Deva curl gel? Is it worth the money?

• 1 Post By kolochita

I live in Germany and have trouble finding a good, pretty strong gel without silicones for my 3a hair. My curls aren't as strong as they used to be.. So I found deva curl gel ob the German amazon side for 25€ which for me, is really expansive (i am a Student don't judge me so my Problem is that i don't know if its worth the Money because people are Complaining about the cheap "tropical" smell of it.. Please .. What do you guys think???
Around here, Deva is a love/hate line. Many of us start out with it, think we like it and move on to other things we like a lot better. I haven't used Deva products in almost five years. Used to let them use the NoPoo at the salon when I got haircut/highlight, but found it very drying after first ingredient change several years ago.

If you're going to try it, I'd try the sample kit. That way you won't waste a lot of money.

Best way to choose ingredients/products is by hair properties. Here's a link to help with yours Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine your properties, look for others with hair like yours and see what they use. It's the best place to start.

There's a thread about some online stores based in Europe with curly hair products at more reasonable prices, i think it was on the swap board! You could look for gels from more accessible brands that work just as well.
rbb likes this.
Latina

Type: 3a
Dense, fine/medium texture, low porosity

Low-poo: Devacurl No-Poo/ Yes to Carrots Nourishing Shampoo/ Elacel Aloe Vera Shampoo
Conditioner: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Conditioner
Leave-in: Devacurl Set It Free/Lush R& B
Styling: Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray-Gel/ L'Oreal Silk & Gloss Curl Power Mousse
Ecostyler gel is available in Europe, many variants are strong hold silicone free and fairly priced. Also Garnier Fructis Endurance gel is well thought of, that is the UK name but you might find the German equivalent. You should be able to find others: check out Natural Haven she was recently living in the Netherlands but shopping on German Amazon I think. eBay is another good resource if you click 'worldwide'.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
DM has just recently started selling Aussie products, the Aussie instant freeze gel is silicone free, in addition there is one gel from garnier fructis that's also silicone free. Rossman has a "hausmarke" that has many silicone free products ( sorry don't know the name )
For my daughter and me the deva gels where so not worth it! Btw you can get the La Looks gels on amazon.de too.
2c/3a cg 01/10/13

Hair Properties: low( first 4 inches) / high porosity, medium density, fine/medium texture Climate : hot humid summer, coastal GA

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut / Everlasting Sunshine, V05