cj pattern pusha on dry hair

• 2 Post By rbb
  • 1 Post By tricello

today was about the 6th, 7th time in the past few weeks where i added cj pattern pusha onto already dry hair and had GREAT results -- no frizz, lots of curl, umph!!
i waited thinking the first two times must have been flukes, but the results on dry hair has been repeatedly super. :-) so typical of curl junkie products that don't work at first for me -- i hold onto them and somewhere down the line i pull them out to use them a different way and almost always with good results. no flaking, no frizz, lots of curl.
i will repurchase.
curlypearl and GarlandBanay like this.
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I pull out the PP to refresh on Day 2 and 3 too. I stopped using it on Day 1 in the really low dews because I need more moisture/sealing capability when the furnace is cranking non-stop. But once I am sealed, it does a really nice job with refreshing. I mix it in with some water and smooth / scrunch it in.
GarlandBanay likes this.

LI: CK Satin Roots
Styler: CK Coil Jam
Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

just have to add that the dew point here is -40 today, and i have great hair since i scrunched in pp earlier today!!! that says it all!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Rbb thank you for that tip! I just used PP today on wet hair and with the dews so horribly low, it did nothing and the hair went up! It's a product I struggle with but maybe this is the way to go. I'll let you know.
3a or b depending on the weather, medium texture, pretty dense, normal porosity.
LI: currently liking Marie Dean Mango Detangler, KCKT
Stylers: Usually mix very small amounts of BRHG with CJCIAB, HETT, DMMCG or whatever is under the sink and might work that day!
Latest discovery: Marie Dean Amla Hair Creme Proless works great on top of any gel combination. Well, at least in the current low dews!
chrissy -- i've just been using leave in and a sealant then letting my hair air dry. it usually works well, but some days it just needs more, and pp is doing that, plus! it's working so well that at this point it's something i'm going to be doing on a regular basis.
the difference from when i applied it on wet hair to using it on dry hair, day and night! the other difference is that this winter i've been sealing on a daily basis, i did not do that last winter.
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Rbb what exactly is sealing?
LI: currently liking Marie Dean Mango Detangler, KCKT
sealing is locking in moisture. not all curlies do it, i think it's mostly those of us with high or normal porosity. i think those with low porosity get enough from their products.

so, first you leave a moisturizing leave in, then you add either an oil or butter on top to close the cuticle, keep in moisture. some oils are absorbed into the hair and don't seal as well, others sit on it and do a better job sealing. there are lots of threads on this. i mostly use jane carter nourish & shine.

i only seal in low dews, my hair actually loves high dews. some do it in both low and high dews. in low dews moisture leaves the hair as the air is too dry, in high dews lots of moisture from the air enters our hair.

so i usually seal in late fall, winter.
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Thanks Rbb, I'll give it a try. This all rings a bell with me. There are just so many different techniques with curly hair it's hard to keep up with them all. I have a ton of hair and it's past my shoulders at this point. Just wondering how much oil/hair butter I would need to apply. I guess it's just trial and error as usual! I have Jane Carter nourish and shine and some Marie Dean butters that I'll give a try. It's a high of 29 here today and so horribly dry. Perfect day to give it a try. I'm with you, love my curls in the summer. I've been so tempted to go shorter just to get more bounce in this low dew.
LI: currently liking Marie Dean Mango Detangler, KCKT
The Marie Dean worked for me. If I use either the red clover honey leave-in or the yogurt smoothy as a leave-in, they provide enough richness to seal the hair. Actually, Shea Moisture Milk worked just the same for less money, but I could not stand the smell. So I had to let it go. (darnit, just like finding that too cute sweater on sale, but not in your size). I put some gel for hold on top of the leave-in, and so far so good in the low dews.
High Density, High Porosity, Medium Texture, 3B with some kink

LI: CK Satin Roots
Styler: CK Coil Jam
Other Likes: Castor Oil; CK Twist Whip, MD CSC
Dislikes: Wheat Protein; Aloe LIs or Stylers

Last edited by tricello; 01-26-2013 at 07:50 AM.
I tried the Pattern Pusha (currently gathering dust in the back of the cupboard) on dry hair yesterday after reading this and have to say it seemed to work quite well. My second day hair is a ponytail and this is what I had yesterday, by the end of the day it was frizzy and untidy and I had to got to work so I just smoothed some PP over it and it took the frizz away and left my hair nice and soft. I usually just damp it down with a bit of water which tends to make it a bit hard (I presume re-activating the mousse that's in there) so the PP worked better. Glad to find a use for it, I hate wasting money!
3b in South Australia.
not only are you not wasting money on a product, but you get great hair,
AND, it works on DRY hair!! it actually removes the frizz, right?
AND. great in horrendously low dew points!

how many products are there out there that we can put on already dried hair, and how many let us have great hair days in low dew points? this went from sitting in my closet to being an HG for me.

each time i use it this way it gets better and better.
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Last edited by rbb; 01-27-2013 at 10:15 AM.
I agree with you all. I really like it better on dry hair. Most days I will use a butter to take care of frizz but in this low dew it can really weigh my hair down. PP doesn't weigh it down at all and my hair feels less producty. I did try the sealant method yesterday and it was a disaster! I used a leave in and then Marie Dean Mango Capuacu butter. I really had a hard time distributing and I just have so much hair! I ended up with the greasiest hair, something I have never had in my whole life. It was pretty funny. My family had a good laugh at my expense. So today I stuck to a leave in, CIAB, about a 1/4 teaspoon of Marie Dean Alma curl cream and then PP when it dried. I had a good hair day! I really have never completely explored what oils work best on me so that could have been the issue yesterday. I just haven't had the energy for that yet!
LI: currently liking Marie Dean Mango Detangler, KCKT
Tried it today as a finisher after I'd diffused (I usually use Kevin Murphy's Motion Lotion) and it worked well. I think I was heading for a good hair day anyway (wonder's will never cease) so I'll try again when it looks like being a dodgy hair day. All good so far.
3b in South Australia.
I'm going to try this tomorrow. I have a 90% full bottle of the PP sitting in my closet. I tried it 3-4 times, and every time I had atrocious hair. It would look great initially, but within an hour my hair would completely fall apart. My hair would look like I was just electrocuted, honestly LOL. I'd love to find a way to use this!
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Originally Posted by JLeighs
mine had also been sitting in my closet due to disasters no matter how i tried it, but that was always on wet hair. i don't even dampen my hair now, just put it straight on dry hair.

let us know how it worked for you.