-   -   Devacurl ultra defining gel--have you tried it, know how to use it? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/157574-devacurl-ultra-defining-gel-have-you-tried-know-how-use.html)

Curlswirl 04-22-2013 12:38 PM

Devacurl ultra defining gel--have you tried it, know how to use it?

Has anyone here tried this product? What did you think of it? I used it for the first time today with One Condition as a leave-in and I found this product almost too moisturizing. I am wondering if I should try B -Leavein with it. Any advice on how to use this product would be appreciated. BTW, I have fine, thinnish 2b/3a hair.

Corrina777 04-22-2013 01:38 PM

I'm not a huge an of Deva styling products in general, but Ultra Defining Gel is an HG for me. I've used it alone over conditioner (I don't use the DevaCURL One C because it felt like it sat on tip of my hair and made my roots feel gunky. If I'm leaving my conditioner in my hair I either use the DevaCARE One C or I use Regis Olive Oil Conditioner). I've also used this over Re:Coil and Curl Keeper. My hair is thick/dense, but fine in texture. Make sure you use a good amount of gel (I use a ton of product, no matter what I use). If you check out the Curly Girl book, the instructional DVD is really useful an you would be amazed at the amount of gel they use.

Curlswirl 04-22-2013 01:50 PM

Thanks for your feedback Corrina! I found the front of my hair/side swept bang section got too soft and flat and straighter and longer from this product but I am amazed by how soft and shiny my hair is! I think this product might elongate the curls.

lashawnb 04-23-2013 11:11 PM

I have tightly curled 3c/4a hair and I used this gel once. Scared to try it again. I never had issues with One Condition but this UD gel makes me hesitant to try anything else!

Curious about difference between Deva Care/Curl One Condition.

LoveInBetween 04-23-2013 11:20 PM

It gave me buildup around my hairline and made my roots feel gunky. I only use OneC as a leave in with no gel and have seen a difference.

I want to to try the DevaCare OneC.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App

Curlswirl 04-26-2013 12:32 PM

i am going to try it with B'Leavin and if I do not get good results I might return it.

Samanthascurlz 05-23-2013 03:28 PM

If I had enough money to spend to get this gel everytime...I WOULD. I love it. It smells amazing! And once it dries, I shake out the gel cast, and it leaves my hair so soft! I found a replacement for the DC- OC but now I need to find one for the gel. I love it, personally. I do know; however, a lot of love/hate for DC products tho.

vangrey 06-24-2013 07:54 PM

Love this gel!!
I use it on top of one c and heaven in hair (I mix the 2 as a leave-in)
I like the consistency and that it absorbs well
Never flakes on me

Aleesi 06-29-2013 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Curlswirl (Post 2157598)

I find DevaCurl ultra defining gel to be a strong hold. So maybe if you use less of the One Condition or omitting it altogether you won't have a 'too moisturising' problem.

pinksugar 07-01-2013 05:33 PM

I love it! My only complaint is I wish my hair had more shine when using it. I used Joiwhip today and my hair isn't as curly and it flat out does not look as good. Can't wait to get back to everything DevaCurl tomorrow :)

KiraSavannah 07-01-2013 06:14 PM

I want to try the Light defining gel, because I'm scared of the stronghold from this one

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

pinksugar 07-03-2013 09:14 AM

I just had to come back to say I really love this gel! Especially, now that I got the shine back. I was applying too much gel. I found a video by a salon and tried their application and I have bouncy, shiny, defined curls today. I am very happy! I also figured out that I wasn't using enough OneC.

spiderlashes5000 07-03-2013 11:52 AM

I don't find it that much stronger than the light hold version(aka Angell).

I washed my hair this am and used DC One Condition, left about 25% of it in and raked a half dollar size amt of the gel in and scrunched. Then diffused. I don't find it overly mousturizing...but on my straw like hair, nothing is.

CurlyInTheFog 07-12-2013 08:04 PM

Blech. I hate this stuff. I've been to the salon twice in four weeks (decided I wanted to go shorter, that's why so little time between visits), and both times after the stylist used this gel, my hair feels gunked up. I know he didn't use too much, because he showed me how much he uses, and if anything, it's less than what I use of my own products. His application is fine, the drying is fine, the final feel is gross. I can use a good amount of KCCC/BRHG and once it dries and I SOTC, you can't tell I have product in my hair. This gives me curl definition and hold, but it just feels like crap.

anonymous_133347 07-14-2013 01:04 PM

Same here. I got a very producty feel with the UDG. And the weird thing is it isn't that heavy. It's light and you can SOTC really easily. But my hair felt awful when I tried it. And when I went to wash it was tangly and dry. It did look good though.

KiraSavannah 07-14-2013 02:39 PM

Well I tried it yesterday, and it gives nice definition nothing special, it's hold isn't strong, but it smells amaziiiing (a must for me) I like that it's not strong though

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

pinksugar 07-14-2013 03:23 PM

I found that spraying Set It Free after applying gel and before diffusing helped a lot with curl definition and frizz. I got a few compliments yesterday while at the mall. I haven't had any for about a month (since using only Deva products). I stuck with the products because I'm shedding less hair. I'm so happy I finally figured out what works with this gel.

CurlyInTheFog 07-14-2013 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by dusalocks (Post 2190737)

I get very little crunch with the Deva. It would actually be a great product--little crunch, good definition and hold--if it didn't feel so dang yucky. On the other hand, my KCCC + BRHG doesn't look so good drying because it's so crunchy, but it looks and feels great after SOTC. And this morning I rolled out of bed and had perfect second day hair! I'm loving this cut. I think my stylist is a genius, other than using that Deva gel, haha.

starznthings 07-18-2013 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by pinksugar (Post 2190773)

I am totally on the fence about this gel. I think I don't like it, but then I think maybe I am doing something wrong. I am going to try it again, pinksugar, and do what you do with the Set It Free. Then I think I will make a decision. I don't want to give up on it just yet....:dontknow: Also, like dusalocks and CurlyInTheFog, sometimes I think it feels producty as well, and the same problem that when washed I my hair it felt tangly and dry! I think maybe I will try using less, also. Sorry, not much help at this point. I always go back to the original AnGel or Arc AnGel as my go to gels (they might be named something different now).

pinksugar 07-20-2013 02:27 PM

One other thing I've been doing is leaving OneC in. I hope you get better results!