Old 11-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

Default Cleansing conditioners?

So I love L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Conditioner, but I don't love L'Oreal as a brand so much. I prefer to support companies that make a point of being fair-trade and/or organic. I like the slip that a cleansing conditioner provides and how it doesn't strip my hair. Any leads on alternatives I should try? Would be good to take advantage of Black Friday deals! TIA.
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 ||

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month; Leave-in OH Hair Dew; Cleansing Conditioner Giovanni TTTT. – Just three!
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil; Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR; Style AOMMJ. – Kept for troubleshooting.
Propylene Glycol Sensitive - Itchy scalp? Facial Irritation? This might be why!

Last edited by poemaXX; 11-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #2

waterlily716's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

Giovanni's Triple Tea Treat conditioner is nice. Although it's not labelled as a cleansing conditioner, it has tea tree oil in it, and it does the job.

3a/b low porosity curls | hip length when stretched!
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 01.06.14
my CG method article, blog, & my youtube videos
waterlily716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #3

Join Date: Apr 2012

I loved Darcy's Botanicals Daily Cleansing Conditioner Cream! It's all natural and works pretty well It doesn't provide much slip, but it definitely cleans with only the mildest surfactants and without stripping.
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
dresdendoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #4

Originally Posted by waterlily716 View Post
Giovanni conditioners do have a lot of slip... And this one has behentrimonium methosulfate so it'll lather. Hm. This may be worth revisiting! I tried it when i began my CG journey, but my hair is so different now that it just might work.

Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
Can you believe I'd completely overlooked this brand so far? Even with all the rave reviews about their pumpkin seed conditioner. I'm not able to do a PJ haul right now, but I'm definitely making a note...

Old 11-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

KurleeEdna's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008

Have you tried Ren (by Renpure)? Renpure | Cleansing Conditioners | Rosemary Mint | Sweet Pomegranate
I just bought one (BOGO free @ RiteAid), but I haven't tried it yet. I've read good things about them.

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
- Charlie Brown
HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
KurleeEdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #6

Originally Posted by KurleeEdna View Post
Aw, it has amodimethicone – since I'm CG that's a no-no. Thanks though! I hope it works well for you.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #7

elizard's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by poemaXX View Post
free shipping on orders of $25 or more at curlmart right now... wouldn't have to be much of a haul to make the cut!
2b/c wavy modified CG since July 2012
medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
hair likes protein, doesn't like oils, easily OC'd

low poo: JCHCC, CJGCS
RO/co-wash/LI: YTCarrots, DB Pumpkin Seed
stylers: a bunch of stylers that are all pretty much the same (KCCC, UFDCM, CRCM, CKCJ) or ArcAngel if I need more hold
DT/PT: CJRM, CNPF
elizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #8

Originally Posted by elizard View Post
Originally Posted by poemaXX View Post
I've told myself no purchases until Black Friday! I'm gonna be a goooood PJ and hold off til the discounts roll in...

Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #9

rymorg2's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006

My faves are the following in no particular order:

CJ Daily Fix.....this is really good if you have hard water and for the occasional cone use because it does have Cocomidapropyl Betaine in it and Tetrasodium EDT for the hard water. VERY moisturizing!

Darcy's......another fave, moisture heaven but not as cleansing as CJDF

As I am Coconut Cleansing Cream......an on ground fave as you can get it at Sallys.

HTH!

Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
Ingredients Maven
Products: Free and Clear sulfate free poo and condish, Theraneem Sulfate Free Shampoo/Condish, Unscented SSCEJ, Coconut oil, Camellia oil, Argan oil
Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
rymorg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #10

Join Date: Oct 2012

Wen! Nothing I mean nothing comes close to it!
Soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #11

jsuzkelley's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012

Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post

HTH!
I haven't tried Darcy's yet (but love other products from this brand), but the CJ and AIA are my two staple co-washes. As rymorg said, CJDF is great if you have hard water or use the occasional cone; the AIA is perfect for an everday co-wash (works well without stripping my hair) and is affordable and available on the ground.
2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate

My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!

CG since 12/29/2011
jsuzkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

Originally Posted by Soho View Post
Wen! Nothing I mean nothing comes close to it!
Wen has amodimethicone, so it's a no-go for me. Thanks though!

Originally Posted by jsuzkelley View Post
Originally Posted by rymorg2 View Post

HTH!
These three sound great – the Curl Junkie one especially! Thanks, gals.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #13

FrizzBgone's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

Daily Fix by CJ is my favorite. I also like the As I Am Cleanser and Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Join Date: Apr 2012

Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post
My hair was acting up, so I tried the DB Cleansing Conditioner Cream again, it was GREAT! It actually had lots of slip and was very moisturizing yet cleansing. Totally recommend it! Haha, I have actually just order the Pumpkin to try.
poemaXX likes this.
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

dresdendoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #15

Crownedwisdom's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012

I just bought the loreal line yesterday because I didn't have money to buy my usual and I'm trying them out cause they were price cut at Target. I was the forever reading the bottles because I too am strictly CG and some of there products are silicone, sulfrate free but they were all mixed in together so I had to ensure what was what. I felt like I worked at Target because women were questioning if that is what I use for my hair, I had to direct them to the Shea products and other recommendations and explain this was my first time trying the products. I used the cleansing cream this morning and was surprised on the slip. I usually use Deva no poo because the slip on it works great for my thick long hair. Ill be following this thread cause I also like to support more natural companies.
Crownedwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:17 AM   #16

Originally Posted by waterlily716 View Post
Just found out that Massage Warehouse sells Giovanni conditioners in liter and gallon sizes. Verrrrry tempting since it drives the cost per ounce down even more! Massage Warehouse: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat

Originally Posted by Crownedwisdom View Post
I'm almost sad I like this L'Oreal product so much! But I know there are more natural alternatives out there. The Giovanni TTTT seems like a very reasonably priced option. Curly Junkie Daily Fix sounds really cleansing without stripping. Darcy's Botanicals sounds moisturizing and dreamy.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #17

waterlily716's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007

Originally Posted by FrizzBgone View Post

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I second the Jessicurl cleansing cream. So gentle..

I also wanted to add the Ouidad cleansing conditioner. Just tried it and it's great! If you can get it for a steal.

Oh and also the ubiquitous Devacurl no-poo. Has a yummy lemon scent.

3a/b low porosity curls | hip length when stretched!
CG method since 2006 @:-)
fotki pw: whim updated 01.06.14
waterlily716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 AM   #18

Join Date: Dec 2012
Thumbs down Ren Cleansing Conditioner

I just tried this today (Rosemary & Mint) with disastrous results! I'm 3B/C, coarse, extremely dry hair. Ren made my hair tangle into a horrible mess (in the shower), felt really dried out, and adding more didn't help at all. Tried to finger-comb my hair while in the shower (and with my hair slathered in Ren), and pulled out huge wads of hair! I immediately took it back, but that still leaves me with the frustrating question of how to go CG and find something that really works like it claims to? So frustrating. My hair is so dry and needs a ton of slip so I don't pull it all out when i out when I finger comb it in the shower.
wildasshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #19

Marie01141976's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013

I recently found my HG co wash! I am a 3a/3b combo, and I have fallen in love with ABBA Pure Gentle leave in condish. I use it as both co wash and leave in. It has great slip, and foams just a tiny bit. Cone free w/ tons of yummy botanicals. A bit pricey, but I buy liters for $9.99 @ TJ Maxx.
Henna!!! Red Raj from Henna Sooq
Co-washes: ABBA Pure Gentle (HG), Tresseme Naturals.
Low-poo: Shea Moisture (all of them), Renpure my pretty hair is parched.
Rinse-out: Tigi Bead Head Moisture Maniac, GF Length and Strength.
Leave-in: ABBA Pure Gentle, KCKT, Henna Sooq cocoveda oil.
Stylers: Fairy Tales Curly Q's gel (HG), KCCC, Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothy, GF pure clean gel.
Marie01141976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #20

Originally Posted by wildasshair View Post
I haven't looked at the Ren ingredients, but it sounds like your hair might be protein sensitive. Many folks who are describe dry tangly hair even with conditioner.