curl junkie gels

• 1 Post By Geek_Chic

I am still pretty new, been CG x 2 months. I have been using Deva and recently tried CJrepair and rehab and loved them. Iwanted to check out other products, but they have FOUR gels!
Curl Queen
Curls in a bottle
Pattern Pusha
Assurance Aloe fix

How is a girl supposed to decide this?

Or would a cream like coffee coco lite be a better place tostart for 2c, very fine hair to start?
2c, some straight pieces on canopy, curlier underneath. Fine, thin, unsure on porosity - sent in my sample and waiting to hear back. Products - have a bunch I am trying out, CJ, Deva, SM Yucca, TJ.
What kind of hold? I think they are all very different. I like CQ the best, has a medium hold. CIAB doesn't have much (any) hold but is a good frizz fighter. PP is ok, I think it has a little less hold than CQ. Aloe Fix was very heavy for my thick and kinky hair and made my hair go straight.

The CCCC lite isn't a gel, supposed to be a curl enhancer. My hair didn't like it much but it was moisturizing.

If you're open to getting samples, a member here, kathymack, sells tons of samples. here is her sample page:
Public Home | Kathymack | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Just private message her here on the forums with a list of the products you'd like to try. I've used her services along with tons of others so she is very trustworthy and ships fast.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Maybe try their Selection Guide? It has options for both porosity /curl type and humidity levels. Individual product pages have recommendations on them for "who needs it", and you can always email Marsha for suggestions.
rbb likes this.

LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 SC, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, AIF,
Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's (link) as needed
You know initially when I started CG I thought I liked a lot of hold since my curl pattern is loose and was getting it from my B5 design gel. (I went through that very quickly using so much.) But then when I switched to just kinky curly curling custard (a quarter size for my whole head) I realized my hair did just fine with a light hold. It was all I needed. And I liked that it felt soft and natural all the time. But then I wanted more and missed the tighter curls I'd get with other gels. (Most of which had protein in them so I couldn't use them.) Thanks to my experiment with Aussie Instant Freeze this week I now know for certain that I prefer a lighter hold and some things are overkill. (Still like the instant freeze all in all, but I'll save it for days when I go dancing or whatever and I'll be very careful how much I use.) Then I tried the pattern pusha for the first time today and I LOVE it. Medium hold, light crunch that's easily taken care of and unfurls on its own. I got it specifically because it's protein and glycerin free. For me it's great on wet and dry hair and it smells pleasant enough and doesn't flake. We'll see how I do tomorrow but so far I'm very excited. If you were on the deva gels and they didn't dry your hair out then your hair must like protein and I'd try the other CJ options. Oh and Geek_Chic that's a great suggestion. I didn't even know the site had such a feature.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

i agree that the selection guide on the curl junkie website is helpful. on that same page, scroll down to the different types/conditions and you'll find more.

i love aloe fix gel, it is my summer HG. however, it has a lot of glycerin and is not good in low dew points, it draws moisture from your hair. if the dew points are mid to high range, it's great.

and, i've love pattern pusha, only i need to scrunch it in AFTER my hair has dried. do not know why, only that it does not work for me when my hair is wet, yet does an amazing job if i scrunch it in dry hair.

curl queen is a good choice in any dew points. ciab is also a good choice, not with hold, but good shine and definition.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
If you're interested in the pattern pusha, I have a full bottle (I've only used it 2xs). It works well, but I'm trying to get rid non HG products and that one didn't make the cut.
Holy Grails:
Cowash: DevaCurl No Poo or As I Am Coconut Wash
Conditioner: Giovanni Tea Tree Tingle
Leave-in: Paul Mitchell the Conditioner
Styling Products: EcoStyler Olive Oil Gel
Oils: Coconut oil. Carol's Daughter Hair Balm.
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Purification Masque (also a great detangler and cleanser)
Thank you everyone! I did find the product selection guide on CJ site, but it seemed there were several new products I did not see on there so wanted to full scoop. I think I may start with CQ gel. I don't think protein is a problem, but the glycerin sure seems to be. I can handle it if it is in the last half of the ingredients ok though. I had NO idea there was so much to this, but I am seeing it starting to pay off
I hope you'll update if you get it! I absolutely love it; one of the few products I can use year round.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: CJ Beauticurls, CJ A&OO, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: Mop C, KCCC, SCE FSG
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

Originally Posted by wannabe
glycerin is great in mid dew points! it's only a problem in low dews, and some people find it a problem in high dew points, my hair loves it in both mid and high dew points. so, for most of us, it's seasonal.

i think all the newer products are on the selection guide. ??? not all products are intended for all hair types, so specific hair types won't have some products listed on theirs. also, remember, it's just a guide, everyone's hair is different. it's a starting place.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Originally Posted by hutch
I am wanting to try the pattern pusha! What didn't you like about it?
So I sampled the pp, cq, and ciab. Ciab had less hold, but honestly the end result of my hair was the same with all three. Strange. ended up buying cq.

Sent from my DROID3 using CurlTalk App
Join Date: May 2012
Originally Posted by hutch
I am wanting to try the pattern pusha! What didn't you like about it?
Originally Posted by curlygirlelaina
I have a bottle that I'm selling. For me it was too much hold for my hair. My hair, maybe it's a low porosity thing prefers very liquidy products. I'm looking forward to trying CIAB.