Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #1

Default Shea Moisture bar soaps as shampoo bars

I love the idea of shampoo bars, but they never agreed with my hair. I tried pretty much every bar Chagrin Valley makes, and they all made my hair dry, coated and tangley. On a whim, I tried the Shea Moisture Baby Eczema bar that I use on my body to shampoo my hair this morning. Victory! I followed w/ 1 cup of white vinegar diluted w/ 2 cups of warm water to rinse. Amazing, soft clean hair! Didn't dry out my hair or scalp either. I am thinking about trying out some of the other bars they have. Will purchase the olive and green tea, or maybe the lavender orchid one next to try.

Just some background: I only wash my hair every three days, always with a sulfate free, days between I co-wash. I am cone free and henna every 4-6 weeks (whole head). Just thought I would let folks know how well this worked for me, for those who just couldn't make the poo bars work for them in the past.
Leave-in: ABBA Pure Gentle, KCKT, Henna Sooq cocoveda oil.
Stylers: Fairy Tales Curly Q's gel (HG), KCCC, Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothy, GF pure clean gel.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

My hair HATED the one CV bar I tried--it made my hair tangled, too. So, I got rid of all the bars I bought. My hair only tangles when I use an ingredient it didn't like. I narrowed it down to the castor oil. Checked the ingredients for the bar you used:

Ingredients: african shea butter, coconut oil, palm oil, water, vegetable glycerin, palmitic acid, vanilla extract, sodium chloride, argan oil, chamomile, mineral and vegetable pigment

I'm thinking it may be the castor oil your hair doesn't like, either.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Join Date: Jan 2013

Okay, that's really interesting. I remember back before I was cone free I tried Pantene relaxed and natural conditioner and my hair hated it! This conditioner contains (contained, not sure if they still make it?) castor oil, and my hair had that same coated/dry tangled feeling. I think you are on to something! Sometimes it's just as useful to find out what ingredients my hair hates as it is to find out what it loves 😊 Thanks! Luckily for me, it seems like castor oil isn't that common an ingredient in most products?
If you don't mind, can you tell me what products you got rid of that contained it so I avoid them?
Again, thanks for the tip!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by Marie01141976 View Post
Again, thanks for the tip!
I haven't used castor oil since sometime in '08. It was the CV soap bar and a sample of something someone sent me, so I don't remember which one. I mostly buy products from the online, boutique type companies. Am careful about reading ingredients and don't buy anything with castor oil. My hair reacts the same way to mineral oil.

Just read before you use anything.

kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

joseybird's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012

So eager to hear about your results with the other bars!! Have you tried using the bar without a rinse afterwards?
3a - Fine, thin, non-porous hair - boo!

Shampoo: SM shampoos

Clarifying Shampoo: KC Come Clean

Co-Wash: L'Oreal Cleansing Conditioners, As I Am Co-Wash

Hair Gel: L.A. Looks Sport, KCCC, SM Curling Souffle

DT Conditioner: SM Raw Shea Masque, SM Raw Shea conditioner + coconut oil, GVPCB

LI Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, KCKT, VO5 shea + SM baby oil

Curl Enhancers: L.A. Looks Beachy Waves, Organix Moroccan Sea Salt Spray. AG re:coil
joseybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #6

Join Date: Jan 2013

I just bought the Lavender one and the Lemongrass and Ginger one. I have to wait another 2 days though, I'm not due to shampoo until Thurday! Ahhhh, the suspense is killing me!!! I haven't tried using the bar without a rinse because I live in New Hampshire, and we have the hardest water ever. I don't think I would even attempt to use any bar without it. I will report back when I use the next one.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #7

asugirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by Marie01141976 View Post
Marie, I live in Arizona and I think we have the hardest water ever (lots of minerals in it) and I never use a rinse after using one of my Bobeam bars! I tried apple cider a few years back and it made no difference. I think it has more to do with the soap bars you use and the ingredients in them.
asugirl is offline   Reply With Quote