• 1 Post By JessiiLeighh
  • 2 Post By wavydaze

Old 09-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #1

Join Date: Jun 2013
Exclamation NEED to find a curl definer...HELP!!!

I gathered up the courage to buy the Kinky Curly Curling Custard and I HATE IT!! It leaves my hair all crunchy and not defined like I want and my hair is still frizzy. The only thing I did like about it was the consistency. I have tried the Dark & Lovely Au Naturale Curl Defining Creme Glaze and the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream which I will say both did a good job at eliminating frizz and defining my curls but they are so thick I can't stand it. I'm wondering if I can mix it with water to make it thinner and if it will have the same effect on my hair.

I'm wondering if any girls can give me some insight on some curl definers that are not so thick and will define and my my curls pretty. I like it when my curls are thick and full, something I achieved once before but only because I left a butt load of conditioner in my hair (I know, I know, not good). Any suggestions would be awesome!

Oil: Organic Coconut Oil

Last edited by ailat; 09-04-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

JessiiLeighh's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012

Water is the best for clumping curls and my favorite styling product. Apply product to SOAKING wet hair and then scrunch it out with a microfiber towel. You can always separate curls when dry if it's too clumpy. As for a defining product, my favorite is gel. I love devacurl gels, and the light defining gel might be nice to try on your hair. I've often added water to my gels and they work perfectly fine. If you want a cheaper option, try one of the many LA looks gels. Crunch can almost always be scrunched out when dry, but use plenty of leave in to help prevent some stiffness.
sixelamy likes this.

Sealer: Carol's Daughter Monoi Oil
JessiiLeighh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Join Date: Apr 2013

I like the cantu curling custard, but depending on your hair type it can weigh down your hair. But my fav styler are oils & gel. I like the curl activating gels.
curlicious13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #4

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I like CJ's Curls in a Bottle but it has no hold, I use a bit of mousse on top.
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #5

Join Date: Jun 2013

I tried that Cantu curling custard a while ago and it made my hair sooooooo dry. Maybe they've changed the ingredients since then. I don't think I've heard of any of the other products but I will check them out. Thanks!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #6

Join Date: Aug 2013

Softee clean and clear protein gel
Ana021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

Ailat I have 4a hair. If your hair is similar to mine, trust me LOL. Try Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator (pink color gel) which sells now for about $5-7 in black hair product mom and pop stores or online. NEED to find a curl definer...HELP!!!-imageuploadedbycurltalk1378405829.273002.jpg
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Join Date: Jun 2013

So when you use a curl defining cream/custard/gel, do you just slather it on or do you put on on frizzy curls to make then more defined? Maybe the way I'm doing it is wrong because I just slather it on.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #9

Join Date: Apr 2013

Custards you apply them to small sections of your hair from root to tip. If the curls are tighter, use even smaller pieces.
curlicious13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #10

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

I apply gel on soaking wet hair but my method of applying it (hand prayer method) squeezes some of the water. I put gel on palm and then take a bunch of hair in between palms and slide hands from root to ends. I have 4a shoulder length hair if stretched. It may take about 6-8 sessions of this gel/palm exercise, in others words 6-8 hair sections.
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #11

CurlySuze's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

I was discouraged by the kinky curly knot today. So much so that I'm terrified to try the curling custard! I want to try it so badly too. I actually LOVE the Taliah Waajid Curly Curl CreamIt works WONDERS for my hair.
CurlySuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #12

multicultcurly's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2004

Leaving lots of conditioner in is a good thing depending on your hair. Your hair is frizzy because it lacks moisture.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
multicultcurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #13

wavydaze's Avatar

Originally Posted by ailat View Post
Why do you say not good? There's nothing wrong with leaving butt-loads of conditioner in your hair... especially if it has given you great results in the past! If your hair is damaged/porous/dry it may actually really benefit from butt-loads of conditioner. Just make sure you have your protein-moisture balance in check. If you're leaving in lots of conditioner (without protein) and your hair starts getting mushy/limp after a while, incorporate a conditioner with protein or try a PT.

Many of us do conditioner-only styling. It doesn't work for everyone but if it works for you there's no reason not to stick with it.
rbb and MirCurls like this.
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #14

Join Date: Feb 2011

I use trevor sorbie original curly cream its cg friendly and give your curls definition without the crunchiness and like only £5 from department stores I would recommend it highly
kcdauda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 AM   #15

MirCurls's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by wavydaze View Post
Originally Posted by ailat View Post

big fat curly ditto! I tend to leave a lot of condish in my hair, especially if I'm gonna do SuperSoaker for clumps. I add leave-in ALWAYS. And I add extra leave-in on subsequent days. Today, I have great 3rd day hair, and all I did was add some leave-in condish to revive hair, since I have dry spots. I sometimes have condish only days , which means I will have less-tight curls, hair looks longer and fuller, and dries faster. But when I want definition and hold, I add stuff to make it "sharper" spirals.

If you like the look of lots of condish, go for it.
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
MirCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #16

Join Date: Apr 2013

Eco styler gel! Amazing! Not crunchy, leaves my hair frizz free, and is affordable! You can get it online, at a Sally's beauty supply, or a couple other stores
AnsleyBirch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #17

ANaturalJoy's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013

I part my hair in four sections and take a dollop on the product then finger comb through each section. Some products I've used like Jane Carter's Curl Defining Cream was crunchy at first but my second day hair is always awesome. What I've started doing was after my hair was completely dry, I'd use jojoba oil on the crunchy areas to make them soft and shiny. But there isn't always time for that if your wash n go is really a wash n go.

I know the struggle is real and can become super frustrating/costly when looking for the best product. Here are some good product reviews that were super helpful for me. I think WonderCurl and Beautiful Textures might work best for you. Check it out
Products | Tribe Called Curl | The New Curl Order for Natural Hair
ANaturalJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #18

ashlyndmarie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013

Have you tried kinky curly style spritz?? I was looking at that product and it seems light...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
ashlyndmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:29 AM   #19

BotticelliBrit's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by MirCurls View Post
Originally Posted by wavydaze View Post
Originally Posted by ailat View Post

If you like the look of lots of condish, go for it.
Yep - agreed! I'm a huge supporter of leaving in conditioner! Lorraine actually encourages it in her book
Allie

Curly type: 3A Botticelli curls. Medium porosity. Medium density.
Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
Co-wash: As I Am Coconut
Conditioner: TRESemmé Naturals
D/C: Nothing But Intense Healing Mask
Leave-in: As I Am / Giovanni Direct
Styler: Umberto Giannini Scrunching Curl Friends Jelly / KCCC

CG since October 2013.
SL when curly, APL when straight. Aiming for WL (eventually)
BotticelliBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #20

09robiha's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

Originally Posted by ANaturalJoy View Post

Products | Tribe Called Curl | The New Curl Order for Natural Hair
I keep a little, tightly sealed dropper bottle of olive oil in my bag for such times! I also keep it in there to moisturise hands etc after I wash them..it works great!
Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

PROTEIN LOVER!!!

Wishing my hair would be more like this ------>
and less like this --------->