CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Readers' Product Reviews (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/)
-   -   NEED to find a curl definer...HELP!!! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/readers-product-reviews/162592-need-find-curl-definer-help.html)

ailat 09-04-2013 06:20 PM

NEED to find a curl definer...HELP!!!
 
I gathered up the courage to buy the Kinky Curly Curling Custard and I HATE IT!! It leaves my hair all crunchy and not defined like I want and my hair is still frizzy. The only thing I did like about it was the consistency. I have tried the Dark & Lovely Au Naturale Curl Defining Creme Glaze and the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream which I will say both did a good job at eliminating frizz and defining my curls but they are so thick I can't stand it. I'm wondering if I can mix it with water to make it thinner and if it will have the same effect on my hair.

I'm wondering if any girls can give me some insight on some curl definers that are not so thick and will define and my my curls pretty. I like it when my curls are thick and full, something I achieved once before but only because I left a butt load of conditioner in my hair (I know, I know, not good). Any suggestions would be awesome!



JessiiLeighh 09-04-2013 08:22 PM

Water is the best for clumping curls and my favorite styling product. Apply product to SOAKING wet hair and then scrunch it out with a microfiber towel. You can always separate curls when dry if it's too clumpy. As for a defining product, my favorite is gel. I love devacurl gels, and the light defining gel might be nice to try on your hair. I've often added water to my gels and they work perfectly fine. If you want a cheaper option, try one of the many LA looks gels. Crunch can almost always be scrunched out when dry, but use plenty of leave in to help prevent some stiffness.

curlicious13 09-04-2013 10:21 PM

I like the cantu curling custard, but depending on your hair type it can weigh down your hair. But my fav styler are oils & gel. I like the curl activating gels.

Starmie 09-04-2013 11:14 PM

I like CJ's Curls in a Bottle but it has no hold, I use a bit of mousse on top.

ailat 09-05-2013 02:41 AM

I tried that Cantu curling custard a while ago and it made my hair sooooooo dry. Maybe they've changed the ingredients since then. I don't think I've heard of any of the other products but I will check them out. Thanks!

Ana021 09-05-2013 11:47 AM

Softee clean and clear protein gel

rmc2 09-05-2013 12:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ailat I have 4a hair. If your hair is similar to mine, trust me LOL. Try Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator (pink color gel) which sells now for about $5-7 in black hair product mom and pop stores or online. Attachment 38416

ailat 09-08-2013 10:42 PM

So when you use a curl defining cream/custard/gel, do you just slather it on or do you put on on frizzy curls to make then more defined? Maybe the way I'm doing it is wrong because I just slather it on.

curlicious13 09-08-2013 10:57 PM

Custards you apply them to small sections of your hair from root to tip. If the curls are tighter, use even smaller pieces.

rmc2 09-10-2013 01:12 PM

I apply gel on soaking wet hair but my method of applying it (hand prayer method) squeezes some of the water. I put gel on palm and then take a bunch of hair in between palms and slide hands from root to ends. I have 4a shoulder length hair if stretched. It may take about 6-8 sessions of this gel/palm exercise, in others words 6-8 hair sections.

CurlySuze 09-13-2013 02:55 PM

I was discouraged by the kinky curly knot today. So much so that I'm terrified to try the curling custard! I want to try it so badly too. I actually LOVE the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl CreamIt works WONDERS for my hair.

multicultcurly 09-13-2013 06:30 PM

Leaving lots of conditioner in is a good thing depending on your hair. Your hair is frizzy because it lacks moisture.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App

wavydaze 09-13-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ailat (Post 2206075)
I like it when my curls are thick and full, something I achieved once before but only because I left a butt load of conditioner in my hair (I know, I know, not good).

Why do you say not good? There's nothing wrong with leaving butt-loads of conditioner in your hair... especially if it has given you great results in the past! If your hair is damaged/porous/dry it may actually really benefit from butt-loads of conditioner. Just make sure you have your protein-moisture balance in check. If you're leaving in lots of conditioner (without protein) and your hair starts getting mushy/limp after a while, incorporate a conditioner with protein or try a PT.

Many of us do conditioner-only styling. It doesn't work for everyone but if it works for you there's no reason not to stick with it.:flower:

kcdauda 09-14-2013 04:16 PM

I use trevor sorbie original curly cream its cg friendly and give your curls definition without the crunchiness and like only 5 from department stores I would recommend it highly

MirCurls 09-20-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavydaze (Post 2208710)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ailat (Post 2206075)
I like it when my curls are thick and full, something I achieved once before but only because I left a butt load of conditioner in my hair (I know, I know, not good).

Why do you say not good? There's nothing wrong with leaving butt-loads of conditioner in your hair... especially if it has given you great results in the past! If your hair is damaged/porous/dry it may actually really benefit from butt-loads of conditioner. Just make sure you have your protein-moisture balance in check. If you're leaving in lots of conditioner (without protein) and your hair starts getting mushy/limp after a while, incorporate a conditioner with protein or try a PT.

Many of us do conditioner-only styling. It doesn't work for everyone but if it works for you there's no reason not to stick with it.:flower:

big fat curly ditto! I tend to leave a lot of condish in my hair, especially if I'm gonna do SuperSoaker for clumps. I add leave-in ALWAYS. And I add extra leave-in on subsequent days. Today, I have great 3rd day hair, and all I did was add some leave-in condish to revive hair, since I have dry spots. I sometimes have condish only days , which means I will have less-tight curls, hair looks longer and fuller, and dries faster. But when I want definition and hold, I add stuff to make it "sharper" spirals.

If you like the look of lots of condish, go for it.

AnsleyBirch13 09-30-2013 02:41 PM

Eco styler gel! Amazing! Not crunchy, leaves my hair frizz free, and is affordable! You can get it online, at a Sally's beauty supply, or a couple other stores

ANaturalJoy 10-03-2013 05:02 PM

I part my hair in four sections and take a dollop on the product then finger comb through each section. Some products I've used like Jane Carter's Curl Defining Cream was crunchy at first but my second day hair is always awesome. What I've started doing was after my hair was completely dry, I'd use jojoba oil on the crunchy areas to make them soft and shiny. But there isn't always time for that if your wash n go is really a wash n go.

I know the struggle is real and can become super frustrating/costly when looking for the best product. Here are some good product reviews that were super helpful for me. I think WonderCurl and Beautiful Textures might work best for you. Check it out
Products | Tribe Called Curl | The New Curl Order for Natural Hair

ashlyndmarie 11-11-2013 09:19 PM

Have you tried kinky curly style spritz?? I was looking at that product and it seems light...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

BotticelliBrit 11-12-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MirCurls (Post 2210260)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavydaze (Post 2208710)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ailat (Post 2206075)
I like it when my curls are thick and full, something I achieved once before but only because I left a butt load of conditioner in my hair (I know, I know, not good).

Why do you say not good? There's nothing wrong with leaving butt-loads of conditioner in your hair... especially if it has given you great results in the past! If your hair is damaged/porous/dry it may actually really benefit from butt-loads of conditioner. Just make sure you have your protein-moisture balance in check. If you're leaving in lots of conditioner (without protein) and your hair starts getting mushy/limp after a while, incorporate a conditioner with protein or try a PT.

Many of us do conditioner-only styling. It doesn't work for everyone but if it works for you there's no reason not to stick with it.:flower:

big fat curly ditto! I tend to leave a lot of condish in my hair, especially if I'm gonna do SuperSoaker for clumps. I add leave-in ALWAYS. And I add extra leave-in on subsequent days. Today, I have great 3rd day hair, and all I did was add some leave-in condish to revive hair, since I have dry spots. I sometimes have condish only days , which means I will have less-tight curls, hair looks longer and fuller, and dries faster. But when I want definition and hold, I add stuff to make it "sharper" spirals.

If you like the look of lots of condish, go for it.

Yep - agreed! I'm a huge supporter of leaving in conditioner! Lorraine actually encourages it in her book :D

09robiha 11-12-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANaturalJoy (Post 2213211)
I part my hair in four sections and take a dollop on the product then finger comb through each section. Some products I've used like Jane Carter's Curl Defining Cream was crunchy at first but my second day hair is always awesome. What I've started doing was after my hair was completely dry, I'd use jojoba oil on the crunchy areas to make them soft and shiny. But there isn't always time for that if your wash n go is really a wash n go.

I know the struggle is real and can become super frustrating/costly when looking for the best product. Here are some good product reviews that were super helpful for me. I think WonderCurl and Beautiful Textures might work best for you. Check it out
Products | Tribe Called Curl | The New Curl Order for Natural Hair

I keep a little, tightly sealed dropper bottle of olive oil in my bag for such times! I also keep it in there to moisturise hands etc after I wash them..it works great!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com