• 1 Post By fefe912
  • 1 Post By jsuzkelley

Old 10-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #1

Thumbs up Shea Moisture Curling Souffle First Time Review

OMG! Im so excited. I bought this product today. I have seen so many negative reviews on this souffle on YouTube. So i had to try it lol! Seriously though. I could tell by everyones description, how it would work on MY hair. I am always touching my hair so im very aware of my texture and curl pattern. The product reminds me of Lets Jam products except for the moisturizing factor. It is EXTREMELY moisturizing. In fact, it says something about how it is very moisturizing it is on the packaging. So this is why I get confused as to why so many ppl did not know that it would come off as "greasy". Anywho, I did a wash n go with my As I am Cowash and used Mixed Silk Leave in, and a little of Proclaims Aloe Gel and Im rocking my high puff right now. The product left a film on my hands. I washed them though so this shouldnt be a problem if you wash your hands. Also It tastes sweet. Yes...I tasted it. Some of my curls are crunchy, i scrunched them out just as you would any other gel. YES it is considered a gel according to the packaging. I cannot say if my curls are more defined because I did not section my hair. However I tend to put more product on the outside of my hair which is always defined just as with this product. The middle is never really defined even with this product. However, tonight I plan on re-doing my wash and then using the shingling method to make sure that I get even the middle section of my hair. It smells great. $9.99 at Walgreens for 12 oz. I believe. Yes it is sticky. I will be using this as my moisturizer instead of oils because it is so moisturizing. Which will save me some $ anyway. BTW, Although i said there is a little crunchiness that can be scrunched out, my hair is SO SO soft. Call me crazy but I like the fact that it is "greasy". Even with my relaxed hair in the past I always have put alot of oils in my hair so maybe thats why I dont mind the Shea Moisture Curling Souffle. All in All..So far... I LOVE IT!
Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

fefe912's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012

I posted in another thread about this product, but I do like it. I think a lot of the people who didn't like it, used it the wrong way or they didn't pay attention to the ingredients in order to know what to expect texture wise. A little goes a long way and it works well with other products. I enjoyed using it under my eco styler gel because I didn't get the crunchy feeling and got the wet defined look I like. Now that it's cold I won't be using it as much though because cold dry air and glycerin = dry hair for me lol I may be able to mix it with something else though to prevent that I'll try when I get a chance.
simmy_says likes this.
fefe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Join Date: Jun 2011

Hmm im pretty much a newly natural..Ive been hearing about the glycerin+cold =dry hair thing. Which sucks bcuz i was so excited to try this and its cold out now so my results may not b the same as when its warmer. UGH lol...but I havent used alot of products yet so I dunno what products work "BEST" . I can say what i like though!! which is this great souffle lol! I use mine under a gel too. Try mixing it with coconut oil though
Old 10-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #4

fefe912's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012

when I was using it I mixed it with shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie and it worked great here are two pics
Attached Thumbnails
Shea Moisture Curling Souffle First Time Review-hbcrls.jpg   Shea Moisture Curling Souffle First Time Review-snapshot_20120913_26.jpg
fefe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

Join Date: Jun 2011

hmmm that is an option. My cousin is natural and she uses the smoothie. I may try it. However , I dont want to use anything my relatives use because i dont want to smell like them..lol Yes sounds weird but, I am already around them too much. So I tend to try products no one else has. But if they dont work then the smoothie prob will be my plan B. lol. Your results look good though. Your hair looks sooo soft!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #6

beautyjunkie12's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

I apply the souffle over the SM Styling Milk or the Smoothie cream. Works like a dream. A little truly goes a long way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
beautyjunkie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #7

jsuzkelley's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012

I was afraid to try this at first - thought it might be too much for my fine hair. The first couple times I tried it I wasn't crazy about it. But this last time, I tried it over the smoothie, raked in and then using a Denman brush to distribute. I did this on soaking wet hair in the shower. It came out great - soft and shiny with good curl definition. I think the trick, like others have posted, is to remember that a little goes a long way, and that it seems to work better (for me) on very wet hair vs. damp or dry hair. When I tried it on just damp hair, or to refresh day 2 hair, it felt sticky/gunky. But when I applied it to wet hair, there was no stickiness. And the coconut and Habiscus moisture mist worked great as a day 2 refresher. I will keep this in my rotation to see how it holds up as the dew point starts to drop, as it does contain glycerin.
simmy_says likes this.
2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate

My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!

CG since 12/29/2011
jsuzkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2011

Yes a little goes a LONGGway lol! Ive never heard of the SM or the Smoothing Cream. Id Try the Cream though. Ive never been a fan of the "hair milk"
Old 11-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #9

Join Date: Jun 2011

Maybe I will try the curling smoothing by Shea Moisture. and I dont like the denman brush I have one and it doesnt make my curls defined, it combs my curls out and makes it into an afro maybe im not using it right
Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #10

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

To me the Souffle gives me same curl definition as KKCC but with a much softer hold if any, and more $ in your pockets. But the trick is to use VERY LITTLE. 1 1/2 tbsp is enough for my short 4a hair (if relaxed it would be halfway to my neck). I use it on soaking wet hair right in shower. Rake with fingers. 1 1/2 tbsp souffle combined with 1 tsp Shea Moisture Smoothie is good too.
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curling souffle, shea moisture, souffle