-   -   Shea Moisture bar soaps as shampoo bars (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/155009-shea-moisture-bar-soaps-shampoo-bars.html)

Marie01141976 02-11-2013 01:42 PM

Shea Moisture bar soaps as shampoo bars

I love the idea of shampoo bars, but they never agreed with my hair. I tried pretty much every bar Chagrin Valley makes, and they all made my hair dry, coated and tangley. On a whim, I tried the Shea Moisture Baby Eczema bar that I use on my body to shampoo my hair this morning. Victory! I followed w/ 1 cup of white vinegar diluted w/ 2 cups of warm water to rinse. Amazing, soft clean hair! Didn't dry out my hair or scalp either. I am thinking about trying out some of the other bars they have. Will purchase the olive and green tea, or maybe the lavender orchid one next to try.

Just some background: I only wash my hair every three days, always with a sulfate free, days between I co-wash. I am cone free and henna every 4-6 weeks (whole head). Just thought I would let folks know how well this worked for me, for those who just couldn't make the poo bars work for them in the past.

kathymack 02-11-2013 05:05 PM

My hair HATED the one CV bar I tried--it made my hair tangled, too. So, I got rid of all the bars I bought. My hair only tangles when I use an ingredient it didn't like. I narrowed it down to the castor oil. Checked the ingredients for the bar you used:

Ingredients: african shea butter, coconut oil, palm oil, water, vegetable glycerin, palmitic acid, vanilla extract, sodium chloride, argan oil, chamomile, mineral and vegetable pigment

I'm thinking it may be the castor oil your hair doesn't like, either.

Marie01141976 02-11-2013 06:25 PM

Okay, that's really interesting. I remember back before I was cone free I tried Pantene relaxed and natural conditioner and my hair hated it! This conditioner contains (contained, not sure if they still make it?) castor oil, and my hair had that same coated/dry tangled feeling. I think you are on to something! Sometimes it's just as useful to find out what ingredients my hair hates as it is to find out what it loves 😊 Thanks! Luckily for me, it seems like castor oil isn't that common an ingredient in most products?
If you don't mind, can you tell me what products you got rid of that contained it so I avoid them?
Again, thanks for the tip!

kathymack 02-11-2013 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Marie01141976 (Post 2118432)
Again, thanks for the tip!

I haven't used castor oil since sometime in '08. It was the CV soap bar and a sample of something someone sent me, so I don't remember which one. I mostly buy products from the online, boutique type companies. Am careful about reading ingredients and don't buy anything with castor oil. My hair reacts the same way to mineral oil.

Just read before you use anything.

joseybird 02-12-2013 12:12 PM

So eager to hear about your results with the other bars!! :) Have you tried using the bar without a rinse afterwards?

Marie01141976 02-12-2013 02:29 PM

I just bought the Lavender one and the Lemongrass and Ginger one. I have to wait another 2 days though, I'm not due to shampoo until Thurday! Ahhhh, the suspense is killing me!!! I haven't tried using the bar without a rinse because I live in New Hampshire, and we have the hardest water ever. I don't think I would even attempt to use any bar without it. I will report back when I use the next one.

asugirl 02-17-2013 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Marie01141976 (Post 2118822)

Marie, I live in Arizona and I think we have the hardest water ever (lots of minerals in it) and I never use a rinse after using one of my Bobeam bars! I tried apple cider a few years back and it made no difference. I think it has more to do with the soap bars you use and the ingredients in them.