-   -   mario diab-carlos-new curl product line (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/150483-mario-diab-carlos-new-curl-product-line.html)

Bettyboopnyc 10-03-2012 06:19 PM

mario diab-carlos-new curl product line

To my fellow NY curlies
I am thinking of making an appt with Carlos after reading all of your rave reviews.
Before I go, have any of you tried their new product line?
I have very low resistance when stylists try to get me to buy products, it doesnt sound like in the past Carlos has pushed buying anything, but now may be they will be more inclined to do so since it is their own line

Just want to be prepared, so any feedback would be helpful.

Thanks!

rbb 10-04-2012 06:08 AM

carlos is great! no one at mario diab pushes you to buy anything. all the products are on display at the receptionist's desk, but unless you ask, no one mentions.
it's carlos' line, not mario diab's. mario has his own line of stuff there. carlos will use his products on your hair, unless you bring your own which is ok, and he might talk about what is in them a bit, but you will not feel any pressure whatsoever.
you can order them from them for a flat rate $5 shipping fee, or order them on carlos' nyc curls website, or order them from amazon. so in the very unlikely event that anyone offers them, you can say you have to wait. but i've been going there since carlos left devachan and joined mario, and have never been offered a product. and, one of my friends gets her hair cut by mario, and they have never asked her if she wanted to buy his products. you'll see, it's very upscale, classy.

Bettyboopnyc 10-04-2012 06:33 PM

nyc curls by Carlos Flores

I am even more excited to go.

...would you recommend that I try Carlos' products?

I am a 3A on a good day
my hair seems similar to yours, but only 20% gray and trying to stay with it

rbb 10-04-2012 06:43 PM

unless your products are your HGs, then why not give nyc curls a try? won't cost anything!
whatever products you decide for your cut, the cut is what you are going for, so why not try out some new products? unless you are going out and about in the city right after appointment and want to be sure about your hair, i'd give them a try.

hondo1 10-05-2012 12:56 PM

I had Carlos cut my hair and also bought the gel before leaving. When he did my hair with it, it worked OK but not great. I like a fair bit of volume, which I didn't get from it, even when I tried it at home. But I haven't given up on it yet. I'm going to try mixing it with a clear, stronger gel (his is kind of white opaque with not a lot of hold) and see how that works.

I didn't buy the co-wash or the conditioner because I have products coming out of my eyeballs!

Bettyboopnyc 10-05-2012 01:51 PM

I think I will have him style my hair after the cut with his products, and decide for the next visit before buying.

if you dont mind, can you tell me how ofter you go back for cuts...
I am trying to push to 16 weeks or longer, otherwise it is just to expensive...

hondo1 10-05-2012 02:08 PM

I've only had him cut my hair once, as I just went CG about 5 weeks ago. He did chop off about 7-8 inches, as I have been straightening my hair (Japanese and keratin, along with hot dryers and irons - it's no wonder I still have any hair!) for many, many years and the worst damage was the long part, and that part was still mostly straight so it looked kind of stupid. I still have about 2-3 inches left to cut off but he didn't want to go any shorter the first time.
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Not sure how often I'll go back - have to see how it starts to grow in.

rbb 10-05-2012 05:42 PM

16 weeks or longer is not pushing it, probably just about right. i've gone as long as 5 months, but usually about 3 to 4 months works for my hair. my hair is short and i have a loose curl. i think the tighter the curl, the longer you can go.