• 3 Post By yossarian
  • 1 Post By poxyfairyplume
  • 1 Post By sixelamy

Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #1

Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Shea Moisture you disappoint me....

I wanted to like Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo. I just can't. I tried it for a week and in that time my curls have drooped, there is some kind of coating, my hair is dull looking and I'm dealing with frizz again. Frizz is a problem I solved a while ago so to have it come back really stinks. I changed shampoos from Organix to Shea because I kept hearing how drying it was and that there was a cone in it. Quite frankly, it was fine for my hair and that cone thing is silly. Why worry about a cone in shampoo??? Anyway, I washed with Organix today and my hair looks back to normal. I do second day hair and then I cowash and do second day hair. I like that routine and was not able to cowash while using Shea because my hair got gunky. Oh well- at least I didn't toss my Organix so I don't have to buy a new bottle! My hair is just too fine for Shea Moisture shampoo.
fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #2

Join Date: Dec 2011

Shea Moisture is a love/hate product. My hair is like yours (fine, 2c) and I have to be very careful using it. The Raw Shea Butter line was just too much for me, but is perfect for my son (3c, coarse). I like the Coconut & Hibiscus poo in rotation - never two washings in a row. Unfortunately, the C&H conditioner was a fail

I wanted to love it too, because I'm big on organics, fair trade, and women & minority ownership, and I love being able to buy stuff locally and (relatively) inexpensively, but there are other products that work better for our hair type.
dusalocks, okyouwin and wavydaze like this.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

I agree with you. I wanted to love the line but it is just OK for my 4a hair. However, I do like the SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie but NOT as a curl enhancer but as a deep conditioner. The Milk is not bad either.
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

wavydaze's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013

I didn't like the SM MR poo because it built up super quick... the SM C&H poo was better... I like how gentle it is but I can only use it in rotation. It's the shea butter; it can build up on fine and/or low-porosity hair.

Some of the Organix poos have olefin-sulfonates or sodium coco-sulfate, which are very drying. If it's working for you now, keep using it but if your hair starts drying out that's probably why. As far as drugstore low-poos I've really liked YesToCucumbers and Giovanni 50:50... silicone and drying-ingredient free.
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Join Date: Jun 2013

Wavydaze, the Organix I'm using is Acai and Avocado. It doesn't have the c-14 all the other types seem to have. It has some milder ingredients in it. I agree with you that the fineness of my hair is what makes Shea not work. Even though I use the Milk with success, I use a pea sized amount or it's just too much. Shoulda taken my clue from that! If I don't like Organix after a while I'll definitely look into Yes To-although there are what like 3 or 4 to choose from? Ugh!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Join Date: Aug 2013

Newbie here. This is my first post. I use sulfate-free shampoos and have for now stopped using any products with silicone.

I was interested in the subject line because I've been trying the SM C&B line for a couple weeks now. I just added the daily conditioner -- a Target exclusive.

I've also bought several Curl Junkie products and am trying to compare to see which line works best for me.

So far from my limited test, I have to say that I'm preferring SM. I do notice that the SM daily conditioner and the CJ smoothing conditioner lack the slip I'm used to -- maybe the lack of silicones?

But I have had good luck so far with the SM smoothie and the gel (I use a very small amount) on my 3b hair. I felt that the CJ coffee-coco creme was a bit too heavy, and the lite version a bit too light on its own.

All of this is preliminary because it's hard when using more than one product at once to tell which is doing a good job or a bad job.

The only one so far that I have pretty much ruled out is the SM C&B Hold and Shine Mist. For me, it didn't do anything other than make my hair sticky.

Last edited by SuzyQ3; 08-26-2013 at 10:42 AM.
SuzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

Join Date: Jun 2013

Hi! The only thing I can tell you is that SM shampoo caused a film to develop on my fine hair in less than 1 week. There are people on this board who really like those products. Trial and error is the only way to figure out what is right for you. Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #8

Join Date: Aug 2013

Thanks for the heads-up, so to speak. I will definitely look out for build-up because that was one of the reasons I started my modified CG regimen.

I'm alternating between the SM shampoo and CJ Daily Assurance. What I like about SM is that it does seem to foam up or lather more like a traditional shampoo than does the CJ, but I can get used to the latter if I need to.
SuzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #9

Join Date: Jun 2013

As can be seen in my siggy, I use Shea Moisture products and I love them. Their deep cleaning shampoo really cleanses my hair, and their moisture retention shampoo moisturizes my hair. I use the deep treatment masque as a conditioner for now. I want to try their restorative conditioner but I'm seeing a couple of you say that it doesn't have enough slip. I might use it still, and make my own opinion. I also use their curl enhancing smoothie and my hair loves it. It really defines my curls and moisturizes my hair. I want to try other hair products though so that my hair won't get to used to Shea Moisture.
Last relaxer: May or June 2007
BC: May 10, 2013
Type: 3b/3c
Hair properties: curly, wavy & fine texture; medium thick to thick density; normal porosity; normal elasticity

Current Loves:
Shampoo: Shea Moisture Black African Soap Deep Cleansing, Shea Moisture Moisture Retention, Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying, Carol's Daughter Black Vanilla
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
Leave-In: Design Essentials HCO Leave-In Conditioner and Blow Drying Lotion
naturallyjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:03 AM   #10

wavydaze's Avatar

Originally Posted by okyouwin View Post
Only the YesToCucumbers (the new formulation) is CG-friendly. Not the carrots or blueberries.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #11

Join Date: Jul 2012

The MR shampoo works great on my fine hair, although I don't shampoo very often. I have the C & H shampoo but haven't tried it yet. I love the milk. I have some products from the new lines that I hope to try out some time this month. Their heavier products are too much for my hair, though.
Former longhair, now CG, living in N. California where the fog meets the wind

3a/b, fine, normal porosity/elasticity, high density

Conditioner wash and style, sometimes with a dab of BRHG.
CurlyInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Join Date: Sep 2013

All of the products I have tried from SM have made me so sad. My hair just can't handle them, my curls went wayyyyyy flat, and I'm still trying to get them back. Sigh. I've tried the MR shampoo, deep treatment, C&H Curl Milk, the Souffle. I just returned some SM products to the store today. I was really hoping for great thing, but I guess my hair just doesn't like anything heavy.
poxyfairyplume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #13

ashlyndmarie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013

I experienced that too but I kept trying. Did u clarify before u started using the products? Now SM is all I use

Originally Posted by poxyfairyplume View Post

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
ashlyndmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #14

BotticelliBrit's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

Aw man, that sucks! I love the Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo! It keeps my curls nice and moisturised and doesn't strip it (or weigh it down).

I definitely think SM is a love/hate line though. Some of us adore it, others just can't get on with it! It's all trial and error I guess
Allie

Curly type: 3A Botticelli curls. Medium porosity. Medium density.
Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut
Conditioner: TRESemmé Naturals
D/C: Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
Leave-in: As I Am / Giovanni Direct
Styler: Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly / KCCC

CG since October 2013.
SL when curly, APL when straight. Aiming for WL (eventually)
BotticelliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #15

Join Date: Jun 2013

For me it was the shea butter that weighed down my hair. It's fine textured and even though it's high porosity it got weighed down. I think that it has some great ingredients in it and is fairly priced. I wish it worked for me! I still use the C&S Milk from time to time to tame frizzies just not every day.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #16

sixelamy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

My hair didn't like shea butter until the dew points went super low. Now it's my best friend! I wish your hair would've cooperated with it, it's such a great line.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ Sevi Pumpkin Seed or Seabuckthorn Berry, YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, Komaza Aloe My Hair LI
PRE-POO/DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC, DC Light Defining Gel
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
= glycerin in low dews
sixelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #17

Join Date: Nov 2013

My hair didn't love the Shea Butter line or the Curl Enhancing Smoothie. The former dried the length of my hair out, but made the roots oily, and the latter made my hair crunchy yet greasy :/ oh well. I use the Shea Butter conditioner and some honey as a mask and it's alright
amandadee is offline   Reply With Quote