-   -   Products that surprise you (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/151342-products-surprise-you.html)

curlypearl 10-27-2012 11:07 AM

Products that surprise you

I got a sample of Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and I was surprised by it. It is hard and waxy in the container and I thought it would be much too sticky for my curls but it's not like that at all once I emulsify it. It gave my curls shine and a little control.

It is cg; I hope it comes out without difficulty.

What products have surprised you?

seamelody14 11-03-2012 04:29 PM

Herbnlife royal rinse shampoo. The consistency is literally like water and it's not great at lathering either. It took me a few tries to learn how to use it without wasting a bunch, I mean the first time I used it I used up a third of the bottle. Now I only use a small amount, maybe even less than regular shampoo. But anyway, despite the consistency and later, I LOVVEEE this stuff! It is my HG shampoo (low-poo actually), it cleans well and leaves my hair full of body, but at the same time, it moisturized, detangler, and leaves my hair ridiculously soft.

curlypearl 11-03-2012 05:04 PM

Seamelody, where do you buy that shampoo? It sounds lovely.

poemaXX 11-03-2012 10:39 PM

I just tried Oyin Handmade Hair Dew and am really impressed. It seemed pretty mild/unsubstantial when I had it in my hands, but it provided nice soft hold to my curls. My curls feel moisturized and defined with no crunch whatsoever – and I don't see build-up on the horizon as I do with some of my other combos!

This one might be a keeper... :) Also, I second you on JC Nourish and Shine. Great for sealing or taming frizzies on second day hair.

ADDING: Henna was also a big surprise – it makes my hair's cuticle smooth (my ends feel as though I've gotten a trim!) and I love the color. It also gives me more curl definition, so I can use less products to style, which is awesome.

seamelody14 11-03-2012 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by curlypearl (Post 2063745)
Seamelody, where do you buy that shampoo? It sounds lovely.

Unfortunately I've only found it online, another downside (still worth it though) but I've heard that its available at certain health food stores. There's one in particular that I know I don't have near me, and I forget the name, but denimpixie (on YouTube) mentions it in her review for this. I order off the herbnlife website, which I think is the only online vendor that sells it. But definitely see if you can get it on ground first, because most people reviewing this brand say they get it on ground :)

Knotty_Maddy 11-12-2012 10:53 PM

Aussie Instant Freeze gel...cost next to nothing, and so I wasn't sure it would really be great - I used to use their products ages ago, when I was a teenager (like, back when there were dinosaurs, lol!) I was surprised at the fact that it wasn't really sticky or goopy...and also surprised that it worked like a charm :) finally got the big gel cast thing going on that everyone talks about :D it really gave my curl formation a boost, and it smells of nothing, so that is awesome, too! Love!

Sandi 11-13-2012 08:50 PM

GDLI. It's actually a really interesting story. I had been using it sparingly because I got awful crunch and some residue, and then one day, I actually read the directions and partially dried with a microfiber pillowcase until my hair was damp and smoothed it on, and it looked amazing. No frizz at all upon drying---used with a little bit of CHSCK.

Most of my other leave-ins I can't apply to damp hair (they need soaking wet to get any clumping whatsoever), but GDLI needs damp hair.

My second... I tried a sample packet of AG:Recoil Curl Activating Shampoo. The thing that freaked me out about this was that I was about 90% sure it would dry the crap out of my hair (despite being a low poo). I used (accidentally) more than I use of KC Come Clean, and it actually lathered, also scaring me. However, I felt my hair then for squeakiness, and found none. It was so-so, maybe even soft. I followed with a light co-wash of Suave Coconut and and my hair was ridiculously soft and already forming definition. I think I might have even gotten a bit of shine (though AOHR helped that along).

CurlyMJ 11-13-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2063865)

I've been eyeing this lately. How do you use this? On its own or paired with something under and over?

poemaXX 11-14-2012 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by CurlyMJ (Post 2069953)

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2063865)

I've used it on its own and liked it a lot. Now I'm experimenting with layering something over and/or sealing... It seems that it's hard to go wrong with this one!

CurlyMJ 11-14-2012 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 2070004)

I've used it on it's own and liked it a lot. Now I'm experimenting with layering something over and/or sealing... It seems that it's hard to go wrong with this one!

Thanks! Now to try and control the PJ in me until Black Friday!

blu_gtar87 11-18-2012 10:53 PM

I don't know if this is considered a product, but CASTOR OIL.

When someone first suggested it to me, I was thinking meh :P. It just seemed to thick and slimy and i dont know..

Anyway someone gave me a bit to try and WOWEE. It made my hair feel so soft when I paired it with my leave in and it made my hair really shiny. A plus is that it mixes well with my other products too. It was definitely a surprise for me lol

Rusycurly 11-18-2012 11:54 PM

The product that surprised the heck out of me was Shescentit avocado conditioner. It looked so runny I doubted it was gonna do anything. I love it. It has become my favorite conditioner and my favorite leave-in as well. It has replaced the curl junkie for me and these were staples. Shescentit works just as well and way cheaper!!!

jeepcurlygurl 11-19-2012 03:17 PM

I am still surprised ever day by how great LA Looks Sport Gel and Suave conditioners work. I'm also still surprised at how perfect Suave conditioners are for shaving my legs.
Surprised and pleased! : )

Spiralli 11-19-2012 04:16 PM

I was late to the fan party for LA Looks Sports Gel. It was a great surprise. Love that price/quantity ratio! It holds my hair nicely, no buildup, no frizz. Keeper!

wavycurly40+ 11-19-2012 04:22 PM

Kinky-curly knot today. I didn't try it for years because when I read the label, I was like, "Uh...there's nothing in here. Fruit juice? Marshmallow? WTH?" But I love the stuff. Go figure.

poemaXX 11-19-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by curlypearl (Post 2059461)

It is cg; I hope it comes out without difficulty.

What products have surprised you?

Another things about Jane Carter Nourish and Shine: It's an awesome cuticle butter!

kurlygurly 11-21-2012 11:55 AM

Those cheap ass suave naturals conditioners (sun-ripened strawberry... mango Mandarin.... refreshing waterfall mist) but NOT the coconut version.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal

mrslovett 12-05-2012 04:45 PM

I am reallllly into garnier now. I used to hate their stuff but I think it's reformulated now. I don't bother with the no shampoo methods as a six month experiment went horribly bad and by the end I still looked like I was brushing my hair with a pork chop no matter what products and tips and hints I tried. So I use everything garnier now. From shampoo and conditioner to their curly gel and volume mousse and their Argan oil. I even use their skin care products like the wrinkle cream and bbcream (their bbcream is AMAZING). I sometimes switch it up but I never find anything better.

You'd think they paid me...

And non hair related, I was very surprised with the little tins of tattoo goo. I heal twice as fast with them. They're harder to find without ordering so I just buy tat wax which is almost a good.
H2ocean stuff is awful though. I worked as a piercer so I looked up their piercing wash and the ph and ingredients mostly suck. Sea salt soaks are the way to go. And they end up costing you pennies.

NvmbrCurlss 12-05-2012 11:41 PM

Grapeseed oil surprised the crap outta me! I'm so picky with oils and this was just so meant to be...

naaomiij 12-06-2012 01:40 AM

Sea Salt spray, REALLY enhanced my waves like no other.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App