Three Strikes and you're out for NEW Tresemme Naturals formulation

• 1 Post By Samanthascurlz
  • 1 Post By Beebop
  • 1 Post By hambo02
  • 1 Post By anonymous_133347

I'm sad. Tresemme Naturals used to be an HG for me because it was cheap, slippy, and good quality but the new formulation now:

A) Is tested on animals, which I know doesn't matter to most but it matters to me personally.
B) Includes the preservative methylisothiazolinone which gives me dry scalp so in using it I'd have to keep it off the crown. I know it no longer has isopropyl alcohol but that ingredient in the old formulation never gave me ANY trouble to begin with. Much rather have it than this. It also contains DMDM hydantoin which is a formaldehyde releaser and err, questionable.
C) No longer has organic ingredients. Okay, that actually doesn't matter to me that much really since regulation here in the states and what gets classified as "oraganic" is topsy turvy anyways. But I'm sad about the other two factors. I do appreciate that they moved the natural ingredients like aloe vera and avocado oil further up the ingredient list (as they used to be at the very end) but that's not necessarily a good thing performance wise.

Has anybody here tried it so they can compare the consistency or the slip? I can't but I'm curious.

So the bright side is I've been getting into Yes to Blueberries. It's good stuff. It's just not as cheap as Tresemme Naturals was. . .

One other fun fact when I was reading the bottle, when it claims to make your hair up to 10 times stronger, there's an asterisk denoting that claim comes from a combing contest between a person (or animal haha) who used shampoo and no conditioner and another who used shampoo followed by Tresemme Naturals.

Poos: SM Moisture Retention + Yucca Baobab, TJ's Tea Tree Tingle
Condish: TJ 'sTea Tree Tingle*, SM Moisture Retention* + Curl & Shine + Yucca Baobab, Yes to Blueberries
Stylers: KCKT*, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie* + Curl & Style Milk*, KCCC*, FSG*, CJ Pattern Pusha, Curl Keeper

* = HG

Last edited by dusalocks; 07-21-2013 at 01:50 PM.
yeah i kinda wanna know if anyone really notices a different too between the old one and the new one. I've been wanting to buy a new bottle but im kinda nervous. I noticed the new bottles where I live are cheaper priced too
Unfortunately I can't compare it to the past TN, but so far I really love this new one. I do like how it's a cheaper and better detangler (that is all I use it for). Sorry I can't compare to the last formulation which makes my opinion quite irrelevant. I do appreciate your information though!
High Porosity, Fine, Thin Density, Low Elasticity
Co-wash, leave in, and gel: Alba botanica coconut cond., ogx mousse, &/or super wet look gel.
Curls
I have both the old and the new and just started using the new formula a week ago and I don't notice a difference in performance at all.

I wasn't thrilled when I read about the new formula either since I try to use mostly natural products as well and steer away from the two "M" preservatives as well as the DMDM one.

It seems to work exactly the same for me....I've tried the yes to Carrots as well as the Cucumber but not the Blueberry. The scent doesn't last as long in my hair with any of the Yes to products as it does with the TN and the dead sea water or salt seems to give me a little frizz since my hair is very sensitive to salts.

A couple other products that seem to work just as good as the TN is the Desert essence italian red grape shampoo & conditioner and the Acure argan oil shampoo and conditioner, but they are about 8.99 each for 8oz. tubes, so not as good of a value.

maybe we should all email Tresemme and voice our concerns and see if it gets us anywhere, although I know it didn't help with Garnier when they changed the formula of triple nutrition several of us tried.
dusalocks likes this.
Curly in AZ-2c-3a/Cherub/fine-med. texture/high porosity/normal elasticity/highlighted
Wash-Giovanni 3-in1 tropical, Everyday shea vanilla mint, Desert essence italian red grape & coconut
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Stylers-Bioterra gel, condition 3-in-1 mousse, AOMM with Shaper hairspray for extra hold.
im shocked they didnt add a cone in them like they seem to do with every new formula they come out with. I think there should be more cone free conditioners other then v05 and suave and really pricey natural food store ones.
dusalocks likes this.
thats's so true! if they had added a cone I couldn't use it at all since cones make my curls fall flat!
Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz
No opinion is irrelevant. I also used mine for detangling. I'm still bummed about it. I went through quite a lot of TN and YT products are more expensive, but I may tried the Desert Essence or Acure conditioners too. . .

Beebop, I think there's no salt in the YTB. Lemme double check. Yup, no salts. I've never tried salts in my hair but I have dry hair naturally (coarse, highly porous, my scalp produces NO sebum) so I'm pretty sure my hair would be sensitive as well.

YTB ingredients:

"Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides, Lupine Amino Acids, Fragrance (Parfum)**, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil*, Ipomoea Batatas Root Lees Extract, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid."

Scent doesn't last long with this one either but I don't mind. It smells nice while I'm washing it and all of my styling products smell amazing anyways.
Samanthascurlz likes this.

* = HG

I personally don't notice a difference between the old & new formulations, performance wise. I hate the pump bottle tho. I put the cap from my old bottle on my new one.
fine, thin, normal/(low?) porosity. Mod-CG. Usually I can't co-wash more than 1x a week, & sometimes I have to use T-Gel in rotation due to scalp issues.

Co-wash: VO5 Volumizing
Poo: Giovanni 50:50
RO:TN, Nexxus Youth Renewal, Alba Coconut
LI: KCKT
PT: gelatin PT, ION EC
Stylers: Giovanni mousse, TIGI Curls Rock amplifier (a-cone), Curls Rock Strong Hold Mousse
Gels: SCC spray gel

Dusalocks:Thanks for posting the ingredients, does the blueberry have a lot of slip like the TN and seem to moisturize your curls or is it heavy and weigh them down? I know you said your hair is course and mine is actually fine but a lot of it. Also what does it smell like?
The Desert essence coconut shampoo is great but the conditioner was too moisturizing for my hair and pulled out the curl, might be perfect for yours but like I said the grape was good. The other YT products worked great for me and increased my curl but made it frizzy because of the dead sea salt, so its nice to know the Blueberry doesn't have salts, I may have to try that since I prefer natural products but hate the price tag and the YT products aren't bad for the amount you get.

lcl0706: funny you mentioned the pumps....I hate the new pumps as well because they are so flimsy, so I had two old bottles of Tresemme in my garage I used to wash my dogs with and the pumps were thicker and more hefty so I use those instead.
Leave In- Conditioner pea size

Last edited by Beebop; 07-25-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Sorry for the delay. Forgot to check this thread. So I'd give TN an 8 on the slip scale and YTB a 7. But then I needed A LOT of TN for slip so maybe it evens out. To me the YTB isn't heavy at all but then again, I am coarse. (Fellow user Jessiebanana who is fine and low porosity said it was too heavy for her.) To me YTB smells more sweet than floral. Kind of like a lemon cookie with a hint of clove. I think they sell Desert Essence at Whole Foods. I may look into the coconut conditioner then once I run out of one of my Shea Moisture ones. It's unlikely to be too moisturizing for me since my hair is naturally dry. If anyone else has tried YTB with properties other than mine please help beebop out.

* = HG

Thanks dusalocks! i'll have to give YTB a try next time I'm at Target.
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
I don't know what's going on with TN but I just picked up a new bottle at Walmart with the black pump top and the ingredients are the same as the old green top bottles. However, the bottles I've seen at Target have a plain black top with the ingredient change. I'm happy I found the old formulation but this is so confusing for consumers.
rite aid still has alot of the old bottles yet.
Originally Posted by mimismom

I'm still new to CG stuff, and I had seen Tresemme Naturals mentioned enough that I figured I should try it out myself. Somehow I hadn't come across the posts from people who were upset about a new formulation...

So anyway, I just went to my local Walmart and bought a bottle (yesterday on 9/14/13) and I brought it home to double check and see if it was the right one. It was the right stuff (silicone-free moisturizing Tresemme Naturals) but I was dissapointed to see that so many people were mentioning a recent formula change and that it wasn't good. However, when I read the mention of methylisothiazolinone I had to look at my bottle... Mine doesn't have that at all. In fact, it has very few ingredients total, and none that seem too scary. I'm not sure about animal testing, though. I don't suppose I pay as much attention to that factor as I should.

My bottle also had the pump (which is why I chose it over the other silicone-free conditioner they had available) so it makes me think that it's newer... But I'm guessing the formulation is the older one. Perhaps they decided that the new formulation wasn't going well, and now they are making the older formula again? Or maybe my store just has really old bottles. Did any of the old ones come with a salon pump? I paid $4-something (close to $5) for my bottle. The kind I chose had less ounces than the other Tresemme Naturals conditioners which were only around $3.50, though the cheaper ones all had -cones in them.
Originally Posted by mimismom

Originally Posted by Isme
yes, you may have gotten one of the old formulas that are still left on the shelf since I've noticed a few as well unless they decided to change it back again, so we'll see how the future goes. I don't notice any difference and it's still HG for me and I've tried so many different conditioners and always come back to this. The Naturals do come in slightly smaller bottles than the other conditioners by Tresemme.
Leave In- Conditioner pea size
Have not seen this thread before, I'm not sure Tresemme here has been reformulated, certainly not seen any new bottles or anything. What I didn't know was that Alberto had been bought out by Unilever, I thought I was buying cruelty-free. My hairspray's VO5, same situation. I feel like swearing right about now. It's like Body Shop being bought out by L'Oreal. Pees me off no end.
Sorry, end of mini rant!
3b in South Australia.
Can't comment on the conditioner since I have yet to try that one, but where pump bottles are concerned I adore my old Aussie Moist bottles. I actually just refill them with whatever products I'm using. I've had mine for close to a year. They dispense a ton of product with a full pump, are easy to get less if you need by only pumping part way, and the bottles are very large and stable with the square base. Considering they are only $3-5 it may be worth it even if you don't want the actual product inside.