I could use help understanding CJ Aloe Fix!

So, I just got some Aloe Fix in a swap and tried it for the first time today. I have a few questions I'd be delighted if folks who use the product could answer for me:

1) What's up with the smell? Funky . . . but not awful.

2) How do you use it?

I used CJ CCCCL as a LI, then worked a smallish amount of Aloe Fix through my hair, then plopped for a few minutes, released the curls, and set with clips to air dry. The AF felt *super* weird in my hair (like, drying and crunchy?), but once the hair was dry, it felt very soft. Also, though, my hair was the opposite of clumpy -- kind of, slightly less curly than usual, very soft, and BIG . . . though not in a bad way? This isn't the way I usually wear my hair, but I see the merits of it.

I'd be curious what kinds of results others are getting with this stuff, esp. if you have hair properties like mine. I do great with almost every CJ thing I've tried, so assuming I just have a learning curve to climb here.
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)
i love aloe fix in the mid dew points! it makes my hair so curly, gives it volume, shine.
be careful about using it with cccc as both have glycerin high on the list. it is so moisturizing i mostly use it without a leave in, but if i do use one, say in like 50s dews, i use either beauticurls leave in or just a tiny bit of curl rehab. both work great.
because of the glycerin it does not work for me in low dews, so i shelve it for the winter. in higher dews you might be able to use it with no leave in and a sealant.
it's great stuff, just have to understand the glycerin. and the fact that a gel is so moisturizing. btw, i LOVE the smell! at any rate, it's a light scent that dissipates as your hair dries.
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
The scent reminds me of lemon pledge and I love it.

I use it with the CJ Hibiscus and Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, especially in the winter. Sometimes I will use that leave-in in the summer and not care about the frizzies, but in the summer I try to use a lighter, water-y leave-in. I apply by scrunching it (NO RAKING FOR ME, leaves me stringy) into SOAKING wet hair. The water seems to react with the Aloe Fix and it becomes almost gummy or rubbery in my hair, and the water drips out. I use about three fingers (the ends of my fingers) full for each section. I do front, each side, and back, sometimes the top as well. I sometimes put a hard hold gel over top, but my curl pattern is not very strong.

I like it because it clumps my hair together when I do it this way. I get big, moisturized curls and waves and they stay like that all day. My hair isn't really weighed down by products, so you should take that into account if you have that problem.
2bc3a
DT: CJCR
PT:CJRM

love oils, avocado and castor oil are my favorite

Iherb discount code TSW857
romigjam -- where do you live that you can use aloe fix in winter? interestingly, i do use the hibiscus leave in during dew points that are low, but not very low, like say 20-40. it also has glycerin near top of the list, but it does have honey right below it, so.... in those dew points my hair loves it.

do you seal?

how low do your dew points go and how high? i use aloe fix with dew points at 40 - 60, low 60s, and it works perfectly, but not above or below.

do you seal?

Originally Posted by rbb
I live in Michigan, in the center of the state, "where the weather's made up and the forecasts don't matter" kinda state. From WeatherSpark, it says my area average low and high dews are 9 and 66, record low and high being -8 and 74 (Not sure if that's accurate, but I don't pay attention enough to give my own estimate). Although I bet that's changed after this recent crazy awesome weather. Lake Michigan was so warm this weekend that I could have swam in it for hours. I almost did too.

Because Michigan is so unpredictable, I just go with what I'm feeling like that day, and if I get frizzies on the top, I just live with it. The majority of my hair comes out so pretty I don't mind a little halo.

I am currently experimenting with sealing, but I have a feeling that because my regular products have oils in them, that it kind of seals my hair already? The Hibiscus leave-in has around 8 if you count the butters. Aloe fix has 5 oils that I've seen at a glance. Generally, when I pay attention to dew points and use products accordingly, my hair has no frizz, but it is less curly. When I just go for gold and use glycerin, the majority of my hair is curlier, but I will probably get canopy frizz. Although I can't stop touching my hair sometimes, that might also be it.
2bc3a
DT: CJCR
PT:CJRM

love oils, avocado and castor oil are my favorite

Iherb discount code TSW857
Rbb, thanks as ever for your good advice! I do need to use it without a LI under. What I get is bigger, floofier curls than usual -- but that's a fun change! Definitely liking this stuff better, and even getting used to the furniture polish smell!
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)
maggie -- glad it's working for you. i play around with it depending on dew points -- 40s i usually add a little leave in, low 60s i seal it. trying to stretch using it as it works so well in my hair.