• 2 Post By Starmie

Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 AM   #1

Default Kinky Curly Knot Today vs. Giovanni Direct Leave in

Hi everyone,

Iím trying to find a light leave in to use because my hair gets weighed down easily. Iím debating between getting the the kinky curly knot today and the giovanni direct leave in. Of course, giovanni is cheaper than kinky curly but I really like the ingredients in the kinky curly knot today but Iíve heard that kinky curly doesnít work well with other non kinky curly products. HELP! What are your experiences with these two leave ins? Which one do you think mixes well with other products?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #2

Spiralli's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004

I used them both. KCKT has been one my HGs for years. I started out using it with KCCC and then moved away from KCCC. IMO, you don't need to use it with KC products only.

There was something about Giovanni Direct that was just meh for me. I had a sample bottle and never bought the full size.
Location: Texas
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length. Modified CG since 5/2004; growing gray since 5/2007.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, rotating others
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, coconut oil overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Terax Crema, Moroccan Oil Restorative Mask, Je Veux Revitalizing Mud Mask, Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix
Spiralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:50 AM   #3

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I've used them both and much prefer KCKT, I found it wouldn't play nice with CIAB though, which is a staple for me, so I stopped buying it. I didn't like the Giovanni at all, I believe it's protein heavy which I didn't realise when I bought it, and my hair doesn't do well with too much protein.
I use CJ's Beauticurls now which I don't find heavy at all, don't know if that's an option for you.
Korkscrew and Spiralli like this.
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #4

Join Date: Oct 2012

I will definitely get the KCKT, the ingredients won me over and your reviews. Hopefully it will go well with my stylers. I wanted to try CJ's beauticurls but I can't get it here where I live and it's way to expensive to buy it online because of the shipping.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

Korkscrew's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2002

Sounds like a fine choice. When in doubt, I like to choose the least expensive, more natural, easier to find product first KCKT also happens to be a great detangler, if that you're looking for - lot of slip.
Korkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #6

wavydaze's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013

Whole Foods often sells travel-sizes of Giovanni products; I know i've seen travel the travel sized GDLI... so you can try it out.

I think both are light... GDLI is lighter than KCKT so it depends on what your hair needs. KCKT is an awesome detangler though.
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #7

artemis513's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011

Kind of random but I've read in the other threads (like years back) that the KC owner used VO5 conditioners under KCCC before she formulated and launched KCKT. Looking at the ingredients, they're not that far off (though VO5 maybe a little more watered down...) Maybe those would give you a similar experience at a fraction of the price. Just a thought...
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
artemis513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Join Date: Oct 2012

thanks for the suggestion, I would really want to try especially that i've heard how versatile VO5 is, but here in denmark where I live it's not really cost effective to buy it online from the UK or from anywhere. You guys in the US are so lucky that you have so many options that are so accessible, my options here are limited partly because I'm a broke student and I have to buy most products for my hair online and shipping can be so expensive and can sometimes cost soo much more than the actual product! I've even taken to washes with baking soda and apple cider vinegar rinses so I would have more money to spend on stylers and such, which I think are more important for my hair. But anyway I will try VO5 as soon as I can get my hands on some
Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 PM   #9

artemis513's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011

Can you look up the ingredients of the product and see what local brands might have similar ingredients listing? The first 5 ingredients typically are the most important as far as formulation and how the product will perform.
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
artemis513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #10

wavydaze's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013

have you checked out iherb? I think they have very good prices on their products and very reasonable shipping prices.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #11

Join Date: Oct 2012

Thanks yall. very helpful ideas, definitely gonna try it out
Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #12

NvmbrCurlss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

Love kckt! It's my HG LI funny thing is, it did not "work" for me at first. I needed the right technique in which to use it.
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
NvmbrCurlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #13

Originally Posted by NvmbrCurlss View Post
Would you mind sharing what that technique was? Thanks!
2c, 3a & b, very fine, porous, thin density
V05 Kiwi Lime or water co-wash, Deva Low Poo
Love CJ Repair Me and Fairytales Curly-Q Gel
inhisgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #14

chloe92us's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

When I first went CG, KCKT was a love of mine. I swayed from it after learning that the pH was rather high for final product. Over the summer, in the really high dews, I had stopped using a LI alltogether. Recently, I started using KCKT again and had forgotten how much I love it!

I don't really need added moisture, but I do need slip in order to make my kinky hair stay clumped. That's why I think this works so well for me. Also, I've found with other LIs that they negate the crunch of my gels. I feel like I need the crunch!

Anyway, I prefer KCKT to GDLI. the GDLI did nothing for me.

I just rake in my LI and follow with my products; raked then scrunched.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Transitioning to gray
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip
chloe92us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

new2curl2013's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013

I love As I Am Leave-In! It is very light but helps my hair a lot with retaining moisture!

Sent from MobileApp
Hair type: still trying to figure that out
Hair info (I think): coarse / medium-high porosity / medium density / long (past elbows but want to donate ASAP)

Still Trying to Decide What's Best for Me!
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in: As I Am Leave-In
Styling: Garnier Pure & Clean gel
new2curl2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #16

Brigettelowe521's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013

I really liked the Giovanni LI at first. It left my hair very soft and moisturized. However, after several uses it made my hair stringy looking with tons of fly aways on top - which I have never had in my life. I tried the Knot Today after the Giovanni failure and I llllove it. It has great slip and leaves my hair moisturized without weighing my hair down. KT gets my vote over G! :-)
Brigettelowe521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #17

NvmbrCurlss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011

I mix with evoo (8-10 drops per quarter size dollop) then rake thru, comb, slightly soak to better disperse and scrunch out excess water, which helps my curls pop I've used variations of this according to my hair's needs, but KCKT remains one of my great loves....
3B, Fine, Normal P, Normal E, Low-Med D
LowP: Kinky Curly Come Clean (50% EVOO)
NoP: As I Am CC
RO: Suave Coconut, VO5 Shea Cashmere
LI: KCKT or CJBCLI or HETT/HENOYF (w/ 8 drops GSO)

"To much is given, much is expected"
NvmbrCurlss is offline   Reply With Quote