Advice on Natural, Affordable Styling products for 2c hair

• 1 Post By chloe92us

So I am new to this site, and new to the idea of switching to products that are not only more natural, but also affordable. I have already decided that I would like to go the low-poo route and found a product that I think will work.

However, I am having a hard time finding a product to style my daily hair. I use Garnier curl construct mouse currently but I would like to get away from the unnatural ingredients in it. I do like how it makes my hair look for the most part, but I think it could improve.

Does anyone have any products that they use? Also, this is what my hair typically looks like:

For stylers, look at making flax seed or okra gel at home. Nothing more natural, or cheap, as that! And....they are miracle workers. I have to top them with another gel, though, some people use them alone.

One of my only natural hard hold gels is by Max Green Alchemy. It's not cheap, but it works really well. I lucked out and found it at TJMaxx! Others are Giovanni LA gel, Kiss My Face Upper Management, and the Aubrey organics B5 gel. Haven't tried them though.

Kinky curly custard is natural and readily available, but is on the expensive side.
wavydaze likes this.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Salt & Pepper
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip

Last edited by chloe92us; 08-13-2013 at 12:14 PM.
The gels I like are Softee olive oil gel & aloe Vera gel by soft and free.
I'm scared of DIY anything after my 1 fiasco. It was terrible.
I'm scared of DIY anything after my 1 fiasco. It was terrible.
Originally Posted by curlicious13
What was that? Seriously flax seed gel is easy. Or you can get it from Sweet Curls Elixir in FB (soon to have an etsy store).
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
I 2nd FSG! Seriously, out of all the products I've tried so, FSG is still one of the BEST things I've put in my hair. It's a gelly-gel so it won't weigh your hair down and has a product-less feel. All natural and cheap. And it's not a humectant, which means you can use it in high dews. I love gelly-gels (film-former gels) but most of the storebought ones are aloe or glycerin based (KCCC, UFD CM, DM Miracurls, EO Tame gel etc.), meaning I can't use them in high dews unless I top them off with hard hold gels. FSG is customizable and will work with all hair properties.

Still haven't tried okra but I'm sure will be worthwhile.

Unfortunately, the all-natural purchasable styling products are going to not be the cheapest as the ingredients themselves are often more expensive. The DIY route will be the best way to go all-natural and cheap.

You can look into conditioner-only styling. That's definitely easy on the wallet and you can use a mostly-natural conditioner. iherb.com has good prices on natural products; free shipping on orders over $40 & discount codes (check my siggie).

I think your hair is more 2b with some 2a bits, but it doesn't matter that much. Figuring out your hair properties and knowing your dew points will save you money as it will help you narrow down your selection. Check out the Live Curly Live Free Basics website.
fine - low/normal porosity - medium density - normal elasticity.

Cowash: Cure Care diluted with water 1:1
RO: Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: no guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, gelatin gel

Recent findings: my hair likes Cure Care diluted with water as a cowash; does NOT like guar h.c.!

iherb discount code: CFN646
I agree with the 2a/2b assessment
2b/2c, Med density, Med Porosity, Fine/Med width, Med length, layers start below ears. Just my shot in the dark for my hair properties. Growing out bleached highlights Fall 2012, growing out dyed hair March 2013. Makes for a confusing mix of properties. Learning how different processes affect hair properties. Using lot of drugstore products right now. Determining what's right for my hair in my climate. Pittsburgh has a little bit of everything weather wise. Modified CGM since March 2013.
I've been dong the GC thing (full on and modified ) since the end of May. Of the products I've tried there are TWO that I've used up and repurchased. They are Herbal Essence Set Me Up gel and Tresemme Naturals conditioner. Both are CG, cost effective and if they don't work for you they can be tossed without breaking the bank.
I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
Microfiber towel/diffuse