-   -   Alternative to Biotera Styling Gel? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/156037-alternative-biotera-styling-gel.html)

jctl 03-12-2013 10:56 AM

Alternative to Biotera Styling Gel?

Hello, everyone, I could really use some help. I've been using Biotera Styling Gel for several months now, and I really like what it does for my 3A/3B fine hair. However, I think that it is also responsible for my itchy scalp problem - I think I have a sensitivity to the preservative combo that it uses. Since I stopped using it two weeks ago, my scalp feels great, but my hair is limp and frizzy.

I'm looking for something with medium or strong hold that will let me get good curls in wet hair, then SOTC (without a strong smell). I don't have enough cash to try a lot of new products, so I'm hoping for some help picking the right thing. Cheaper would be better, but I'm willing to pay more for something that works.

Thanks for your help.

kathymack 03-12-2013 02:47 PM

I'm allergic to Biotera gel, too. Never did figure it out, but thought it might be Propylene Glycol. It's a common allergy.

Best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, you should look for someone with hair like yours and see what they use (in signatures.) It's the best place to start.

I try to use the more natural products. My hair doesn't care for chemicals, especially polyquats. Biotera gel has 4 pretty high up on the ingredients list. Another thing to do is rotate products. My hair always satiated on product, even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use the same thing more then once in five days. If you don't use a product too much, it seems to help with the allergies, too.

tricello 03-12-2013 03:03 PM

KM - What does satiate on products mean? How do you know your hair is satiated?

jctl 03-12-2013 03:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think for me it's the combination of Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone as preservatives - I've heard that people can have a sensitivity to these two in leave-in products, and I've used other products with Propylene Glycol without a problem.

I've seen a lot of great recommendations on this board - I guess I was looking for someone who had tried a product very similar to Biotera so I could make use of people's experience - I want Biotera without these preservatives!

kathymack 03-12-2013 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tricello (Post 2135813)
KM - What does satiate on products mean? How do you know your hair is satiated?

Satiate is satisfied to the full--basically, it stops working. Hair is limp and lifeless--when it used to look great with the product.

Marie01141976 03-13-2013 01:27 PM

I think biotera gel has protein in it (soy)? You describe "limp and frizzy" as the results of not using it....maybe you should try a RO w/ protein and another type of gel? I'm wondering if its the protein your hair is missing and not the gel? Just a thought :)

Beebop 03-13-2013 05:34 PM

Aura hypoallergenic gel at Sallys might be an alternative but I didn't compare ingredients and haven't used it in a while, but it's liquid-y just like the Biotera and I think made by the same company, hopefully it doesn't have what you might be sensitive to as well.

jctl 03-14-2013 08:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Beebob - I went to Sally's yesterday, and after eliminating everything with the preservative I was trying to avoid and everything with the wrong texture or scent, I picked up a bottle of Aura. The old bottle I had under the sink had the same preservative pair, but it's been slightly reformulated since then, so I have high hopes. I remember liking it almost as much as Biotera, but thinking that the hold wasn't quite as strong.

Beebop 03-15-2013 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by jctl (Post 2137279)

Glad to help, let me know how it works because I understand they reformulated the Biotera gel too and I still have a partial liter left

jctl 03-20-2013 10:31 PM

After trying the Aura a few times, here's the verdict: good curl formation, but not great long-term hold. I miss the second-day and even third-day hair that the Biotera gave me. For someone looking for slightly softer curls, the Aura might be perfect. I'm going to keep using it for now, since it's the best thing I've tried.

Beebop 03-20-2013 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by jctl (Post 2141238)

Thanks for sharing, I may have to give it a try again since I love a soft hold and restyle everyday anyway