PLEASE HELP Newbie CG-purchase a leave in or rinse out

• 1 Post By kathymack

Hey all !

So I am new the CG method, but started it a couple of weeks ago and so far I have been experimenting and trying to see what hair likes and doesnt like.

First, I bought some samples of the Chagrin Valley soap bars. I stopped using them after several washes because of the waxy buildup on my roots- it looked and felt gross.

So then I bought Curl Junkie's Daily Fix Conditioner as a daily (or every other day?) cowash/conditioner and figured I would follow it up with Shea Terra Argan Oil, since I had already ordered it at the time. It worked really well the first time, in the sense that I had really nice soft curls and my hair was BIG (after diffusing). However, the last few times I have noticed that the Daily Fix is nowhere near as detangling and moisturizing as the first time I used it. And while right after diffusing after applying the argan oil my hair is big and luscious, it starts to deflate at the roots and all over after a couple of minutes.

So, I don't want to stop using Daily Fix because it does make my hair feel nice, but I've come to the conclusion that I need something to follow it. I just can't decide if I should invest in a rinse out conditioner or get myself a leave-in. Mainly because using just Argan Oil as a moisturizer tends to make my hair a little frizzy and shiny in a greasy, limp way.

I've been looking at other products in the Curl Junkie line, but like I said, can't decide if I should invest in a leave in or a rinse out conditioner.

I am looking at:

Beaticurls Leave In Conditioner
Curl Rehab Moisturizing Hair Treatment
Repair Me! Reconstructive Hair Treatment

For curl enhancers, I was looking at

Ag Re:Coil
Curl Queen Hair Styling Gel
Pattern Pusha Styling Gel
DevaCare Ultra Defining Gel
Devacare Arc AnGEL

For gels, I am looking for something that doesn't leave a shiny, crunchy affect after applying and diffusing.

My main goal is to coax my medium thick 2C/3a hair look big and curly and voluminous. I love and covet big curly hair! And right now I am only getting that effect after using the pixie method while diffusing and only for about 10-15 minutes right after. Also, i have regularly colored and highlighted my hair for the last three years so I am almost sure I need some kind of reconstruction and protein to re-build it.

Any help on a combination these products would be so helpful! Right now I just don't know which ones would work best to achieve my desired effect!!

Thanks!!
ALSO: has anyone experienced greasy/weighed down roots with daily fix? Recently I am noticing a more and more and more oily looking, flatter roots. I am not sure if it is because I am using too much DF, or because a co-wash doesn't work for me and I actually need some kind of gentle shampoo or what. I take care to only put the Argan Oil in when my hair is turned over and I am scrunching it in, so I don't think it's the oil causing the weighed/oily down roots.

Grrrr- i just want BIG and VOLUMINOUS curly hair that can last longer than a day!
Hair type is relatively unimportant when depending on what products to use. It's transient based on products, technique, weather, etc. The best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, look for others with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's the best place to start.

My hair just hated the CV bars. If I hadn't used others previously, I never would have used another soap bar. I've been using them ever since they became popular on nc.com about 4 years ago. They remove the residual ingredients from the really rich products that I use, but won't remove chemicals. I do use CJ Daily Fix every 3-6 weeks for it's chelating properties. For me, it's too drying to use frequently (but I'm older and my scalp doesn't produce a lot of oil.)

Many of us rotate products. My hair always satiated on product, even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom let myself use anyone product more then once every five days, if that.

Depending on your porosity, it may be the oil building up. My hair is low porosity. It doesn't care for straight oil/butter, but likes them formulated in products.

The foundation for great hair is a good haircut. If you don't have a good cut with the right layering, you're hair will lay flat and you'll have that triangle look. You need to have a good shape and the layering.

Finally, if your hair is fine or damaged, it will probably love protein. I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein. I find that it tightens my curl and cuts down on frizz.

HTH
Hootenanny likes this.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams

HTH
Originally Posted by kathymack
Thanks so much! So after reading the article, I have determined that I have medium hair with normal porosity. Based on these facts, which of the products I mentioned above would be most beneficial? Keeping in mind that I do have dryness and some damage from regularly coloring my hair over the last couple of years.

Thanks again!
You might still need to do some experimenting to narrow down ingredients because some thing like magnesium sulfate or glycerin work well for some people but not others.
In terms of rinse-out v leave-in, I would go for the rinse out because you can always not rinse out completely or scrunch a small amount back in as a leave-in. I have always used a rinse-out plus a leave-in, even on days that I cleanse with conditioner. My hair does best with lots of protein and lots of moisture. Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening conditioner is a lighter rinse out compared to the others that you listed, but works well for adding some moisture and detangling.
Re:Coil is on of my HG curl enhancers. Just be aware that it contains mag sulfate (Epsom salts), which some people can fine drying. If your hair is ok with the mag sulfate, this is a great product.
I typically layer gel over a curl enhancer, so I never really looked at them as curl enhancers in an of themselves. I've only tried Curl Queen once, but love it. I liked Pattern Pusha, but I had the original jar formula and haven't the pump version yet. Although Deva gets mixed reviews on this site, I do like some of their products, and Ultra Defining Gel is one of them. You might want to try one that's glycerin free or lists glycerin lower on the ingredient list if your current dew points are low because some people can have issues with glycerin in lower dew points.
Many of these gels will dry with some crunch, but the crunch is easily scrunched out (SOTC). I've found that less crunch generally leads to less definition and more frizz.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
With medium/medium hair, you should be able to use a lot of products. But, as Corrina777 warned, it's a lot of trial and error. The first group of CJ products are all ones that I would recommend.

While gels are moisturizing, and therefore curl enhancing, most of us wouldn't list them as curl enhancers. Most people use gels for hold.

Many of us start out with Deva, think we like it and then move on to other products we like A LOT better. I used Deva before they changed their ingredients many years ago. My salon carries them, I bring my own products--wouldn't let them put them in my hair. But, that's me. I'm was, and still am, a real product junkie. I tried everything anyone mentioned. It took me a while to find out what my hair likes--and now I have a good idea of what to buy and try. I wouldn't tell anyone not to go through that process, if that's what you want to do.

My hair prefers the more natural products from the online boutique type companies. I stay away from chemicals, especially polyquats. Of your second list, CJ PP is the only product I ever use. I didn't care for the jar formula, the pump formula is better.