-   -   Marshmallow Moisture Balm - ingredientstodiefor (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/152244-marshmallow-moisture-balm-ingredientstodiefor.html)

Tinfoilhat 11-24-2012 09:01 AM

Marshmallow Moisture Balm - ingredientstodiefor

Marshmallow Moisture Balm

Okay so I was debating whether to review this now, or order more product, use it for a month using it the way it is intended and then review it. But honestly - I've gotten great results from using it the wrong way, so I can only imagine the results when using it the proper way. =D

Texture;Appearance

This product has a balm look and feel, when I first used it I thought it was a bit too creamy or thin to be a balm but then I thought of lip balms and it is actually quite similar in look and feel to a lip balms texture.
The product is very pretty also, it's pink :D pearly looking, very pretty. It has hisbiscus extract hence the pink color.

Experiences;

I first used this on freshly washed, deep conditioned, rinsed hair.
I then used it later on top of dry hair, that already had gel and a leave in on top of it.

Applying to wet hair as a leave in with just some oil applied to seal...it felt like I was putting water on my hair. So my first reaction was..."ummm this is different...o.0"
I guess I was expecting a typical leave in type of product and feel. lol I twisted my hair, woke up to somewhat soft hair, lol. I didn't think it did anything until I rinsed my hair to style it in the morning.

My hair usually when wet it can take a little bit to feel saturated full, my hair has never had chronic dry hair issues though honestly. However my hair didn't always retain water/moisture that well. I don't know how to explain it, but my hair seem to become wetter with less time that morning.

Rinsing my hair that morning my curls sprang and clumped with just water, I was impressed. It felt insanely soft, and had 'water weight' even after drying a bit with a micro fiber towel (I always like to keep a good weight of water in my hair so my gel goes on evenly in every section.)

Applying to dry hair, it instantly softens my hair, and absorbs very quickly into the hair. So I then thought "OH..it's a moisturizer for dry hair,duh!"

I then thought well I guess this would be a great moisturizing for the end of the day before bed, and to use to refresh my curls. I applied more to dry hair in the morning after untwisting - my hair still had gel on it so I thought maybe it could be good at re-activating the gel/curls as well.

It works well that way also. So I was happy and thinking that I had it figured out finally.

I rinsed my hair the next morning, same results, great clumping, retention, shine, etc.
I found myself very confused as my hair was changing on me, lol. I just wasn't use to this type of moisture retention with such little work. I was scared it was too good to be true :I lol

Anyways I have no cons really with this product, I am planning on getting the 32oz of the product and reviewing it after using it for a longer time. Because I feel like this product packs a bit of a punch in the moisture dept. It deserves a more in dept. reviewing. The product is a base, unscented so you can scent however you want.

I actually emailed customer service about how the product was intended to be used, and when.
He told me it is meant to be used on freshly washed hair, as a leave in, before any other products. So that means after you wash, DC, and do whatever else you're going to do that involves rinsing a product out...apply this BEFORE your conditioner leave in, oils, butters, etc.

I intend on using the larger size this way, as well as on dry hair. I've gotten such amazing results just in a few days...even after not using it (I ran out of the sample size) my hair is reaping the benefits of the product. I also plan on using it as a dry hair moisturizer/curl refresher as well because it also works well for those purposes. =D

Curly Girl Fla 12-01-2012 09:18 AM

thanks so much for reviewing this...i've had my shopping cart full of various skin and hair products at this site, and this one is one that keeps jumping in and out...i was going to opt for a couple of samples since i didn't want to get a huge thing that i couldn't use...your feedback is greatly appreciated...:)

Tinfoilhat 12-01-2012 01:11 PM

You're welcome :D

I've used a couple of other products from that site if you see any that you are interested you can name them and I'll see if I've used them (only the hair care products^^)

poemaXX 12-01-2012 02:45 PM

Oh, this sounds so tempting... Did it leave your hair crunchy at all or just natural-feeling definition?

Tinfoilhat 12-02-2012 06:34 PM

It's a not a styling product ^^
It absorbs quickly, and just feels moisturized. No crunch, hold or anything.

It's like a pre-leave in moisture boosting product.
I recently got a larger size of this, so I can review it better when I shampoo in a few days.

kathymack 01-14-2013 06:28 AM

I ordered 7 of the ingredientstodiefor products and got them on Saturday. My biggest surprise is that they are really firm in consistency. I thought this was similar to a "soft" jello mold in texture. It was also "slippery." I know that they make products to order (not sure about the samples), so this might be the reason for the difference in consistency.

Should have read this thread before I tried this product. I used it as the second product on. Used the Curl Defining Gel with it. I don't think that I was careful enough with the product application to really review it. Because of the consistency, my hair looked like I missed pieces, when it was dry. It looked great after I diffused.

Today, I tried the Touchably Soft Conditioning Gel. It's the only product that has an almost "pourable" consistency. I was really careful about distributing it and using enough product. My hair isn't dry yet, so I don't know. I'll review all of the products after I use them a few times.

NYCgirl 01-15-2013 03:16 PM

I ordered a few of the Marshmallow Moisture Balm samples and am expecting them to be delivered today. I will hopefully be brave enough to try it out this weekend on wash day.

Because I saw this thread, I was already aware that it should be used before my LI but I'm now "concerned" about the texture of the product and how to best manipulate it in order to apply it properly to coat all my strands. Any advice?

kathymack 02-05-2013 03:20 PM

I have trouble remembering to add this product as first product on. I think it's the consistency. Jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.

kathymack 02-19-2013 04:13 PM

Well, I used this the right way today! First product on. I still think the consistency is "odd." I used a plastic spatula to remove it from the jar. Because it behaves like jello, it's not easy. I used the Touchably Soft Conditioning Gel on top.

Our temps today were high 40's, dewpoint is 41 and humidity is currently 90%--it's raining. My hair got wet a few times while I was running errands. I'm a week overdue for a haircut. And, I have to say that my hair looked really good throughout. It still looks great. It's soft and feels almost productless. I can't wait to see what it's like in the higher dewpoints.

ryncar 03-01-2013 04:08 PM

For those who've tried it: I got the Marshmallow Moisture Balm and was wondering just how much product everyone's applying?

I also got the Curl Defining Gel and the the Shine & Hydrate Fortifying Spray Conditioner, so I'm super excited to test everything out.

Lynaea 03-01-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ryncar (Post 2129068)

I haven't used the balm but I ordered the other two yesterday. Please update once you've tried them.

darkbeautytt 03-01-2013 06:58 PM

Oh wow that sound really good. You guys make me want to try it .....

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App

ryncar 03-01-2013 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just used the balm and the gel:
Attachment 32304

I'm really happy with the result - I have healthy, fairly shiny hair normally, but this seems to really bring out more definition and gloss. I didn't add anything to the product, so there's no noticeable smell once the product dried.

The feel is very lightweight and soft, with some flexible crunch where I put a bit too much product. The left side of the photo has more of the balm on it than the right (to give you an idea of how the gel alone performs).

I normally use a firm hold gel, so I'll have to see how it performs once I sleep on it.

As a heads up: The spray conditioner did not come in a spray bottle, so you'll need to transfer it to another container if you want to use it as intended :)

Edit: Okay, update after playing around with these products:

Marshmallow Moisture Balm: amaaaaazing. Trying it with the curl defining gel and with my normal gel both yield super soft, super shiny, and highly moisturized hair that stayed that way until I washed it.

Curl Defining Gel: I got day 3 hair with the combination of the moisture balm and this gel. I don't think the gel added any additional shine, but it had no dulling effect at all.

The downside: I tried to add a tiny bit of gel to dry hair (had a disagreeable curl on day 3), and it gave me that sticky hairspray/dry feel that hung around in the shower until I used a bit of a mild sulfate + my normal conditioner. Moral of the story: use a small amount and only on wet hair. Anyone else have this reaction before?

The main difference between my normal gel and this one (with the moisture balm) is the size of the curls formed - huge 3a curls on the base with the curl defining gel and a mix of 3a/3b with my normal product.

Conditioner Spray: ... meh. Unfortunately this didn't do anything for my hair. I tried it on both dry and damp hair to help tame a frizzy curl on day 2, but I didn't notice any difference or improvement. However, my mom's drier, thinner, and less curly hair had great shine and bounce after trying it.

joseybird 03-06-2013 02:31 PM

Has anyone with fine, low-porosity hair tried this? I have fine, low-porosity, dry hair and most heavy conditioners just sit on top of the hair shaft :crybaby: I'd LOVE something like KCKT but more moisturizing!

kathymack 03-06-2013 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by joseybird (Post 2132037)

I did. See above.

I don't use KCKT, don't find it moisturizing enough.

MaggieT 03-07-2013 06:24 AM

Would anyone be willing to sell or swap me a sample of this product? I tried to buy one of the one-ounce ones from their website and it wanted to charge me $9.71 in shipping!!!

kathymack 03-07-2013 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2132439)

PM me.

MaggieT 03-20-2013 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by joseybird (Post 2132037)

Joseybird, I got some samples of this and the gel from lovely miss Kathymack, and I'm glad I got samples . . . because they sure don't work for me! Whether I use them in combination or just use the MMB under my regular styler, I get dry, brittle, non-shiny hair. Oh well -- I guess things can't be for everyone.

I use CJ CCCC Lite for a leave-in and it works great for me -- I think it's good for fine-haired curlies. You might give it a try! Use it very sparingly, a little goes a long way.

bosanbo 03-29-2013 02:48 PM

I don't know about putting it in my hair, but y'all are making me want to eat this... Though if KathyMack's hair likes it, I might give it a try on my head, too.

MaggieT 04-17-2013 08:53 PM

Just wanted to say: I barely used those samples, and would be happy to pass them along to someone else who wants to try them, if you'd be willing to pay for the shipping. PM me if you're interested!