-   -   Yes to Blueberries Conditioner (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/161438-yes-blueberries-conditioner.html)

anonymous_133347 08-08-2013 10:55 PM

Yes to Blueberries Conditioner

I wrote a middling review about YTB before on the new formulation of the Tresemme Naturals thread I started a few weeks ago but I decided to come back here and take it all back. YTB is better. True, it doesn't smell as pleasant. YTB smells kind of like a lemon cookie with clove while TN smells fresh and clean. But the slip with YTB is, effectively, better. I know because my hair has taken a tangle free turn, my friends. It's really easy to finger detangle with YTB. I don't need nearly as much conditioner as TN so I think the difference in price works out. If you're not picky about scents and into slip, I'd recommend it. It's also just as moisturizing, I feel. It leaves my hair equally silky. (Although I will say I prefer it as a rinse out and detangler rather than a leave in. My Shea moisture and KCKT products are better leave ins for me, even though YTB works perfectly fine.) At first I didn't think there was that much of a difference but, like I said, there's been so much less tanglage as of late I know YTB is doing me right. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised. I love blueberries. . . Man and I remember eying the YTB bottle ages ago. Should've just bought the darn thing earlier.

CurlyJedi 08-09-2013 09:35 AM

I also am making the switch from TN to YTB. I still like using TN for a deeper conditioning, but YTB is my new go-to rinse-out conditioner.

WurlyLox 08-09-2013 09:48 AM

How is different from YT carrots or cucumbers? Don't remember seeing blueberry at Walgreen's, which is primarily where I've seen YT products.

CurlyJedi 08-09-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by WurlyLox (Post 2198186)

The YTB is labeled as a Hair Repair conditioner...I got it at Target.

anonymous_133347 08-10-2013 02:13 PM

I like to mix my conditioners, Curly Jedi, and I find mixing YTB with SM Restorative Conditioner cancels out SM's lack of slip and gives me extra moisture. Mixing YTB with my TJTTT gives me mega slip, and just YTB by itself totally gets the job done. Glad you're digging it too.

For others, here are the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides, Lupine Amino Acids, Fragrance (Parfum)**, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Daucus Carota Sativa (Carrot) Seed Oil*, Ipomoea Batatas Root Lees Extract, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Trimethylolpropane Tricaprylate/Tricaprate, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbic Acid.

I think it differs from the other conditioners in that it doesn't contain any salts and the others don't have amino acids. Correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't tried the other formulations and probably won't so long as they contain salts.

WurlyLox 08-12-2013 01:56 PM

Whatever's in the Dead Sea salts in YT Carrots, my hair likes it. I've been using Elucence most of the time lately and haven't used YTC in a while. Used it this morning and my hair did great today!

Will have to look for YTB!

Korkscrew 08-12-2013 03:26 PM

Thanks for the review Dusa. I've been wondering about Blueberries. Glad it's working for you :) I have yet to try it. I often use YTC these days, which my hair likes a lot. Like WurlyLox, my hair seems to like the Dead Sea salt in it.

The thing that concerns me about Blueberries is the glycerin. But I see it's at the bottom of the ingredients list, so maybe it's still worth a try ... especially since you're saying it's just as moisturizing for you as YTC. Though I'm not concerned with slip, I'm looking to keep hydrated these days, post-henna.

anonymous_133347 08-12-2013 05:52 PM

Korkscrew and wirlylox, are either of you prone to overly dry hair? My hair dries up like a sere ole desert which is why I'm afraid of the dead sea salts in the first place. But maybe it's irrational. I mean, I like YTB so I'd like to try more of the Yes To Line. Oh, and I prefer hydration over slip too. Especially since I let the conditioner sit in my hair from 5-10 minutes regardless. But slip is always a plus for finger detangling, and YTB has it. :)

Korkscrew 08-12-2013 07:27 PM

Well mostly my hair tends to be soft, but I screwed up recently by using a hellish henna concoction. So now I'm trying to condition well to maintain a proper moisture balance. Here's how I've been using YTC to aim for that moisture balance and to counteract possible drying from the sea salt it contains:

After co-washing or shampooing, I first finger-comb w/Biolage Conditioning Balm. I let the balm sit in my hair for about five minutes. Then I rinse that out and apply the YTC. Lately I've been following all that up w/homemade FSG to further lock in moisture.

But I understand how expensive the balm is, and that it adds an extra step to the routine. Sally's does have a Biolage balm knock-off though which is just a fraction of the price.

WurlyLox 08-13-2013 10:13 AM

No, mine isn't especially dry, but, for example, Recoil's magnesium sulfate (a salt) has caused me some dryness if I used it too often. No similar problems at all w/YT Carrots conditioner.

Maybe all the trace elements in natural Dead Sea salt are beneficial enough to counteract the otherwise drying properties of most salt.

Korkscrew 08-13-2013 12:46 PM

Could be. If I were to guess, I'd say YTC was created w/the intention of encouraging good curl retention with the salt, while counterbalancing the salt w/the conditioning ingredients.

anonymous_133347 08-15-2013 05:27 PM

I so want to try the GVPCB but I won't until they reformulate it without parabens. But I hear it's outstanding.

You ladies have convinced me. Next time at Walgreens I'm gonna give YTC a try. You're absolutely right it's all about the formulation. If the moisture's in check then I shouldn't have to worry about those salts too much. . .

Samanthascurlz 08-15-2013 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2199083)

How do you like the Biolage? I am so curious and might want to try the GVP version.

Samanthascurlz 08-15-2013 08:19 PM

I use YTC since the main detangling agents (Behentrimonium Chloride and Cetearyl Alcohol) are identical to OC which is an amazing detangler. I was able to cut the cost more than half by switching to YTC. But now, you make me want to get YTB! My hair gets very dry, so thank you Dusa! I will definitely be considering this!

BTW, Yes to lip balm is awesome too! It leaves my lips soft even after the balm wears off. ALSO, Yes To cucumbers makes an amazing face lotion. It gives that sort of cooling feel, but a little goes a long way too, so even though it seems it's in a small bottle, it lasts a long time! It doesn't leave a greasy feeling since it doesn't contain mineral oil or petrolatum like most main stream face lotions contain.

Korkscrew 08-16-2013 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2199083)

I really, really like it :) It really helped me re-moisturize after my serious OD on protein. At first I DCed w/it by leaving it on for 30 min.s in a plastic cap, sitting under a hair dryer. Once my hair recovered more, I started using it as a RO, after letting it first sit on my hair for about 5-10 min.s.

Only thing is, I can see how using it too often could cause the opposite problem: over-conditioning. So I'm using it less often now, unless I'm using YTC as a LI. In that case I use Biolage as a RO first, to counter-act the drying salt in the YTC ;)

SpiralSpunk 08-18-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2200132)

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2199083)

I saw this thread earlier and picked up some Biolage and Yes To Blueberries. I love SMMoisture Retention, but it doesn't have enough slip for me, so I'll try mixing it with YTB. Hopefully using the Biolage at least weekly will counteract the amino acids in YTB.

Korkscrew 08-18-2013 01:52 PM

Please let us know how that works for you ;)

anonymous_133347 08-18-2013 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz (Post 2200068)

Sorry, I clearly like Yes to products! lol Thank you Dusa! haha

Samantha, are you using YTCarrots or Cucumbers for the slip? I'm gonna go pick it up today.

Samanthascurlz 08-18-2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by dusalocks (Post 2200840)

Originally Posted by Samanthascurlz (Post 2200068)

Sorry, I clearly like Yes to products! lol Thank you Dusa! haha

Ok, just got YTB. Hair is currently drying. I already liked the way my hair felt with the YTB compared to YTCarr. bc it was more soft and not as hard. But the real test is when it's dry.

I enjoy the slip of YTCarr, a lot. I do find that the slip in YTB is excellent as well. I almost prefer, but I don't want to talk to soon. Using YTCarr as a leave-in is definitely a no-no for me, but thank you ladies for clearing it up as to why it isn't a good leave in for me. So far, I am liking the YTB so either way, thank you DUSA!!!!!!!!

Samanthascurlz 08-18-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2200132)

Originally Posted by Korkscrew (Post 2199083)

Wow, thank you for clearing up why my hair felt so dry after using YTCarr. as a leave-in. I did not take in the drying salt! I just had an "AHA" moment lol. I will definitely be looking into the Biolage and taking in your advice on the usage as well. Thanks!