My hair is so FREAKING DRY!!!

• 1 Post By tenapaige

Why is my hair so dry its so annoying I just want my curls to be hydrated and have that nice natural sheen to them... Can someone recommend a great deep conditioner whether its a "diy" or something store bought I dont care we just need to get to the bottom of this because I dont like having dry curls, right now I am using the v05 shea moisture as a leave in it has protein in it could this be why its so dry... I also dye my hair quite often so im not sure if this is a contributing factor but im starting to deep condition my hair once a week and wash with shampoo only once a month... I JUST NEED SOME TIPS AND PRODUCTS PLEASE HELP!!!

My hair is so FREAKING DRY!!!-imageuploadedbycurltalk1362945652.947941.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My hair is so FREAKING DRY!!!-imageuploadedbycurltalk1362945590.951373.jpg
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Dying your hair is definitely going to make it dry.
Yes! I am currently using that vo5 conditioner right now (will be making a transition to higher end products as soon as I can come up with a spring regimen) and in addition to the protein, it contains denatured alcohol, which is EXTREMELY DRYING (the kind used in hair spray). Try the Moisture Milks collection, if you want to continue using Vo5, as it's honestly the best drugstore CG conditioner you'll find. But, I'd recommend deep conditioning and getting better products when/if you can.
3b/c/a dry fine, high porosity curls in NEED OF MOISTURE!

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry
Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-In: (See: Co-Wash)
Stylers: HESMU mousse & gel, got2b spiked up gel, and the occasional Ampro Pro-Style gel for shalacking down a ponytail for cheer
DT: none any suggestions?
Originally Posted by taylorwilstein
Yeah ive tried this deep conditioner but its not doing anything as far as I can tell I'll try one more week Im thinkning about trying that gvp conditioning balm many have been raving about
Dying your hair is definitely going to make it dry.
Originally Posted by Gypsycurl
Yes I know but I never like keeping one color in my hair for long so im trying to find some products that can maintain balance n my hair because truth is i really love dying my hair
Originally Posted by rbb
Thanks ill do some research on this problem
Originally Posted by rbb
*product
Originally Posted by tenapaige
Yes! I do love that GVP Conditioning Balm! It's my HG, is truly moisturizing, and I think it honestly works for everyone, since it's glycerin-free, silicone-free, protein-free, and uses mostly moisturizing alcohols. It's also a pretty great price of $6/16 oz at Sally's, if you have one of those around. If you don't (like me), you'll have to order it online, which of course includes those dreaded shipping costs!
3b/c/a dry fine, high porosity curls in NEED OF MOISTURE!

Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Fresh Mountain Strawberry
Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-In: (See: Co-Wash)
DT: none any suggestions?
Originally Posted by tenapaige
Originally Posted by taylorwilstein
Just bought it yesterday I definitely like the consistency but im still not sure how I like it on my hair I dont see much difference in my hair or its texture
I use the GVP conditioning balm as a co-wash and sometimes as a leave in too. It takes some time to see a difference from it but it helps. I use a lot, really coat my hair with it. I'm also playing with stylers that add moisture because my hair sucks it in (I dye regularly too).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Location:Sunny Florida
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
I started using gvp for almost two weeks and Im deep conditioning once a week with another product its Elasta Qp Soy Oyl Ultrahydration Deep Condit. and I see a big difference in my hair. Gvp is a nice co wash and leavin... As a styler I use the Gvp over my wet hair and then deva curls volumizing foam and I got beautiful defined curls WITH NO DRYNESS and just a tad bit of frizz NO LONGER DRYYY THANKS GIRLS!!!
Hootenanny likes this.
I wonder if it has something to do with the type of hair dye or colour. A friend if mine has gone to the same stylist for years; they have always used the same professional dye. When she decided to go red, her hair became horrible. It got really dry and frizzy. Now that she has gone back to chocolate it has been fine. Both types if dye were the same company.
When I tried a new stylist I got my hair coloured. My hair felt like straw. I returned to my old stylist for colour -they use Aveda hair colour. My hair has been fine.
Another suggestion for dry hair is Komaza Califia Moisture Cream. I use this in second day hair to prevent frizz. It really moisturizer. After my hair was dried out, I would scrunch some in at night as well. My hair really soaked it up.

And finally, oil supplements can also help your hair. Essential fatty acids, flax seed, evening primrose - they all help my hair and skin when I remember to take them

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
I think you have to be aware that super healthy&dyed hair isn't possible for most curlies. Unfortunately
It's a choice you have to make, do you think your hair looks better dyed and a little less healthier or in your natural colour but more healthy?

Stop using shampoo and start doing deep treatments every week will really really help. But stop or eliminate dying will defenitely make a very big difference. Especially bleaching hair, or dying and/or bleaching the same strands over and over again will make it very dry, damaged and porous.
highlighted 3a hair. Fine strands, medium to high density. Probably high porosity. Growing uit bad layering and aiming for waist lenght!

Pre-poo: coconut oil
wash: CJ Daily fix or SheaMoisture Coconut&Hibiscus
RO + LI: different every time
Styler: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB

dislikes: glycerin in low dews, scissor happy stylists, magnesium sulfate

(modified) CG since june 25, 2012
Hiarfinity + extra MSM since March 5., 2014

SL - APL - BSBL- BSL - MBL - WL (stretched)