Products that surprise you

I got a sample of Jane Carter Nourish and Shine and I was surprised by it. It is hard and waxy in the container and I thought it would be much too sticky for my curls but it's not like that at all once I emulsify it. It gave my curls shine and a little control.

It is cg; I hope it comes out without difficulty.

What products have surprised you?
rbb and poemaXX like this.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Herbnlife royal rinse shampoo. The consistency is literally like water and it's not great at lathering either. It took me a few tries to learn how to use it without wasting a bunch, I mean the first time I used it I used up a third of the bottle. Now I only use a small amount, maybe even less than regular shampoo. But anyway, despite the consistency and later, I LOVVEEE this stuff! It is my HG shampoo (low-poo actually), it cleans well and leaves my hair full of body, but at the same time, it moisturized, detangler, and leaves my hair ridiculously soft.
auntcurly likes this.
2a/b
medium/thick
high porosity (from coloring)

Shampoo: Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
Co-wash: Chistophe Robin Lemon Cleansing Cream
RO: CJ strengthening, Kenra moisturizing
LI: Jessicurl Aloeba
DT: CJ rehab, Christophe Robin Prickly Pear Mask
PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 minute
Stylers: Jessicurl RR, SS Firm Hold Gel
Oils: caudalie, sweet almond
Seamelody, where do you buy that shampoo? It sounds lovely.
2/c and some 3A.
Protein sensitive but can use occasionally
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I just tried Oyin Handmade Hair Dew and am really impressed. It seemed pretty mild/unsubstantial when I had it in my hands, but it provided nice soft hold to my curls. My curls feel moisturized and defined with no crunch whatsoever – and I don't see build-up on the horizon as I do with some of my other combos!

This one might be a keeper... Also, I second you on JC Nourish and Shine. Great for sealing or taming frizzies on second day hair.

ADDING: Henna was also a big surprise – it makes my hair's cuticle smooth (my ends feel as though I've gotten a trim!) and I love the color. It also gives me more curl definition, so I can use less products to style, which is awesome.
curlypearl likes this.
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ Kept for troubleshooting.

Last edited by poemaXX; 11-03-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: adding henn
Seamelody, where do you buy that shampoo? It sounds lovely.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
Unfortunately I've only found it online, another downside (still worth it though) but I've heard that its available at certain health food stores. There's one in particular that I know I don't have near me, and I forget the name, but denimpixie (on YouTube) mentions it in her review for this. I order off the herbnlife website, which I think is the only online vendor that sells it. But definitely see if you can get it on ground first, because most people reviewing this brand say they get it on ground
2a/b
medium/thick
high porosity (from coloring)

Shampoo: Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
Co-wash: Chistophe Robin Lemon Cleansing Cream
RO: CJ strengthening, Kenra moisturizing
LI: Jessicurl Aloeba
DT: CJ rehab, Christophe Robin Prickly Pear Mask
PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 minute
Stylers: Jessicurl RR, SS Firm Hold Gel
Oils: caudalie, sweet almond
Aussie Instant Freeze gel...cost next to nothing, and so I wasn't sure it would really be great - I used to use their products ages ago, when I was a teenager (like, back when there were dinosaurs, lol!) I was surprised at the fact that it wasn't really sticky or goopy...and also surprised that it worked like a charm finally got the big gel cast thing going on that everyone talks about it really gave my curl formation a boost, and it smells of nothing, so that is awesome, too! Love!
myhairDOTcom likes this.
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
GDLI. It's actually a really interesting story. I had been using it sparingly because I got awful crunch and some residue, and then one day, I actually read the directions and partially dried with a microfiber pillowcase until my hair was damp and smoothed it on, and it looked amazing. No frizz at all upon drying---used with a little bit of CHSCK.

Most of my other leave-ins I can't apply to damp hair (they need soaking wet to get any clumping whatsoever), but GDLI needs damp hair.

My second... I tried a sample packet of AG:Recoil Curl Activating Shampoo. The thing that freaked me out about this was that I was about 90% sure it would dry the crap out of my hair (despite being a low poo). I used (accidentally) more than I use of KC Come Clean, and it actually lathered, also scaring me. However, I felt my hair then for squeakiness, and found none. It was so-so, maybe even soft. I followed with a light co-wash of Suave Coconut and and my hair was ridiculously soft and already forming definition. I think I might have even gotten a bit of shine (though AOHR helped that along).
oethereal1 and curlypearl like this.
Hair Type: 3c/4a, Med-High Density
CG since '09

Last edited by Sandi; 11-13-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Originally Posted by poemaXX
I've been eyeing this lately. How do you use this? On its own or paired with something under and over?

Originally Posted by CurlyMJ
I've used it on its own and liked it a lot. Now I'm experimenting with layering something over and/or sealing... It seems that it's hard to go wrong with this one!

Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Last edited by poemaXX; 11-18-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo.

I've used it on it's own and liked it a lot. Now I'm experimenting with layering something over and/or sealing... It seems that it's hard to go wrong with this one!
Originally Posted by poemaXX
Thanks! Now to try and control the PJ in me until Black Friday!
curlypearl and poemaXX like this.
I don't know if this is considered a product, but CASTOR OIL.

When someone first suggested it to me, I was thinking meh :P. It just seemed to thick and slimy and i dont know..

Anyway someone gave me a bit to try and WOWEE. It made my hair feel so soft when I paired it with my leave in and it made my hair really shiny. A plus is that it mixes well with my other products too. It was definitely a surprise for me lol
curlypearl likes this.
Check out my blog: kinkycurlypixie.blogspot.com
or search me on youtube: blugtar87

Phone cord curls (dont know what type). Looser in the front and on top (maybe from heat damage?)

Happy to say that I am CG!

Teressentials Mud Wash. (As my cleanser and conditioner)
Giovanni's Direct Leave-In.
Castor oil
Ecco styler gel
The product that surprised the heck out of me was Shescentit avocado conditioner. It looked so runny I doubted it was gonna do anything. I love it. It has become my favorite conditioner and my favorite leave-in as well. It has replaced the curl junkie for me and these were staples. Shescentit works just as well and way cheaper!!!
Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,

Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
I am still surprised ever day by how great LA Looks Sport Gel and Suave conditioners work. I'm also still surprised at how perfect Suave conditioners are for shaving my legs.
Surprised and pleased! : )
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

I was late to the fan party for LA Looks Sports Gel. It was a great surprise. Love that price/quantity ratio! It holds my hair nicely, no buildup, no frizz. Keeper!
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Kinky-curly knot today. I didn't try it for years because when I read the label, I was like, "Uh...there's nothing in here. Fruit juice? Marshmallow? WTH?" But I love the stuff. Go figure.
Jeliah likes this.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.

It is cg; I hope it comes out without difficulty.

What products have surprised you?
Originally Posted by curlypearl
Another things about Jane Carter Nourish and Shine: It's an awesome cuticle butter!
rbb likes this.

Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Those cheap ass suave naturals conditioners (sun-ripened strawberry... mango Mandarin.... refreshing waterfall mist) but NOT the coconut version.

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
hemp oil, jojoba oil
www.naturesnectars.net
I am reallllly into garnier now. I used to hate their stuff but I think it's reformulated now. I don't bother with the no shampoo methods as a six month experiment went horribly bad and by the end I still looked like I was brushing my hair with a pork chop no matter what products and tips and hints I tried. So I use everything garnier now. From shampoo and conditioner to their curly gel and volume mousse and their Argan oil. I even use their skin care products like the wrinkle cream and bbcream (their bbcream is AMAZING). I sometimes switch it up but I never find anything better.

You'd think they paid me...

And non hair related, I was very surprised with the little tins of tattoo goo. I heal twice as fast with them. They're harder to find without ordering so I just buy tat wax which is almost a good.
H2ocean stuff is awful though. I worked as a piercer so I looked up their piercing wash and the ph and ingredients mostly suck. Sea salt soaks are the way to go. And they end up costing you pennies.
chloe92us likes this.

3a brunette/grey but dyed curls
Pernicious Anemia has me at 20% grey now!
I don't do CG. I use whatever shampoo and conditioner I have which is almost always garnier
Cleanse: Garnier Triple Nutrition Shampoo
Condition:Garnier Triple Nutrition Conditioner
Stylers: Garnier scrunch gel, argan/coconut oil, Got2Be Kinky mousse. Varies.
Tshirt plopper and super scruncher
Grapeseed oil surprised the crap outta me! I'm so picky with oils and this was just so meant to be...
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
Sea Salt spray, REALLY enhanced my waves like no other.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
2b-3a, 2b underlayer and straight roots.
low-med porosity, medium density, medium elasticity

CG since Nov '12. Making huge progress!

co wash: Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple & Daily Clarifying Conditioners
RO: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Conditioner
LI: GF PCC, water, EVOO & honey in spray bottle!
products i use: L.A. Looks Sport & Mega Mega Hold Gels

My hair hates curl creams and gets over conditioned easily.