Looking for a good mousse...

For thick, porous, about 3a hair that has very good hold. Prefer something I can get in stores for a good value instead of online and has to be CG friendly. Any suggestions? Thanks

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
I had some great results with Herbal essences totally twisted curl boosting mousse, really adds volume, one more I have tried is 3 in 1 , but the HE worked best.

Co-wash: Suave Naturals everlasting sunshine
Rinse out :Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, GVP, Garnier Fructis Pure and Clean

My hair hates flax seed gel, everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
I have tried it and I do like the hold but I've noticed that when I spritz my hair to reactivate the mousse it gets hard. I can SOTC the first time but it doesn't completely come off the second time. Have you experienced the same problem? If so, any advice on how to reactivate the mousse without the crunch?

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
I don't use the mousse on its own, I always use it under gel so I wouldn't know if it gets hard after reactivating ( it doesn't with the gel ) , with mousse I always use a light hold gel just for the extra hold.

My hair hates flax seed gel, everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
Same here I've been using Biotera gel which has a 3 out of 5 hold under the mousse. Usually if I wet my hands and scrunch my hair the 2nd day I get spots where it's crunchy n it's hard to scrunch out. The first day is not a problem my hair looks nice. I thought maybe trying a different mousse might help or maybe I should try using less than I normally do. :\ I recently tried SM curl mousse and definitely didn't work for me was ok the first day but just not enough hold and since it's a foam instead of a mousse it's very watery. Makes me feel like I am rewetting my hair especially if you put a good amount. Unfortunately my search continues lol.

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
Let us know if you find one!
I was eyeing the sm mousse but I read something similar to what you said and decided not to buy it :-)

My hair hates flax seed gel, everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
Will do. I think they need to change the formula so it has more hold and has a thicker consistency. The second time I used it, it felt more like soapy water than a mousse and since I have thick hair I feel like I have to use too much. The bottle just wouldn't last me and at $10 each I can't be constantly purchasing it.

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
I like tigi curls rock strong hold mousse. And I have had the same results with Giovanni mousse as you have with the SM mousse. I like it, but I have to use a ton of it & I have fine thin hair that usually doesn't need a ton of anything. It's like soapy water too.
fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel

The Tressume Flawless Curls Mousse is great. Affordable, accessible, good hold..AND CG friendly.

""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

It's not really a mousse, but I had good results with the Pantene No Crunch Curls Whip. It's a whipped cream consistency so it never got crunchy and has a light hold on its own. I was using it alone or with jelly products not gels but I imagine the results would be similar. I'm trying lots of stuff so haven't used it consistently but it is light and moisturizing, I got good volume. It's a bit more $ per ounce than most drugstore mousses but I was using about a ping pong ball size amount for my fine, BSL hair rather than the baseball size amount with mousse.

glycerin, honey, oils & butters Protein!
Thanks for the suggestions. I have been thinking of trying the tressume & tigi. I will be checking out Walmart today . Never heard of the Pantene curl whip. Is it CG friendly?

Originally Posted by longlivecurls
Yup, there is a non-curly version too but the only difference is the order of two ingredients.
Amazon.com: Pantene Pro-V Curly Hair Series No Crunch Curls Whip Moisturizer + Styler, 5.29 oz: Beauty

Originally Posted by longlivecurls
The Pantene seems to be CG friendly, but the Tresemme has a 'cone: Cyclopentasiloxane. Many folks claim that this 'cone evaporates as the hair dries, but others say that it doesn't. If you are strictly CG, then this might be an issue. Otherwise, it sounds like a great mousse.
Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s
CG (again) since Nov. 2012

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention, Elucence MBC, KC Come Clean
Condish: Giovanni DL, Cure Care, Ion Treatment, GVP Balm, AOHR
Protein: AOGPB, CNPF, SSRPT
Stylers: KCCC, SM Souffle, AOMM, SS CEJ, JCRR, JCCC

Trying out steaming!
Originally Posted by Lynaea
I just looked at that one, it has mineral oil. Is that easily removed with co washing?

Originally Posted by Hootenanny

Originally Posted by Hootenanny
I havent had any problems with this mousse. Cyclopentasiloxane does evaporate and whatever bits are left can be cowashed/cleansed right out. It's so low on the ingredients, I wouldnt be too anal about it.

Originally Posted by Lynaea
Originally Posted by Nikitakev
Jas76 sure seems to think so there's a huge thread on using mineral oil to seal.

Originally Posted by LoveInBetween
Good to know because I decided to try that one first since its a decent size for $4.

GOING STRONG!!! SAY NO TO HEAT!!!
Regular Pantene curls mousse - not the new one - has a really good hold, I use it in the summer. I have used Tousle me Softly, you might like that. And of course the Deva foam, but you said you wanted something easily available...
You've got to try Condition 3-in-1 mousse!! It's the best and only mousse that gives me consistent results for the past few years and I think I've tried almost every high and low end mousse that there is. Every time I see a new mousse come out I buy it, try it and return it and go back to this one. If you look at online reviews it has a very loyal following over many years...it use to be owned by Clairol and now helen of troy I think. I get mine at Walgreens or CVS on the bottom shelf and it's in a white can with purple on it, the maximum hold one. This is the one I've been using after I super soak and I get fabulous results!
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Cond.- Yes to Carrots, Tresemme Nat., Desert essence italian red grape
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.