MopTop Curly Custard

On the road (and in the air) again, but I wanted to share my impressions of MopTop's latest styling product, Curly Custard: Wow! and it's a keeper! If you want definition, elongation, and something that's resistant to high humidity, you'll like this.

A little goes a long way, and once in your hair, it slicks out any tangles. And it dries quickly while leaving a shine. If you use too much, just use a little water on it or let the steam from the shower soften your hair. It's water soluble, dries clear, and "plays well" with leave-ins.
GroYoFro likes this.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat:various oils

Shampoo/
Clarifier:various
PT: Gold Medal's Herbal Tame
DT:
Smooth Sexy Hair Sulfate-Free Smoothing Conditioner
LI/Detangler: AG Fast Food/OH Juices and Berries Hair Tonic
Stylers: Lush Zeste Hair Gel, CURLS Blueberry and Passion Fruit Control pastes

*experimenting and loving it!

I agree with everything Greatcurls said and more. This is a wonderful styler that has knocked my beloved KCCC, that I've been using for years, right off its pedestal.

It has a lovely citrus scent, is absorbed well by hair, provides great definition, hold and shine. I've been out of the pj game for a while, so I'm not sure what current product to which I could compare it but the consistency is thick, slippery and spreadable. Not at all as sticky as KCCC.

My hair is 3C, fine, low porosity, cottony. I like a lot of hold with stylers so I use a moderate amount, and this provides it. For a lighter hold, I'm sure one could just use less. It has stood up to the rainy, humid, high dews in Georgia like a champ.

I have nothing but good things to say about this product in the 3 weeks I’ve been using it exclusively.
artemis513 likes this.
Oh no... I did not just open this thread
Now I have to try this..

3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density)
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, Sevi pumpkin poo, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, FSG, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
I've been trying not to buy more, I have so much! However, this looks really good.

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
Originally Posted by sKorpio1190
Just read about it this morning. As of right now, I'm thinking of buying it. I'm not home, so will have to wait until I am.

Well, I've used it twice. Will have to agree with all the positives! I used it on Friday, don't remember what I used as my li. The dewpoint was in the mid to high 70's. I was doing a craft show on Long Beach Island and had set up Friday night. Was lugging things in from the car--going in and out of air conditioning and outside (you could "cut the air with a knife, it was so 'thick.") I got all sweaty. My hair really held up well, considering what it was like and what I did.

Used it again yesterday. Our dewpoint started out at 70, or so, and dropped slowly throughout the day. Used the MD Peaches & Cream Soft Curl Cream as my li/curl enhancer. My hair looked good all day. Minimal frizz. When I woke up this am, it wasn't bad. If I did second day hair, maybe I would.

Originally Posted by kathymack
Kathymack - since you have tried a lot of products what product does it resemble the most? I LOVE UFDCM (KCCC not so much) so if it is similar I would be game to try it.
2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly
I'm not sure that I would compare it to anything. It's a great product, that works really well in high dewpoints. I think it should work all year around for me with the right products underneath, but will have to see.

If it was exactly like something else, why would we need it?? I like to have a lot of jelly products in my rotation. It won't replace anything--just be an addition. Am assuming you live in FL, so I think it would be a great product for you to try.

Originally Posted by kathymack
I wanted to try this during the Curlmart sale but I was concerned with the glycerin in it and it was sold out.

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly

Originally Posted by kathymack
Well, I would love to have a product that was exactly like KCCC, but with a better smell

Originally Posted by secret_karma
Me too! The free shipping almost lured me in, until I remembered 1) glycerin and high dews don't mix and 2) I'm moving soon, so no adding stuff.

I'll lurk on this thread and let you guys be my guinea pigs until after I relocate.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
I'm still experimenting with it but struggling with the hold. Smells great, leaves my hair soft, shiny and frizz free but my spiral curls become beachy waves by the end of the day. 2nd day hair isn't great. I'm on vacation and working with well water and low humidity without my usual arsenal of leave-ins so hoping I can get the hold from it when I'm home. Anyone else with hold problems?
3a Colored, Layered
Currently loving:
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
Originally Posted by icequeen
No hold problems for me. But, I rarely have issues with hold.

I think there are always issues when one uses water that isn't the usual. We have a vacation home with a water softener. My hair prefers the water at "home." (3 of 4 hardness level when setting up the espresso machine)

Will post again next week when I'm back home. I am dealing with a water softener and lots of iron. I'm hoping I can get it to hold because I really like the shine and softness from it.
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?
3a Colored, Layered
Currently loving:
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?
Originally Posted by icequeen
I never use a lot of any product--except FSG and okra gel. Don't have a lot of hair anymore. I have acrylic nails, so I do a backwards dip of my index finger nail, emulsify and spread on my canopy. Bend over and repeat on my underside. Gently comb through and scrunch (do that for each layer.)

Only put products in to soaking wet hair.

Originally Posted by secret_karma
I was also concerned with glycerin so high in the ingredient list but I took the plunge anyway and so glad I did. It's been over 5 weeks that I have been using this as my lone styler and I love it. My hair is kinky-curly, so don't fear it only working for less textured hair types.

Originally Posted by suns4i6e
Thanks! I'm gonna have to try it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
Tried it and think KCCC is the best for my hair, don't know why I keep trying to find better...
3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.

Last edited by apollo; 08-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Originally Posted by apollo
How did it work differently than KCCC for you - something in particular you didn't like? Or did you just like KCCC better? (saw your swap post - you got it quick!)
Originally Posted by apollo
Originally Posted by asugirl
I get more frizz with Moptop. It smells really nice though. I may have to play with it a little more to see if it works better without a leave-in. I used Knot Today under it. Have you tried it yet?

I bought it from the Moptop website. I had it up for swap and I changed my mind. Back up for swap again...
3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.

Last edited by apollo; 08-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.