-   -   What's your HG rinse-out? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/156337-whats-your-hg-rinse-out.html)

MaggieT 03-20-2013 09:16 AM

What's your HG rinse-out?

I've got a pretty good CG routine going, but can't seem to find a rinse-out that I absolutely love.

I've got fine, medium dense, low-porosity 3b hair (it loosens to more like a 3a in the cooler weather), on the long side. (Getting longer each day!)

Deva products stopped working for me, as I know they have for so many. I've tried Aubrey Organics GPB and their Honeysuckle Rose, Giovanni Smoothing condish, SheaMoisture Repairing condish, CJ Beauticurls with protein, Jessicurls Aloeba, Oyin Honey Hemp . . . and all of them are sort of okay (except for the Oyin, which my hair hated), but none is great. I want to find something with good slip for detangling that will really moisturize and get into my hair, leaving it soft, conditioned, and juicy.

If you have something that does this for you, I'd love to know what it is! Esp. if your hair properties are similar to mine! :)

Corrina777 03-20-2013 09:56 AM

I've recently become a very big fan of Regis Olive Oil Conditioner. It doesn't have the best slip out of my conditioners, but I find it has a nice protein/moisture balance. My hair properties are not identical to yours (I'm fine/thick/normal/normal), but I decided to try it based on rave reviews from someone with your identical properties.

hambo02 03-20-2013 08:00 PM

garnier pure clean for my rinse out

kathymack 03-21-2013 06:09 AM

I'm going to come out of "left field" with this answer--and it's only my opinion. If your hair is truly low porosity, your rinse out is your least important product. Unless you take a LONG shower, a minute, or two, on low porosity hair isn't going to do a lot.

I get my hair cut every six weeks. It only tangles if I use an ingredient it HATES (castor and mineral oil do it.) The fact that you want something with "slip to detangle" makes me question whether or not your hair is low porosity.

Frequently, I use product that I want to get rid of as my rinse out. If it's a richer styling product, it works well for that purpose. The only product(s) that gave me a problem were the SM with the orange label. They just sit on my hair (even after I rinse them out) and weigh it down. I've had to use soap bars to get the residual ingredients out.

MaggieT 03-21-2013 07:08 AM

Kathy, thanks so much for weighing in! It's definitely low-porosity; if I do the sink test, it never sinks. (Not if I leave it all day.) And it's hard to get products to absorb. But with long 3b curls that I only wash 1-2 times a week (and I only finger detangle in the shower, never with a comb or brush out of the shower), it does get tangled; and I take a longish shower when I cowash in order to let the condish sit, shave, things like that.

I find that if I use something I want to get rid of (like the Aubrey), my hair just ends up dry and piece-y; I can't get any clumps and I get stringy, 1980s curls. With something sightly better (like the Giovanni) I can get soft clumps; but I'd love to find something that really moisturizes and shines, the whole nine yards. I always get that if I DT, and I feel like, surely there has to be a RO that will do it in between DTs?

Thanks as ever for your good advice -- always appreciate it!

kathymack 03-21-2013 09:45 AM

The float test is notoriously unreliable. You need to do the test where you run your fingers from tip to root. If it slips and, possibly squeaks, it's low porosity.

I was going by the length in your avatar. Possibly frequent trims would help.

You're using some products with polyquats. Maybe if you try not using them after you shampoo--see what happens. While I'm told that they don't build up, for me, they seemed to "coat" my hair and cause frizz when wet. Haven't had that problem since I've eliminated them.

chloe92us 03-21-2013 10:09 AM

That Aubrey Organics honeysuckle rose conditioner is absolutely the most disgusting-smelling, did-absolutely-nothing-for-my-hair, conditioner I have ever used! I bought it based on recommendations here, but realized the formula changed last year, and the good recs were for the old formula!

Kinky Curly Knot Today is AWESOME for detangling, and I use it as a leave-in sometimes. For RO, I like Yes to Cucumbers or GVP Conditioning Balm.

My hair doesn't have the same props as you, but those are good ones I've found. HTH.

MaggieT 03-21-2013 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2141418)

I was going by the length in your avatar. Possibly frequent trims would help.

Kathy, wait, what test is that? (Is there a post or a video on it? I'm not sure if you mean to pinch the hair between two fingers, or just to run the fingers up -- or down -- the strands?) I'll totally do that.

Hear you on the trims, but not an option at $135/pop and trying to grow my long hair back after a disastercut. Anyway, it's the top of the hair that gets really dry, more than the bottom; ends aren't super split.

Label-reading newbie question: Are all polyquats listed as polyquats on labels, or is there stuff with different kinds of names that are polyquats? I will look out for that, thank you!

kathymack 03-21-2013 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2141472)

Here's the link on hair properties I usually give. It explains the porosity text-- Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics

polyquat is short for polyquaternium They are always followed by numbers. There are some that are harder to remove then others. I've learned to stay away from all of them.

MaggieT 03-21-2013 01:40 PM

Kathy, you're so helpful, that's a great link. I am DEFINITELY low porosity on that test! Super fast and a faint squeak!

sexyspirals 03-21-2013 04:44 PM

I haven't found my ideal RO either, but lately I've been using Garnier Sleek and Shine. It's CG, thick and has good slip, and it's nice and cheap and doesn't have much of a smell. It doesn't weigh down my hair too much and it clumps well. I've been lazy about products for the past few years so I haven't tried too many different ones (ever since L'oreal discontinued the Vive Pro Nutri-Gloss I've had indifferent-to-poor reactions to other ROs) but this one is consistently not-problematic for me. I didn't have it when I lived in England and I found a UK brand there I loved for my RO, but I can't get that here so back to Garnier for me!

Hope that helps!

MaggieT 03-22-2013 08:40 AM

I'm gonna try the Garnier and the GVP (no Regis anywhere near me, alas); thanks for the suggestions. I also tried a new CJ condish today. Here's hoping, we'll see when it's dry!

joseybird 03-22-2013 09:57 AM

My hair is fine and low-porosity too, and I love SVP CB and coconut oil =) Or one of the SM conditioners + coconut oil. I leave my RO in overnight and rinse in the morning.

MaggieT 03-22-2013 10:26 AM

Joseybird, what's SVP? And do you mix the coconut in yourself?

joseybird 03-22-2013 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieT (Post 2142060)
Joseybird, what's SVP? And do you mix the coconut in yourself?

Oh sorry I meant GVP!

I scoop out some coconut oil and mix it in my palms with the conditioner, then smooth it through my hair :)

turquoisecurls 03-22-2013 11:25 AM

Right now the best rinse out for my daughter ( low porosity} and for me ( high porosity) is V05 ocean refresh, I bought it as a co wash but it gives both of us soo much slip and moisture it is HG rinse out.
We both have to wash hair daily at he moment and it is great that we don't need much to get the job done and a bottle last us 2 weeks!
My new philosophy, if I need half a bottle to detangle it is time to get a new conditioner, the GVP lasted 4 days and the Knot today 5 days. So for now it is V05 for us :-)

Myrna 03-22-2013 09:00 PM

Kathy: I have heard you speak out against polyquats enough so that I have consulted the wording in my product stash, and almost everything has polyquats! My Biotera Gel does not nor does it has glycerin - which I suspect is a no no for my hair. All the mousses have polyquats - and the one that seems to work best, Deva, has polyquaternium 60, which means what? but that is the highest number I have ever seen. That mousse works best with the Biotera gel. I have yet to find a go-to conditioner, which would also match what you said a bout coarse low porousity hair..which is also supposed to avoid protein...I think you can see why it is miracle that I have hair left, that it has not fallen out from all this hair anxiety (a new psychiatric diagnosis which I have just now invented); or, that I have not pulled it all out, and there IS a legitimate diagnosis term for that - anyhow, I would be glad to have your thoughts.

kathymack 03-23-2013 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Myrna (Post 2142471)

You may find post #37 in this thread of interest http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...ml#post2141338

Here's an old article by Curl Chemist on polyquats All About Another Hard-to-Pronounce Compound The fact that they use the term "film forming" about 4 and 10 tells me why I have issues. Curl Chemist has responded to me in some threads that they don't build up. However, I know that I have issues with them, so avoid them.

I really can't tell you about polyquaternium 60. I did a google search on both nc.com and the rest of the internet--didn't really see anything.

ltdeforrest 03-30-2013 08:47 PM

My favorite rinse out is actually a deep treatment, Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment. My hair LOVES it as a rinse out! I also like Jessicurl Too Shea, but use that one mostly as a leave in. I also really like Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner, it has great slip in my hair.

kurlygurly 03-30-2013 11:29 PM

I live Aubrey Organics White Camellia conditioner. Great slip and wonderful moisturizer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App