-   -   My new HG: Deva Volumizing Foam - WOW (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/150482-my-new-hg-deva-volumizing-foam-wow.html)

curlypearl 10-03-2012 05:43 PM

My new HG: Deva Volumizing Foam - WOW

I love this! I tried this today after shampoo and condish. I didn't use anything else and got masses of light, bouncy, shiny curls and pretty ringlets even though I just scrunched, didn't twirl. If this continues to behave this way it will be my new HG. I'm thrilled with this. I like it better than anything else I've tried and the dewpoint was 70 so it held up even during the humidity. I hope it continues to be great.

The main thing that distinguishes it from curl cremes and gels that I've tried (and I've tried them all) is that it doesn't weigh down my curls or make them sticky. They just bounce with every movement of my head. Hee! :flower:

Crownedwisdom 10-04-2012 03:55 PM

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your review

rbb 10-04-2012 06:25 PM

curlypearl -- is your hair texture fine?

not sure mousses are good for my hair, but you've got me tempted. i'll look over the ingredients...... maybe my next buy on aveyou i'll include this.

Curlsnswirls 10-04-2012 06:28 PM

I'm tempted as well!! I've wanted to try this out for a while. Does anyone have an aveyou coupon code? :D

rbb 10-04-2012 06:45 PM

FIVE -- 15% off any amount.

AVEYOU25 -- $25 off $100.

Curlsnswirls 10-04-2012 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by rbb (Post 2046424)
FIVE -- 15% off any amount.

AVEYOU25 -- $25 off $100.

Thank you!!!!

curlypearl 10-04-2012 07:30 PM

Yes, my texture is fine, so that is probably why this worked so well!

But I have to tell you, it didn't last very well into the 2nd day. I got quite a lot of frizz. But I didn't do anything to it this a.m., maybe if I had spritzed it with water or added a little more foam or something it would have been better.:dontknow:

Still, for the first day it was positively amazing. The dew today is 70 so that's very high. Maybe it just doesn't work in very high dews.

If either of you (or all 3) try it, please post back. I'm very interested to hear your opinions. Also, if you have a suggestion for how to deal with the 2nd day hair when you've used mousse the first day, please post back. Thanks very much for responding! :toothy4:

ETA: I'm still really thrilled with the volume, even though the curls are less defined. It looks a little wild, but I prefer this crazy volume to a thin defined look.

Curlsnswirls 10-05-2012 09:26 PM

I broke down and ordered the foam and hairspray :tongue3:.

curlypearl 10-06-2012 09:48 AM

Oh, please let me know how it works for you! Also, if you find a great way to get 2nd day hair with the foam, please post. :happy7:

WebDesign 10-23-2012 05:49 AM

I'm curious to read additional results as my "lots of fine" 3a hair doesn't like either mousse or hairspray. The only products my hair won't rebel against are leave in conditioners and gels... but I'm always willing to try new products!

Korkscrew 10-24-2012 01:58 AM

I'm glad this product is giving you volume! Sorry to hear things failed a little on the 2nd day. KCCC does for me what you're describing: gives volume and boosts curl but doesn't quite "keep". I have to add an additional product (gel).

Since your hair is fine, this recommendation may not work, but I'll put it out there anyway: Have you tried placing a light gel over it, or a tiny bit of coconut oil as a sealer? Obviously it'd be better if you could just use the foam and not have to layer products :angry3:

curlypearl 10-27-2012 07:58 AM

WebDesign, I wish I had "lots" of fine hair as you do. My hair is thin to medium. What products do you use?

Korkscrew, I agree with you. If I want hold over this mousse, I'll have to add gel.

Meanwhile, the dewpoints are now optimal as the weather has changed so I've been using CCCL and KCCC instead of the mousse, but I may try that again with gel on top.

Interested to know if any of you tried it and your results.

Myrna 10-27-2012 09:07 AM

Curlypearl and others, I have been useing the Deva Foam since summer. It remains the best mousse on my list. I do NOT have fine hair at all. I live in Wisconsin, which many of you may know, had record high temps this summer, and now it is cool. I do use it with a gel underneath, Biotera, and that worked really well in the summer. Less well now, as it is getting colder, but I am experimenting. I may need to "seal" my hair like many here do. If your curls are not holding up, I suggest a little gel underneath the foam. I agree it is a great product, my most expensive, but it lasts a long time, and as someone said, it is also expensive to buy a lot of products that dont work.

curlypearl 10-27-2012 10:00 AM

Myrna, I'm just checking what you said. You suggest gel beneath the foam, not on top? Glad it is working for you! I want to find a way to work with it in colder weather.

Myrna 10-27-2012 10:29 AM

Yes. For years, if I used both mousse and gel, I applied the mousse first because I felt it provided a "base" for the gel. However, since learning the Deva method, I have reversed it, because both gel and foam get scrunched in. I have not tried reversing it again, back to Foam first, then gel...there may be a reason to do this with winter coming, but I dont know what it would be, and in the end, I am not sure it matters. When I used the foam by itself, I got great shiny curls, but by the end of the day, they were sort of sad looking with some frizz, so I think the foam needs something else. I have never tried a curl cream; I know some curlies use a curl cream under a mousse or foam. My stylist suggested this but we have not tried it. I see her on Monday, so maybe then...

curlypearl 10-27-2012 01:40 PM

Myrna, I have exactly the same experience as you: if I use just the foam I have great shiny curls that don't last - so that is why I think I need to use a gel over it.

BTW, the best curl creme I have tried is Curl Junkie Coffee Cocoa Curl-creme Lite (CCCL) which is a favorite of many on this site.

I never thought of curl creme and foam and I wonder whether that would give sufficient hold. Might be a great combo in different weather when the dewpoint is higher and there isn't much wind. More experimenting is in my future - I can see that. :toothy8:

Myrna 10-27-2012 03:16 PM

Hi, Curlypearl: Every day, since it got cooler here (I am in Wisconsin, and in winter it can be very dry, or very humid) I look at my bottle of LALSG, and wonder if I should try it under my Deva foam instead of my biotera gel from Sally. Today my curls are great. I dont think I did anything special, but I am also eyeballing my shampoo and conditioner. I use the SM line of shampoos; the coconut hibiscus and the moisture retention; I think the latter may be better for cooler weather. I also used a different conditioner today, VO5's Shea Cashmere. So, I guess I will do the same thing tomorrow and see what happens. But, you use gel OVER the foam? I use it under the foam...wonder if it matters.

seamelody14 10-28-2012 04:34 PM

Oh, I need to try this now too! I also have fine curls and prefer wild volume over definition, and my favorite curl creme is CCCCL, so that does it, I need this.

curlypearl 10-28-2012 06:16 PM

Myrna, I wonder also whether underneath or on top makes a difference. So many factors to consider! I used just the foam today and it looks great but I may try a little bit of gel over it tonight and let it dry before sleeping and see if I can get 2nd day hair.

Seamelody - very exciting! Let us know if you like the foam and what technique you are using. I hope it works for you! I'm planning on trying it with CCCL but I'm not sure I'll get enough definition that way. :flower:

Jpop825 11-06-2012 05:24 PM

Browsing the review forums and found this. I just bought one of these and don't really like it. I have it for sale on the swap boards

It made my hair sticky, rough, and tangled. I've got 2c/3a low porosity, super fine, moderate density, hair. I really wish I could get it to work