Devacurl ultra defining gel--have you tried it, know how to use it?

Has anyone here tried this product? What did you think of it? I used it for the first time today with One Condition as a leave-in and I found this product almost too moisturizing. I am wondering if I should try B -Leavein with it. Any advice on how to use this product would be appreciated. BTW, I have fine, thinnish 2b/3a hair.
I'm not a huge an of Deva styling products in general, but Ultra Defining Gel is an HG for me. I've used it alone over conditioner (I don't use the DevaCURL One C because it felt like it sat on tip of my hair and made my roots feel gunky. If I'm leaving my conditioner in my hair I either use the DevaCARE One C or I use Regis Olive Oil Conditioner). I've also used this over Re:Coil and Curl Keeper. My hair is thick/dense, but fine in texture. Make sure you use a good amount of gel (I use a ton of product, no matter what I use). If you check out the Curly Girl book, the instructional DVD is really useful an you would be amazed at the amount of gel they use.
Curlsnswirls likes this.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
Thanks for your feedback Corrina! I found the front of my hair/side swept bang section got too soft and flat and straighter and longer from this product but I am amazed by how soft and shiny my hair is! I think this product might elongate the curls.
I have tightly curled 3c/4a hair and I used this gel once. Scared to try it again. I never had issues with One Condition but this UD gel makes me hesitant to try anything else!

Curious about difference between Deva Care/Curl One Condition.
hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~
last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly

taken 3/30/11
It gave me buildup around my hairline and made my roots feel gunky. I only use OneC as a leave in with no gel and have seen a difference.

I want to to try the DevaCare OneC.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

i am going to try it with B'Leavin and if I do not get good results I might return it.
If I had enough money to spend to get this gel everytime...I WOULD. I love it. It smells amazing! And once it dries, I shake out the gel cast, and it leaves my hair so soft! I found a replacement for the DC- OC but now I need to find one for the gel. I love it, personally. I do know; however, a lot of love/hate for DC products tho.
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity
Co-wash, leave in, and gel: Alba botanica coconut cond., ogx mousse, &/or super wet look gel.
Curls
Love this gel!!
I use it on top of one c and heaven in hair (I mix the 2 as a leave-in)
I like the consistency and that it absorbs well
Never flakes on me
Updated April 6, 2010

CG Method

Type: 3b
Porous, normal elasticity, and coarse texture

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Styling: CJ, jojoba oil, KCCC
DT: CJ Curl Rehab, CR Algae Deep conditioner
Originally Posted by Curlswirl
I find DevaCurl ultra defining gel to be a strong hold. So maybe if you use less of the One Condition or omitting it altogether you won't have a 'too moisturising' problem.
I love it! My only complaint is I wish my hair had more shine when using it. I used Joiwhip today and my hair isn't as curly and it flat out does not look as good. Can't wait to get back to everything DevaCurl tomorrow
I want to try the Light defining gel, because I'm scared of the stronghold from this one

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
I just had to come back to say I really love this gel! Especially, now that I got the shine back. I was applying too much gel. I found a video by a salon and tried their application and I have bouncy, shiny, defined curls today. I am very happy! I also figured out that I wasn't using enough OneC.
I don't find it that much stronger than the light hold version(aka Angell).

I washed my hair this am and used DC One Condition, left about 25% of it in and raked a half dollar size amt of the gel in and scrunched. Then diffused. I don't find it overly mousturizing...but on my straw like hair, nothing is.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Blech. I hate this stuff. I've been to the salon twice in four weeks (decided I wanted to go shorter, that's why so little time between visits), and both times after the stylist used this gel, my hair feels gunked up. I know he didn't use too much, because he showed me how much he uses, and if anything, it's less than what I use of my own products. His application is fine, the drying is fine, the final feel is gross. I can use a good amount of KCCC/BRHG and once it dries and I SOTC, you can't tell I have product in my hair. This gives me curl definition and hold, but it just feels like crap.
dusalocks likes this.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Condition with STC or Yes to Blueberries and detangle with Denman, rinse very lightly (baptismal rinse)
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry
Same here. I got a very producty feel with the UDG. And the weird thing is it isn't that heavy. It's light and you can SOTC really easily. But my hair felt awful when I tried it. And when I went to wash it was tangly and dry. It did look good though.
3A - C, HP, ME, HD. (Coarse, High Porosity, Medium Elasticity, High Density.)

CG since Nov. 2012

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper
Sealers: Jojoba* or Grapeseed* oil

* = HG

Well I tried it yesterday, and it gives nice definition nothing special, it's hold isn't strong, but it smells amaziiiing (a must for me) I like that it's not strong though

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
CG/LOC Method's 3b/3c hair SL-Curly/ Goal-MBL Curly
Weekly Poo/Low Poo: some Shea M Poo.
Weekly Deep Treat-Dermorganic Intensive Hair Masque
Bi-Weekly RO:Tresseme Naturals - V.Smooth/N.Moisture
Daily Leave in:Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler
Daily Oil: Olive Oil & Conut Oil Mix
Daily Styler: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
I found that spraying Set It Free after applying gel and before diffusing helped a lot with curl definition and frizz. I got a few compliments yesterday while at the mall. I haven't had any for about a month (since using only Deva products). I stuck with the products because I'm shedding less hair. I'm so happy I finally figured out what works with this gel.
Originally Posted by dusalocks
I get very little crunch with the Deva. It would actually be a great product--little crunch, good definition and hold--if it didn't feel so dang yucky. On the other hand, my KCCC + BRHG doesn't look so good drying because it's so crunchy, but it looks and feels great after SOTC. And this morning I rolled out of bed and had perfect second day hair! I'm loving this cut. I think my stylist is a genius, other than using that Deva gel, haha.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry
Originally Posted by pinksugar
I am totally on the fence about this gel. I think I don't like it, but then I think maybe I am doing something wrong. I am going to try it again, pinksugar, and do what you do with the Set It Free. Then I think I will make a decision. I don't want to give up on it just yet.... Also, like dusalocks and CurlyInTheFog, sometimes I think it feels producty as well, and the same problem that when washed I my hair it felt tangly and dry! I think maybe I will try using less, also. Sorry, not much help at this point. I always go back to the original AnGel or Arc AnGel as my go to gels (they might be named something different now).
Once upon a time, on a clear moonlit night, I counted all the stars in the sky.
One other thing I've been doing is leaving OneC in. I hope you get better results!