Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #1

Join Date: Aug 2008
Talking MopTop Curly Custard

On the road (and in the air) again, but I wanted to share my impressions of MopTop's latest styling product, Curly Custard: Wow! and it's a keeper! If you want definition, elongation, and something that's resistant to high humidity, you'll like this.

A little goes a long way, and once in your hair, it slicks out any tangles. And it dries quickly while leaving a shine. If you use too much, just use a little water on it or let the steam from the shower soften your hair. It's water soluble, dries clear, and "plays well" with leave-ins.
GroYoFro likes this.
Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
SPRING REGIMEN-This list is not exhaustive...
Pre-treat: coconut oil
Clarifier:
hiatus for now
Cowash: HE The Sleeker The Butter, HE NOYF w/Mandarin
PT: hiatus for now/DT:Redken Diamond Oil Deep Facets, Living Proof PHD
LI/Detangler: CK Satin Roots, Nu-Gro Leave-in
Oils: tamanu/Moisturizers: various
Stylers: CK Curl Factor, AH Cupuacu & Burdock Sweet Hair Pudding

*experimenting and loving it!

Greatcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #2

suns4i6e's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via AIM to suns4i6e Send a message via Yahoo to suns4i6e

I agree with everything Greatcurls said and more. This is a wonderful styler that has knocked my beloved KCCC, that I've been using for years, right off its pedestal.

It has a lovely citrus scent, is absorbed well by hair, provides great definition, hold and shine. I've been out of the pj game for a while, so I'm not sure what current product to which I could compare it but the consistency is thick, slippery and spreadable. Not at all as sticky as KCCC.

My hair is 3C, fine, low porosity, cottony. I like a lot of hold with stylers so I use a moderate amount, and this provides it. For a lighter hold, I'm sure one could just use less. It has stood up to the rainy, humid, high dews in Georgia like a champ.

I have nothing but good things to say about this product in the 3 weeks Iíve been using it exclusively.
artemis513 likes this.
suns4i6e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #3

Join Date: Apr 2012

Oh no... I did not just open this thread
Now I have to try this..

3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #4

Join Date: Jan 2008

I've been trying not to buy more, I have so much! However, this looks really good.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
Old 07-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

sKorpio1190's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011

Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
Medium texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
sKorpio1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

Originally Posted by sKorpio1190 View Post
Do you have any samples?

-normal porosity/texture/elasticity-
Just read about it this morning. As of right now, I'm thinking of buying it. I'm not home, so will have to wait until I am.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #7

Join Date: Jan 2008

Well, I've used it twice. Will have to agree with all the positives! I used it on Friday, don't remember what I used as my li. The dewpoint was in the mid to high 70's. I was doing a craft show on Long Beach Island and had set up Friday night. Was lugging things in from the car--going in and out of air conditioning and outside (you could "cut the air with a knife, it was so 'thick.") I got all sweaty. My hair really held up well, considering what it was like and what I did.

Used it again yesterday. Our dewpoint started out at 70, or so, and dropped slowly throughout the day. Used the MD Peaches & Cream Soft Curl Cream as my li/curl enhancer. My hair looked good all day. Minimal frizz. When I woke up this am, it wasn't bad. If I did second day hair, maybe I would.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #8

Join Date: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

Kathymack - since you have tried a lot of products what product does it resemble the most? I LOVE UFDCM (KCCC not so much) so if it is similar I would be game to try it.
2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate
FloridaCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #9

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly View Post

I'm not sure that I would compare it to anything. It's a great product, that works really well in high dewpoints. I think it should work all year around for me with the right products underneath, but will have to see.

If it was exactly like something else, why would we need it?? I like to have a lot of jelly products in my rotation. It won't replace anything--just be an addition. Am assuming you live in FL, so I think it would be a great product for you to try.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

secret_karma's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by kathymack View Post

I wanted to try this during the Curlmart sale but I was concerned with the glycerin in it and it was sold out.

secret_karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #11

Join Date: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by FloridaCurly View Post

Well, I would love to have a product that was exactly like KCCC, but with a better smell

Originally Posted by secret_karma View Post
Me too! The free shipping almost lured me in, until I remembered 1) glycerin and high dews don't mix and 2) I'm moving soon, so no adding stuff.

I'll lurk on this thread and let you guys be my guinea pigs until after I relocate.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
PT: SSI Okra; CJ Repair Me; BASK Whiskey Soak
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #12

Join Date: Nov 2004

I'm still experimenting with it but struggling with the hold. Smells great, leaves my hair soft, shiny and frizz free but my spiral curls become beachy waves by the end of the day. 2nd day hair isn't great. I'm on vacation and working with well water and low humidity without my usual arsenal of leave-ins so hoping I can get the hold from it when I'm home. Anyone else with hold problems?
3a Colored, Layered
Currently loving:
Cond: CJ Strengthing, Marie Dean, CJ Curl Rehab
Leave -In: Marie Dean Red Clover, Coconut Lime Detangler and just about the entire line, CJ Rehab
Gelly: UFDCM, Paul Brown Geletine Goo
Towel - HG - Curls Like Us

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
icequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

Originally Posted by icequeen View Post
No hold problems for me. But, I rarely have issues with hold.

I think there are always issues when one uses water that isn't the usual. We have a vacation home with a water softener. My hair prefers the water at "home." (3 of 4 hardness level when setting up the espresso machine)

Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #14

Join Date: Nov 2004

Will post again next week when I'm back home. I am dealing with a water softener and lots of iron. I'm hoping I can get it to hold because I really like the shine and softness from it.
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?
3a Colored, Layered

Always use the "Icequeen" method for products
icequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #15

Originally Posted by icequeen View Post
How much are you using? On towel dried hair or wet?
I never use a lot of any product--except FSG and okra gel. Don't have a lot of hair anymore. I have acrylic nails, so I do a backwards dip of my index finger nail, emulsify and spread on my canopy. Bend over and repeat on my underside. Gently comb through and scrunch (do that for each layer.)

Only put products in to soaking wet hair.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #16

suns4i6e's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Send a message via AIM to suns4i6e Send a message via Yahoo to suns4i6e

Any reviews on how it works on kinky/coily hair?
I was also concerned with glycerin so high in the ingredient list but I took the plunge anyway and so glad I did. It's been over 5 weeks that I have been using this as my lone styler and I love it. My hair is kinky-curly, so don't fear it only working for less textured hair types.
suns4i6e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #17

secret_karma's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by suns4i6e View Post

Any reviews on how it works on kinky/coily hair?
Thanks! I'm gonna have to try it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
secret_karma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

apollo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

Tried it and think KCCC is the best for my hair, don't know why I keep trying to find better...
3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.

Last edited by apollo; 08-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #19

asugirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by apollo View Post
How did it work differently than KCCC for you - something in particular you didn't like? Or did you just like KCCC better? (saw your swap post - you got it quick!)
asugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #20

apollo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by asugirl View Post
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
I get more frizz with Moptop. It smells really nice though. I may have to play with it a little more to see if it works better without a leave-in. I used Knot Today under it. Have you tried it yet?

I bought it from the Moptop website. I had it up for swap and I changed my mind. Back up for swap again...
3C curly/wavy/kinky hair.

Last edited by apollo; 08-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
apollo is offline   Reply With Quote