As I Am coconut cowash

I've tried this cleansing conditioner a couple times now and I'm loving it - thanks to my hair twin NvmbrCurlss for recommending this It smells nice (light coconut and citrus scent, not overpowering), has decent slip for a cleansing conditioner, and leaves my hair clean and moisturized. My favorite cleansing conditioner is CJDF, but I will be alternating with this now. It doesn't contain the coco betaine, so if you're prone to buildup you may still need something with a bit more cleansing power once in a while. But the price is great - $7 at Sally's for a 16 oz. tub -making this a new staple for me. If you are looking for a good cleansing conditioner that is available on the ground and affordable, I highly recommend this product!
ashkins09 likes this.
fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate

My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!

CG since 12/29/2011
What a great review I'm gonna pick some of this up I think because the smell of the Loreal one I have is really hard to deal with.

Co-WashIngredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.
Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coconut

This is basically a conditioner, not sure how much more cleansing power it really has without cocobetaine. The Hydration elation ingredients that make it a little heavier & a little better IMO, but I'm not a fan of castor oil. It would probably cleanse just the same.

Hydration Elation: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Coco-Caprylate², Quaternium-91, Cetrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin¹, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Phytosterols¹, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract¹ (Green Tea), Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract¹, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Extract¹, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Stalk Extract¹, Fragrance/Parfum, Potassium Sorbate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glucose, Lactoperoxidase, Glucose Oxidase, Abies Balsamea (Balsam Canada) Extract¹, Limonene
Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coco

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Last edited by DEL2C; 10-29-2012 at 02:00 PM.
I was not sure what to think of this product at first. It stripped my hair, but at that point everything was stripping my hair. By the 3rd time I used it, I loved it. It really is a good co wash but I do not use it often. It builds up quickly in my hair, which is rare.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

I just wanted to clarify that this is definitely what I would consider a co-wash (as the name implies) and not a true "cleansing" conditioner or low-poo as far as being able to remove silicones or buildup. My understanding is that centrumonium chloride and Stearlkonium chloride are both quaternary ammonium salts, and used in conditioners for anti-static, surfactant, and antimicrobial properties; they are cationic (positively charged) surfactants, and are a gentle way to cleanse hair but don't remove buildup. (Whew, that's a lot of science-y stuff that I hope I got right!). This is okay for me since I follow the CG method and don't use anything with nonwater-soluble ingredients, and still use my CJDF (or something else with coco betaine) to occasionally remove build-up. Any regular condish with those ingredients could do the same (like SN, V05, etc.) I just haven't found those to work as well for me. I really liked the way this worked for my hair - if you want to co-wash but haven't found a condish you like for that purpose, I still say give it a try.
WurlyLox, DEL2C, poemaXX and 1 others like this.

CG since 12/29/2011
First, Thanx for the shout out jkells! Second, I too, find that vo5 and suave deposit more than they remove...As I Am remains in rotation.
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
As I am calls it a "cleansing conditioner" but you're right it is co wash.

Cetrimonium Methosulfate which is in the Hydration Elation conditioner also has similar properties as centrumonium chloride and Stearlkonium chloride. If someone found the coconut co wash stripping they may do well with the conditioner in this line. I find Stearlkonium chloride & centrumonium chloride high in the list makes my hair feel coated and it creates frizz on me. I prefer Cetrimonium Methosulfate or behentrimonium methosulfate as my cleansing conditioner ingredients. When I finally go through 10yrs worth of conditioner I might give the Elation a try

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars

Last edited by DEL2C; 10-30-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Originally Posted by DEL2C
Lol! You have me wanting to try the hydration elation to compare, but this is exactly what I keep telling myself before I make any more purchases - I need to use up what I have first! But maybe someone who has already tried both will give us a review.

ETA: I'm also now wondering about the AIA cleansing pudding compared to these other two. Maybe if its in the name of research...

CG since 12/29/2011

Last edited by jsuzkelley; 10-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.
I bought this a few weeks ago. Ill probably get about 10 more washes out of it. I have a twa pretty much. Anywho...Yes my hair felt clean. Yes my hair felt very soft. No I am not extremely excited about this product. I was when I bought it. Now I feel like I could find another brand thats cheaper and just as good. Probably Garnier. So...yea. Its a good product though. I hate the packaging though. Hard to hold it in one had in the shower and the other hand scoop and put it in your hair and then put the top back on in case it spills and then rub it in and then repeat if you did not apply enough -___- ..So I prefer a bottle. Like I said, Good product. Just not crazy about it!
I just purchased this product and also brought a pump bottle while at Sally's I already had a funnel at home. It was easy to pour into the bottle.
Originally Posted by DEL2C

Originally Posted by jsuzkelley
Keracare Nat. Cleansing Cream VS AIA Cleansing Pudding - CurlyNikki Forums Why not try the Keracare while you're at it

Keracare cleansing cream: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificato, Purified) Extracts: Azadirachta Indica (Neem)1, Phyllanthus Emblica (Amla)1, Acacia Concinna (Shikakai)1, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol2, Cetyl Alcohol2, C12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, Glycerin1, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil1, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil1, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil1, Poyquaternium-10, Piroctone Olamine, Potassium Sorbate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance/Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate.

Only one surfactant as opposed to 2 like the AIA has though..

Originally Posted by jsuzkelley
I tried both the Coconut Co-Wash and the Cleansing Pudding. I preferred the scent and price of the co-wash, but the castor oil was just too much for my hair. The cleansing pudding is perfect for my 2c/3a fine hair, but some curlies do find it stripping, so alternating the two might provide an equilibrium.

Originally Posted by frmpresstocurly
This is an excellent idea for any of the AIA tubs. It's really hard to scoop out the product in the shower without getting water and hair in it. The pump also makes it much easier to control how much product you're using.
Del2C you're killing me, lol! My inner PJ is going crazy now Can you get the Keracare on the ground?

Yossarian - thanks for the comparison. I haven't used castor oil alone, but it's in a couple products I use. My hair doesn't seem to mind it. Although I have noticed that when I use these products, my hair is super silky soft but my volume is greatly reduced, so I use very small amounts of these products. Thinking it must be the castor oil.

Hmm - may have to try the pump bottle.

CG since 12/29/2011
I haven't tried the coconut co wash but I have tried the cleansing pudding, hydration elation, moisture milk, and cocoa shay spray.
The cleansing pudding did clean my hair without stripping it smells good.
The hydration elation is a good deep conditioning treatment and the moisture milk kept my hair moisturized for at least a couple of days.
I think I'll give the co wash another go when I'm ready to reintroduce co washing into my regimen.

Hey, I tweet about my hair journey too along with other things

Oh, and my tumblr

New on my healthy hair journey and developing my regimen. Exploring my inner product junkie
I love this cowash!!! It does a great job without stripping my curls of moisture. And the scent is awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
I wash my hair everyday. Do you think I can I use this alone instead of using shampoo and conditioner every time?
Yes, but if ur hair is naturally very dry, I would follow up with a leave in...personally my hair does not need any sort of wash everyday, letting my natural oils flow has been a Godsend for length retention, shine, and softness
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
I ended up buying it and I love it. I use it everyday to wash my hair and nothing else. It leaves my hair soft and clean without drying it. I also use the curling jelly when I go out and the moisture milk when I don't go out. Can't use both because my hair gets weighed down easily. So far I love this line!
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
I love this co-wash! I alternate it with SM Curl & Shine, or KC Come Clean if I feel like I need clarification. I'd like to try their Jelly but it's pricey! I'll probably give it a shot at some point though, that's the PJ in me.

Last edited by Hootenanny; 01-08-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Hahai am a PJ as well. After I found this line I slowed down though :-) to the relief of my pockets lol. I want to try their leave in conditioner next
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity