix and SM coconut and hibiscus hair milk this last time and sealed with castor oil. Hair smells great.
"My hair is a reflection of my personality:
wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
BSL now
As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

Originally Posted by poemaXX
Yes, they are very responsive. I received mine within a week! This is what I got:

Honeysuckle Rose poo & condish
GPB poo & condish
Creme de la Shave - raspberry honey
Sunscreen 30+
Lumessence Lift firming renewal cream
Lumessence rejuvenating eye cream
Sea Buckthorn moisturizing cream
Rosa Mosqueta luxurious moisturizing lotion

I didn't ask for anything in particular, though, so they might send the Blue Algae, White Camellia and Rosa Mosqueta conditioners since you specifically requested them.
I've never tried the SM but love the Repair Me! My hair is a little picky about protein but has no problem with this one. I've had my bottle for nearly year and since I rarely do PTs, it's still mostly full. I've also used it as a protein heavy rinse out and my hair does fine.

I find it very moisturizing for a PT; I never get that hard feeling after using it. Plus, it smells good.
rbb likes this.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Originally Posted by poemaXX
I LOVE the smell as well, LOVE!! It's amazing how different everyone is with scent sensitivities and preferences
poemaXX likes this.