• 1 Post By Hootenanny
  • 1 Post By IAgal
  • 1 Post By vangrey

Old 06-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #1

Default Kinky Curly Knot Today makes my hair a disaster

I like KCCC but when I put KCKT underneath, my hair becomes a completely flyaway, messy, cottony puff ball. I wonder if this means it is overmoisturized.

Anyone else have this reaction to KCKT? Just wondering.
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Experimenting with cones & sulfates while the dews are high. Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #2

Join Date: Mar 2011

KCKT is a detangler not a conditioner since it contains no oils and very little cationic surfactants or fatty alcohols, not sure if any of the ingredients act as humectants or not. Are you using it instead of your regular leave in conditioner? If so that might be the problem, not what you added but what you subtracted.

Are you considering your hair properties and dew points when you choose products? KCKT is likely far too lightweight for highly porous hair, you probably want something rich. Coconut oil is amazing for reducing porosity in colour treated or damaged hair.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Hootenanny's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012

Curlypearl, my hair doesn't like KCKT either. It was one of the first products I tried and I kept wondering why my hair wasn't looking any better, then I skipped using it one day and my curls improved 100%. As far as I can tell, it was the behentrimonium methosulfate that my hair hated (since I had the same reaction with another product that contained BTMS). It made my hair (and skin) feel coated with a film, in a really unpleasant way, and it made my clumps poof apart into clouds. Glad to know I'm not the only one!
Medium/coarse, low porosity, dense, mix of 3s

Trying out steaming!
Hootenanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #4

Join Date: Jun 2008

Firefox, you are right! My hair is highly porous. I will definitely try the coconut oil instead.

Hootenanny, I'm also glad to know I am not the only one! Like you, my curls poof apart into clouds when I use it - that's the perfect description of what happens to me.

Thank you both for chiming in. No more KCKT for me.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #5

IAgal's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011

kckt just sat on my hair and wouldn't absorb in,i hated the feeling.
IAgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #6

Join Date: Jun 2008

Hi there, IaGal. Haven't seen you in a while.

I've given up on KCKT. For whatever reason, my hair hates it. Oh well, 27580 other products to play with.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #7

vangrey's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006

I developed major buildup with kckt and kccc...
My hair was always frizzy and wiry looking
Updated April 6, 2010

CG Method

Type: 3b
Porous, normal elasticity, and coarse texture

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Styling: CJ, jojoba oil, KCCC
DT: CJ Curl Rehab, CR Algae Deep conditioner
vangrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #8

spiderlashes5000's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2005

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post

I happen to like Knot Today but my hair is very porous and damaged. Maybe I could benefit from coconut oil? How are you using it? I have some at home but use it only for eating. It's been yrs since I experimented with it as a hair dressing.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #9

chloe92us's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but my hair is porous too.

I take about 1 tablespoon or so of coco oil and put in a bowl. Then I take a small amount, like a finger scoop at a time, rub between my palms to liquefy, and rake it through my DRY hair from mid-shaft to ends (I personally avoid my scalp). I do this all over until my hair feels well coated but not slick (I usually don't use it all- so I put what's left on my elbows, heels, and hands, lol).

At this point, my hair looks greasy but isn't "dripping" with oil, it's just coated- like the amount you would use of a leave-in conditioner. I put it in a pineapple, and keep the oil in overnight. In the morning, I use a lot of conditioner to co-wash, and leave it on my hair for a few minutes, then rinse well. Then proceed with the rest of my routine. I have never poo'd it out, only co-wash since I heard it is actually easier to remove with conditioner than shampoo.

This DT makes my hair shiny, softens it, and brings a little life to my curls. I try to do it every couple weeks or so.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Transitioning to gray
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip

Last edited by chloe92us; 07-03-2013 at 12:15 PM.
chloe92us is offline   Reply With Quote