Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #1

Join Date: Jan 2013
Default John Frieda Frizz-Ease?

Okay, so I'm a newbie! I haven't fully gotten into the CG method yet, but I've started to shampoo a lot less. I've read on the site that we should avoid silicones..but today I bought this product BEFORE reading the ingredients! (my bad lol) so it has dimethiconol, and cyclopentasiloxane, which are silicones right?

I don't wanna let this product go completely to waste, so would it really be bad to use this product at least once in a while?
liz022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

Geek_Chic's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

You could use it occasionally and then follow up next wash day with a low poo (sulfate free shampoo) that contains either Cocamidopropyl Betaine or Cocobetaine. Both those ingredients will remove any and all silicones. Alternatively, a sulfate shampoo will remove the cones too, your hair will just be drier afterward and need a good conditioning session.
CG since 11/2011

Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, Cure Care
Stylers: HESMU, LALSG
PT: IAGirl's (every 2 weeks or as needed)
Trying: Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
Geek_Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

fm_typeright's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I use a similar product (giovanni's version) every now and again, and I've been modified CG for over a year. My advice is to make sure that your hair is well-moisturized before using the product. Silicones aren't necessarily bad for your hair in and of themselves. However, they form a barrier that prevents moisture from coming in or leaving the hair (which is why it helps with frizz). They also require a sulfate shampoo to get out. Most of the time, you can get away with using a low-sulfate shampoo (burt's bees, giovanni, alba, and loreal are some widely available brands that make sulfate-free shampoo).

Go ahead and look up your hair type to figure out some good ways to moisturize. I use a little bit of coconut oil on the bottom half of my hair. You can use conditioners with oils in them if you're not sure about using straight-up oil. Just make sure you moisturize your hair before you use the product!
fm_typeright is offline   Reply With Quote