One overal Product?

• 1 Post By curlicious13
  • 2 Post By jeepcurlygurl

Is there one product that just does it all? I'm type 3a, and don't have a lot of money or time to go out and buy a bunch of products, then spend an hour putting in my hair each morning one by one, is there one product that controls frizz, and holds curl well alone? I'm on the hunt!
Try the Shea moisture curl enhancing style milk. It smells good & my hair loves it.
LitMissSunshine likes this.
Application should not take an hour, it should take maybe five minutes! You really do need a separate conditioner and styler unless you have super healthy hydrated hair, ingredients that hold don't generally reduce friction or patch damaged areas. There are plenty of drugstore products that work for Curly Girls and some do practice conditioner only styling - there is a lengthy thread on it if you run a search.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
Speaking strictly of styling products, if I had to choose only one I would use only gel. It controls frizz and holds the curl. Some cheapie drug store ones are LA Looks Sport or Power Spikes gel, Aussie Instant Freeze, Herbal Essences Set Me Up.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip
If you have a strong enough curl pattern you might could get away with just conditioner only styling, it works quite well for my fiance's 3a/b curls but unfortunately terrible on mine, (my hair is wavy so I need something with hold) He doesnt like to spend a ton of time on his hair at all, but needs to look professional at work. All he does in the shower is Cowash (and lets be honest, he's a typical boy so that's not daily) and then use a rise out condish to detangle and leaves some of that in his hair after rinsing and lets it air dry. If he wants it really defined he'll ask me to style his hair and I do use a little kccc or brhg but even that is only 2 products.

I also second the sm smoothie suggestion, I can use that in my hair by itself and get less defined but pretty waves.
KAT
~Curly, Runner, Self-confessed Nerd~

2a no product/2b-c styled
Low Porosity, Fine
No poo-SM
Co wash-VO5 kiwi lime*
Rinse out- ION EC
Leave in - Giovanni Direct then SM smoothie (ends only)
Stylers-SM souffle topped with BRHG*

Hair hates: glycerin (high dews here in TX)
Hair likes: Coconut Oil*, protein

*=HG
Well I can recommend one product for the shower, and then one styler out of the shower....and they're both cheap. Suave coconut conditioner for co-washing will cleanse, moisturize and bring down frizz for about a buck. Then LA Looks Sports Gel (blue!) is, imho, the best styler out there. Holds curl, tames frizz, adds bounce and shine and rinses out thoroughly, all for about $2 or $3 for a huge bottle. Doesn't take me more than 5 minutes to scrunch it through my wet hair, blot and clip (and you don't have to clip!). I get perfect results almost every time. I don't bother with leave-ins, oils, sealers, heat protectors, etc, etc. Total simplicity for me.
ditto wavywonder. I can happily live with just 2 products - Suave conditioner and LA Looks Sport Gel.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
wavywonder, I've been reading some of your past posts today (your hair looks texture and curl-wise a lot like mine!) and you've been a pretty big champion for mousse in the past. Are you liking the LA Looks more now? I've used and loved both but am undecided about which I really prefer. How much gel do you use to keep from weighing your waves down but still get enough hold?
2B, medium/normal across the board

No HGs yet, but currently toying with:
Lo-Poo: AG Smoooth Argan Shampoo
RO: Matrix Sleek (this is an old formula that somehow--magically--is cone free), AG Smoooth Argan Conditioner
LI: VO5 Silky Experiences Island Coconut, SM C&H Milk
Styling: mineral oil (to seal against humidity), LA Looks Sport Gel, FSG
Are you doing purely CG?
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
I'm going to try the LA Looks when I finish the BRHG I have. I would prefer to stick to inexpensive products. I went to Harmon Discount at lunch today and they had SO many CG-friendly options! I've been liking the Suave Coconut, but I picked up a Tresemme Naturals and a Suave Everlasting Sunshine to try. I'll see what I like best.

I would be very happy with one conditioner for co-wash, rinse-out, and leave-in, and then a gel on top. Maybe I'll try an oil for a sealer. I do want to keep this cheap and simple, as much as possible.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
^ Everlasting Sunshine is another favorite of mine. All Suave Naturals work the same for me so I just buy different ones because I like the various scents.
I'm lucky my hair is such a 'cheap date'. : )
chloe92us and BRoberts0107 like this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
I'm lucky my hair is such a 'cheap date'. : )
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
LoL!! Mine too.
FroZen
If you aren't strictly CG try Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Creme.
Itsjustluc, so sorry I'm only reading your message now because I've been off the boards for awhile due to family issues. But anyway, I'll answer your question and hopefully you're still around to read it! I DO love mousse and actually prefer it for my 2B hair. But the original poster is a 3B, so I took that into consideration when giving my recommendation. I use and love both mousse and LALooks Gel, but my preference tends to be the mousse since my hair is wavy not curly. But for those with truly curly hair, it seems that the preference is gel as mousse doesn't really have enough hold for them.

When I do use LA Looks, I actually use quite a bit...about a palmful for my hair. And I really love how shiny my hair turns out. Mousse tends to give my hair a bit more body, but I do put up with a little more frizz when I use it. Sort of depends on my mood for the day.
For my 4a hair, my best product which activates curls and keep them soft, shiny and moisturizer is Hawaiin Silky Curl Activator. It is CG friendly. It has glycerin but my hair loves it regardless of weather. Plus it is only around $4-6. You may find it at mom and pop hair supply stores or online.
I'd have to say Devacurl One Condition is the one product I use that can do it all. I do, however, wash my hair with No Poo (I hate the name, so imbecilic) and lately, I've been adding Miss Jessie's Pillow Curl to my One Condition leave-in conditioner.
AG re:coil. It's pricey but you need only a tiny amount.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Originally Posted by Chevelure
I just bought Miss Jessie's Pillow Curls and I add water and CK to a quarter size blob and run this through dripping wet hair. Then I plop and diffuse and my hair is really liking this combo.

When I tried the Pillow Curls by itself, I used too much and my hair took a whole day to air dry. I'm not terribly fond of the "fabric softener" scent either. I find it lingers for a looooong time.

I just realized my comment didnt answer the OP's question. If I had to use only one product, I'd at least try the One Condition for a while.
shoulder length inverted bob; fine; 3A-3B; med-thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; seems to hate moisturizing products and oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

receive $10 off 1st order of $40 & up, or $5 off on smaller orders, when using iHERB code: GIK909

Last edited by Ondulee; 07-25-2013 at 01:25 PM.