-   -   MopTop Curly Custard (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/160062-moptop-curly-custard.html)

Greatcurls 07-02-2013 07:14 PM

MopTop Curly Custard

On the road (and in the air) again, but I wanted to share my impressions of MopTop's latest styling product, Curly Custard: Wow! and it's a keeper! If you want definition, elongation, and something that's resistant to high humidity, you'll like this.

A little goes a long way, and once in your hair, it slicks out any tangles. And it dries quickly while leaving a shine. If you use too much, just use a little water on it or let the steam from the shower soften your hair. It's water soluble, dries clear, and "plays well" with leave-ins.

suns4i6e 07-10-2013 01:09 PM

I agree with everything Greatcurls said and more. This is a wonderful styler that has knocked my beloved KCCC, that I've been using for years, right off its pedestal.

It has a lovely citrus scent, is absorbed well by hair, provides great definition, hold and shine. I've been out of the pj game for a while, so I'm not sure what current product to which I could compare it but the consistency is thick, slippery and spreadable. Not at all as sticky as KCCC.

My hair is 3C, fine, low porosity, cottony. I like a lot of hold with stylers so I use a moderate amount, and this provides it. For a lighter hold, I'm sure one could just use less. It has stood up to the rainy, humid, high dews in Georgia like a champ.

I have nothing but good things to say about this product in the 3 weeks Iíve been using it exclusively.

Curlsnswirls 07-10-2013 11:14 PM

Oh no... I did not just open this thread :confused1:
Now I have to try this..:shock:

:toothy7:

kathymack 07-11-2013 05:29 AM

I've been trying not to buy more, I have so much! However, this looks really good.

sKorpio1190 07-11-2013 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2189692)

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-

kathymack 07-11-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by sKorpio1190 (Post 2189701)

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2189692)

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-

Just read about it this morning. As of right now, I'm thinking of buying it. I'm not home, so will have to wait until I am.

kathymack 07-25-2013 06:02 AM

Well, I've used it twice. Will have to agree with all the positives! I used it on Friday, don't remember what I used as my li. The dewpoint was in the mid to high 70's. I was doing a craft show on Long Beach Island and had set up Friday night. Was lugging things in from the car--going in and out of air conditioning and outside (you could "cut the air with a knife, it was so 'thick.") I got all sweaty. My hair really held up well, considering what it was like and what I did.

Used it again yesterday. Our dewpoint started out at 70, or so, and dropped slowly throughout the day. Used the MD Peaches & Cream Soft Curl Cream as my li/curl enhancer. My hair looked good all day. Minimal frizz. When I woke up this am, it wasn't bad. If I did second day hair, maybe I would.

FloridaCurly 07-25-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2194218)

Kathymack - since you have tried a lot of products what product does it resemble the most? I LOVE UFDCM (KCCC not so much) so if it is similar I would be game to try it.

kathymack 07-25-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly (Post 2194223)

I'm not sure that I would compare it to anything. It's a great product, that works really well in high dewpoints. I think it should work all year around for me with the right products underneath, but will have to see.

If it was exactly like something else, why would we need it?? I like to have a lot of jelly products in my rotation. It won't replace anything--just be an addition. Am assuming you live in FL, so I think it would be a great product for you to try.

secret_karma 07-25-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2194218)

I wanted to try this during the Curlmart sale but I was concerned with the glycerin in it and it was sold out.

yossarian 07-25-2013 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by kathymack (Post 2194228)

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly (Post 2194223)

Well, I would love to have a product that was exactly like KCCC, but with a better smell :)

Originally Posted by secret_karma (Post 2194254)

Me too! The free shipping almost lured me in, until I remembered 1) glycerin and high dews don't mix and 2) I'm moving soon, so no adding stuff.

I'll lurk on this thread and let you guys be my guinea pigs until after I relocate.

icequeen 07-25-2013 01:12 PM

I'm still experimenting with it but struggling with the hold. Smells great, leaves my hair soft, shiny and frizz free but my spiral curls become beachy waves by the end of the day. 2nd day hair isn't great. I'm on vacation and working with well water and low humidity without my usual arsenal of leave-ins so hoping I can get the hold from it when I'm home. Anyone else with hold problems?

kathymack 07-25-2013 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by icequeen (Post 2194319)

No hold problems for me. But, I rarely have issues with hold.

I think there are always issues when one uses water that isn't the usual. We have a vacation home with a water softener. My hair prefers the water at "home." (3 of 4 hardness level when setting up the espresso machine)

icequeen 07-25-2013 06:13 PM

Will post again next week when I'm back home. I am dealing with a water softener and lots of iron. I'm hoping I can get it to hold because I really like the shine and softness from it.
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?

kathymack 07-26-2013 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by icequeen (Post 2194418)
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?

I never use a lot of any product--except FSG and okra gel. Don't have a lot of hair anymore. I have acrylic nails, so I do a backwards dip of my index finger nail, emulsify and spread on my canopy. Bend over and repeat on my underside. Gently comb through and scrunch (do that for each layer.)

Only put products in to soaking wet hair.

suns4i6e 07-26-2013 12:24 PM

Any reviews on how it works on kinky/coily hair?

I was also concerned with glycerin so high in the ingredient list but I took the plunge anyway and so glad I did. It's been over 5 weeks that I have been using this as my lone styler and I love it. My hair is kinky-curly, so don't fear it only working for less textured hair types. ;-)

secret_karma 07-26-2013 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by suns4i6e (Post 2194597)

Any reviews on how it works on kinky/coily hair?

Thanks! I'm gonna have to try it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App

apollo 07-27-2013 10:20 PM

Tried it and think KCCC is the best for my hair, don't know why I keep trying to find better...

asugirl 08-04-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by apollo (Post 2194953)

How did it work differently than KCCC for you - something in particular you didn't like? Or did you just like KCCC better? (saw your swap post - you got it quick!)

apollo 08-04-2013 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by asugirl (Post 2196894)

Originally Posted by apollo (Post 2194953)

I get more frizz with Moptop. It smells really nice though. I may have to play with it a little more to see if it works better without a leave-in. I used Knot Today under it. Have you tried it yet?

I bought it from the Moptop website. I had it up for swap and I changed my mind. Back up for swap again...