-   -   Disaster: L'Oreal Everstrong Deep Replenishing Masque (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/159992-disaster-loreal-everstrong-deep-replenishing-masque.html)

ButterCurl 07-01-2013 07:51 AM

Disaster: L'Oreal Everstrong Deep Replenishing Masque

I slept with this my hair last night, hoping to add needed moisture, but instead I got dry, straw-like hair which I can't wash away! Is the problem too much protein?

More importantly, what can I do to fix this?

Any suggestions are appreciated. I'm new to CG, and new to my own hair, in a way. I wore a pixie for years because I couldn't handle the curls and only recently grew it out.

TIA.

Firefox7275 07-01-2013 08:07 AM

Welcome! Do you know your hair properties and dew points? What protein have you used? Possible culprits emboldened.

"Water, Cetearyl Alcohol. Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Isopropyl Myristate, Quaternium-80, Parfum/Fragrance, Polysorbate 20, Methylparaben, Polyquaternium-37, Benzyl Benzoate, Mineral Oil, Benzyl Alcohol, Tocopherol, Chlorhexidine, Dihydrochloride, Linalool, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, PPG-1 Tridecth-6, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Coumarin F.I.L. #D38926/2.."

ButterCurl 07-01-2013 08:15 AM

I have 3a color-treated hair, medium porosity. Today's dew point is 66, not much different than yesterday when my hair was very different. It's an inch or two below my shoulders, and falls out A LOT! :(

ButterCurl 07-01-2013 08:19 AM

My usual texture is medium. My usual products are Suave Coconut conditioner, ACV, Guarnier Hydracharge Leave-In & sometimes SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie; but I haven't used anything for very long--I'm very new to this and still struggling.

Firefox7275 07-01-2013 10:54 AM

Do you have any scalp issues? Have you recently switched away from sulphate shampoos? Harsh chemicals can increase shedding in susceptible individuals - permanent dye, harsh shampoos and alkaline soaps for example.

Beneficial ingredients for colour treated hair include coconut oil, hydrolysed protein, ceramides and panthenol. Emollients (fatty alcohols and cationic surfactants) are also important ingredients for helping it maintain hydration, softening and reducing friction - they are your basic conditioning agents. For scalp care there are many beneficial ingredients, but particularly products at pH 4.5 to 5.5, aloe vera inner leaf gel.

I wouldn't use that mask if you are conditioner only washing, neither mineral oil nor cetyl esters are water soluble so it isn't fully Curly Girl friendly; shea butter in the curl enhancing smoothie can also build up although it's probably not the issue if you are not using that regularly.

Your Hydra Charge is not a true leave in conditioner in that it does not contain any fatty alcohols or cationic surfactants. Like your deep conditioner it is humectant heavy, without balance in your routine with occlusives/ sealants (penetrating and natural oils), emollients and proteins porous or damaged hair could very easily dry out.
"Water, Propylene Glycol, Vinylamine/Vinylformamide Copolymer, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Phenoxyethanol, Polyquaternium-4, Parfum/Fragrance, Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate, Hydrox Yethylcellulose, Lactic Acid, Hexyl Cinnamal, Methylisothiazolinone, Benzyl Alcohol, Linalool, Amyl Cinnamal. F.I.L. D55681/2"
Garnier Fructis Hydra Recharge Moisture Whip Leave-In Conditioner for Dry Hair - CVS pharmacy

Overall I think you are not conditioning properly or in a balanced way, humectants without sufficient emollients and occlusives, possibly not enough protein. There are some great articles on ingredients on the Natural Haven blog and here on NC by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay.

AuburnandCurly 07-01-2013 12:39 PM

Try the EverCreme line. It's much better.

ButterCurl 07-01-2013 04:58 PM

Okay, I'm trying to digest about the occlusives and emollients so I can figure out a new product to help. For tonight, would an application of EV coconut oil help?

Thank you for the assistance. How does anybody ever manage this without a science background?? Is curly only for chemists??

Firefox7275 07-03-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ButterCurl (Post 2186481)

Depends on hair properties, coconut oil is great for porous or damaged hair. Might try with a 'lighter' treatment than straight up oil, add some melted oil to a simple conditioner like Suave Naturals, V05, Tresemme Naturals or Inecto and use that. If your hair likes it try a straight oil treatment. Again seek that balance with your ingredients don't leap from one extreme to the other.

I am a biologist not a chemist in fact the only exam I ever failed was my chemistry GCSE age 16! Mostly I know what I know through taking the time out to read, read and read some more. There are some excellent articles, blogs and vlogs by people with a science background aimed at the layman. Check out Tonya McKay's 'curl chemist' articles here on Naturallycurly, the Natural Haven and Swiftcraftymonkey blogs, 'Science of Black Hair' channel and some of Kimmaytube's vlogs both on YouTube. People also use the advanced search function here on CurlTalk or just generally read a lot of threads.

curlylocs232 07-03-2013 10:31 AM

I got the same problem with this product. I put it down to my hair disliking protein (although I don't even know which ingredients are protein or not! It was a wild guess!) I get the same problem if I use tresseme naturals as a leave in. The only way I managed to get my hair back to normal was sulphate washing and starting again, however, I am very impatient. You may want to to try another method if you don't want to use sulphates x

Firefox7275 07-03-2013 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by curlylocs232 (Post 2187023)

No protein in the ingredients list I posted, there is a long list of common haircare ingredients divided into families in an article by 'curl chemist' Tonya McKay on the main NC site.

ButterCurl 07-09-2013 09:12 PM

It's been over a week since that disastrous treatment, and my hair still isn't returned to normal. It looks about the same when dry, and feels okay, but when wet, it still feels somewhat strawlike. I even washed with a sulfate shampoo in an attempt to 'start over,' but no dice.

I love that slippery, soft feeling of my hair in the shower, probably because my hair is usually so dry. I'm frustrated that I can't get that feeling back. :sad8:

curlylocs232 07-11-2013 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ButterCurl (Post 2189216)

Oh no :-(
I'm sorry that my suggestion didn't work. I'm so amateur at this that I don't even know what else to suggest :-(
Thanks Firefox - I told you I was amateur!!! :-D

ButterCurl 07-17-2013 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by curlylocs232 (Post 2189869)

Originally Posted by ButterCurl (Post 2189216)

Oh no :-(
Thanks Firefox - I told you I was amateur!!! :-D

Oh no, Curylocs, your suggestion was helpful--it was the masque that was a bomb! I have gotten my hair back to normal, thankfully! It just took a couple more shampoos, and then I hennaed my hair for the first time, which left my hair thick and soft.

So it's all good, and thanks Curlylocs, for your concern and help. Bad hair makes me freak out a bit.b:mrgreen: