Cone Now in Renpure Originals Luxurious Argan Conditioner

@#$%&!!!

It always happens to me. I've used one bottle of this conditioner and I was LOVING it. I've had a hard time finding more in my area, but today I found plenty in stock at the Bed Bath & Beyond/Harmon in San Francisco. I happened to take a look at the ingredients, and guess what, they've added Amodimethicone to the formula.

I just checked their website, and the still show the old formula in the product description -- this is the old formula:

Ingredients: Purified Water, Cetrimonium Chloride (Palm Oil*), Cetearyl Alcohol (Palm Oil*), Behentrimonium Chloride (Rapeseed Oil*), Argania Spinosa (Argan) Kernel Oil, Hypnea Musciformis Extract (Red Seaweed*), Gellidiela Acerosa Extract (Red Alga*), Sargassum Filipendula Extract (Brown Seaweed*), Sorbitol (Sugar*), Silicone Quaternium-17, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance. (* Derived Source)

I couldn't find any contact information for them on their site, otherwise I would send them an e-mail in protest and ask them to return to the old formula. Very disappointing. On the up side, I was finally able to find Yes to Cucumbers CO there today and stocked up on several bottles -- these are the big bottles, not the smaller and more expensive ones I've been seeing lately with the yellow flip top. I've been looking for this stuff for weeks, also. Win some, lose some, I guess.
They're on Facebook. Write them and complain there. So frustrating they've added a cone! I love this condish too as both RO and LI, and now I'm gonna have to re-evaluate whether to even bother re-buying. Live with a regular low poo, or go back to searching for a great rinse out?

LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 KLS, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, L'Oreal Studio Clean gel, Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's as needed
After I posted, I found the link on the website with their e-mail address, so I wrote to them to protest the addition of amodimethicone. Amazing, I had a reply from them already -- super fast response! -- Unfortunately, the reply is very disappointing as it is simply extolling the value of silicones in haircare products. I have written back to further explain my dismay and to let them know about the "CG" method and the many, many people who have found that dropping the silicones and sulfates has made enormous improvement in hair and scalp health.

I hope others here will take the time to write to the people at Renpure about this change. Really, this conditioner (old formula) is the bomb! I have hip-length thick dry wavy hair. It is very tangly in the shower -- but if I use this conditioner, after a few minutes of letting it sink into wet hair, the tangles practically melt away and my hair is left very smooth and slippery. I was about to buy 3 bottles when I found it yesterday, as it's been hard to find, and then I saw the blasted "amodimethicone" on the label. : ( So I stocked up on "Yes to Cucumbers," which is also very good for me hair and Tresemme Naturals, which I like also. But the Renpure Originals Argan Co was my favorite. : (

Here's their contact e-mail:

Info@renpure.com
I'm posting a few brief excerpts from Renpure's long response to me:

". . . .silicones are fantastic ingredients as they contribute many positive aspects to hair care. The soft silky feel and shine that they impart on the hair is un-matched by any other ingredient. This is because silicones inherently creep into all cracks and crevasses, meaning that they totally coat the hair shaft providing lubricity and shine."

"Most people don't consider silicones to be natural or organic, yet they are derived from the most abundant natural substance on the planet, sand."

"All of these dimethicones are VERY water insoluble. . . "

Yes, that is the major problem here!

Darnit, I loved that conditioner. : (
I just sent my email.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
Rozetta, I got a similar response when I wrote to question the formula change, a very prompt, semi-lengthy educational message about silicones and why Renpure uses them in their products. In fact, it had the exact excerpts you posted, making me think now that I simply got a form response. Hopefully a real human read my original message... I did reply back explaining CG method and why I choose not to use non water soluble silicones in my hair. Renpure didn't bother with another response after that. Disappointing.

PT: IAGirl's as needed
Geek Chic and Corrina, I'm glad you wrote to them, too.
Geek, I'm sure we got the same form-letter response, and I don't expect to hear more from them after my response. It is disappointing.

Today at Walgreens, I dug back behind a bunch of bottles of the new formula CO and managed to retrieve one old-formula bottle, yay.

I took a look at their supply of their Brazilian Keratin "straightening" (yuck!) CO, and I didn't see any bad cones in it (or maybe they just haven't stocked the shelf with new formula bottles). Have you tried that one? It smells really good, much better than the Argan one. I'm not sure how my hair does with keratin protein, though, and I don't want straightening (though I kind of doubt it actually does much to straighten hair). ??
My hair loves protein, so I like the keratin conditioner- no straightening from it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
Corinna,

Good to know that you like the Renpure keratin. Maybe I'll try it. But better keep an eye on the ingredients on new bottles and maybe stock up now, because I bet they'll add amodimethicone to that one as well.
I'm posting a few brief excerpts from Renpure's long response to me:

"All of these dimethicones are VERY water insoluble. . . "

Yes, that is the major problem here!

Darnit, I loved that conditioner. : (
Originally Posted by RozettaStone
I guess they don't realize the "totally coat the hair shaft" can be a negative as well. My hair silicones = buildup = dryness. Why is it so hard to offer silicone free alternatives like Tresemme does. And from this site I can bet that TN sells well.

Last edited by adthomas; 12-02-2012 at 09:35 AM.
You should send this back to them...
" Other anti frizz serums are derived from silicone dioxide, which is what sand is made of. Although natural to begin with, silicone dioxide undergoes a high level of chemical processing to be used as a cosmetic ingredient and as a result is undesirable due to the large ecological footprint produced. In addition, certain silicones, called siloxanes negatively impact aquatic life."

found it on the Live Clean website

I hate it when "natural, organic" brands use unnatural ingredients. Diazolidinyl Urea is another bad ingredient in there :/
2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
CG again as of 7/20/12

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
Renpure's website has been updated with the new ingredients for this conditioner. I checked on their other lines out of curiosity about potential changes, and unless they've neglected to update the website, the Brazilian Keratin Straightening conditioner still has only Silicone Quaternium-17 in it, which is water soluble. The red, green, and orange lines - My Pretty Hair is Parched, I love My Hair, and My Luscious Hair Needs Lift, are all completely silicone free.

PT: IAGirl's as needed
What I love this product, why did they have to change the ingredients. Ehhh
I have two bottles of the original formula on the swap board if anyone is interested.

3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, FSG, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066