-   -   Looking for a good mousse... (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/155609-looking-good-mousse.html)

longlivecurls 03-01-2013 11:51 AM

Looking for a good mousse...

For thick, porous, about 3a hair that has very good hold. Prefer something I can get in stores for a good value instead of online and has to be CG friendly. Any suggestions? Thanks :)

anonymous_135172 03-01-2013 12:06 PM

I had some great results with Herbal essences totally twisted curl boosting mousse, really adds volume, one more I have tried is 3 in 1 , but the HE worked best.

longlivecurls 03-01-2013 06:19 PM

I have tried it and I do like the hold but I've noticed that when I spritz my hair to reactivate the mousse it gets hard. I can SOTC the first time but it doesn't completely come off the second time. Have you experienced the same problem? If so, any advice on how to reactivate the mousse without the crunch?

anonymous_135172 03-01-2013 06:52 PM

I don't use the mousse on its own, I always use it under gel so I wouldn't know if it gets hard after reactivating ( it doesn't with the gel ) , with mousse I always use a light hold gel just for the extra hold.

longlivecurls 03-01-2013 09:04 PM

Same here I've been using Biotera gel which has a 3 out of 5 hold under the mousse. Usually if I wet my hands and scrunch my hair the 2nd day I get spots where it's crunchy n it's hard to scrunch out. The first day is not a problem my hair looks nice. I thought maybe trying a different mousse might help or maybe I should try using less than I normally do. :\ I recently tried SM curl mousse and definitely didn't work for me was ok the first day but just not enough hold and since it's a foam instead of a mousse it's very watery. Makes me feel like I am rewetting my hair especially if you put a good amount. Unfortunately my search continues lol.

anonymous_135172 03-01-2013 09:25 PM

Let us know if you find one!
I was eyeing the sm mousse but I read something similar to what you said and decided not to buy it :-)

longlivecurls 03-01-2013 09:38 PM

Will do. :) I think they need to change the formula so it has more hold and has a thicker consistency. The second time I used it, it felt more like soapy water than a mousse and since I have thick hair I feel like I have to use too much. The bottle just wouldn't last me and at $10 each I can't be constantly purchasing it.

lcl0706 03-01-2013 11:06 PM

I like tigi curls rock strong hold mousse. And I have had the same results with Giovanni mousse as you have with the SM mousse. I like it, but I have to use a ton of it & I have fine thin hair that usually doesn't need a ton of anything. It's like soapy water too.

LoveInBetween 03-01-2013 11:52 PM

The Tressume Flawless Curls Mousse is great. Affordable, accessible, good hold..AND CG friendly.

Lynaea 03-02-2013 02:17 AM

It's not really a mousse, but I had good results with the Pantene No Crunch Curls Whip. It's a whipped cream consistency so it never got crunchy and has a light hold on its own. I was using it alone or with jelly products not gels but I imagine the results would be similar. I'm trying lots of stuff so haven't used it consistently but it is light and moisturizing, I got good volume. It's a bit more $ per ounce than most drugstore mousses but I was using about a ping pong ball size amount for my fine, BSL hair rather than the baseball size amount with mousse.

longlivecurls 03-02-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been thinking of trying the tressume & tigi. I will be checking out Walmart today :). Never heard of the Pantene curl whip. Is it CG friendly?

Lynaea 03-02-2013 06:45 PM

Never heard of the Pantene curl whip. Is it CG friendly?

Yup, there is a non-curly version too but the only difference is the order of two ingredients.
Amazon.com: Pantene Pro-V Curly Hair Series No Crunch Curls Whip Moisturizer + Styler, 5.29 oz: Beauty

Hootenanny 03-02-2013 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by longlivecurls (Post 2129628)

The Pantene seems to be CG friendly, but the Tresemme has a 'cone: Cyclopentasiloxane. Many folks claim that this 'cone evaporates as the hair dries, but others say that it doesn't. If you are strictly CG, then this might be an issue. Otherwise, it sounds like a great mousse. :thumbup:

anonymous_135172 03-02-2013 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lynaea (Post 2129714)

Walmart should have it, other version is in a gold bottle.

I just looked at that one, it has mineral oil. Is that easily removed with co washing?

LoveInBetween 03-02-2013 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hootenanny (Post 2129754)

LoveInBetween 03-02-2013 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hootenanny (Post 2129754)

Originally Posted by longlivecurls (Post 2129628)

I havent had any problems with this mousse. Cyclopentasiloxane does evaporate and whatever bits are left can be cowashed/cleansed right out. It's so low on the ingredients, I wouldnt be too anal about it.

Lynaea 03-03-2013 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nikitakev (Post 2129763)

Originally Posted by Lynaea (Post 2129714)

Walmart should have it, other version is in a gold bottle.

Jas76 sure seems to think so :toothy10: there's a huge thread on using mineral oil to seal.

longlivecurls 03-03-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by LoveInBetween (Post 2129817)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Good to know because I decided to try that one first since its a decent size for $4.

Myrna 03-03-2013 02:48 PM

Regular Pantene curls mousse - not the new one - has a really good hold, I use it in the summer. I have used Tousle me Softly, you might like that. And of course the Deva foam, but you said you wanted something easily available...

Beebop 03-03-2013 09:26 PM

You've got to try Condition 3-in-1 mousse!! It's the best and only mousse that gives me consistent results for the past few years and I think I've tried almost every high and low end mousse that there is. Every time I see a new mousse come out I buy it, try it and return it and go back to this one. If you look at online reviews it has a very loyal following over many years...it use to be owned by Clairol and now helen of troy I think. I get mine at Walgreens or CVS on the bottom shelf and it's in a white can with purple on it, the maximum hold one. This is the one I've been using after I super soak and I get fabulous results!