Old 09-05-2013, 05:04 PM   #1

CurlyGrey3's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Default SweetCurlsElixirs flax seed and okra products

Today I tried the Sweet Curls Flax Seed Defining Gel from our very own swtndspcy's SweetCurlsElixirs etsy shop. I swear that stuff is magic. It did such a great job reducing my frizz and clumping my hair! The best part about it is that you can customize it with your own add-ins. I had her add aloe, avocado oil, and xanthan gum.

I also got the FSG curl cream, but I haven't given it a good try yet. I'll review it when I get a chance. She also sells okra gel, FSG spray, and an oil treatment.

She's been getting rave review from the Wavy Hair Community members. I think putting the etsy link here violates the forum rules, but you can find it.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
CurlyGrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Join Date: Dec 2012

I use Sweet Curls Elixirs FSG with preservative only
I thought the FSG thing was bunk until I tried this.
It's worked great for me so far.

Next time I think I'll try the okra gel
Now I can't wait!
Pookarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Join Date: Mar 2011

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/sweetcurlselixirs

I'm dying to try the flaxseed curl cream and okra gel given the rave reviews on the Wavy Hair Community.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG, growing out mechanical and chemical damage = breakage and very high porosity. Past armpit length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #4

CurlyGrey3's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013

I'm tempted to try the okra. I've never tried it and my store doesn't carry okra.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
CurlyGrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #5

Originally Posted by CurlyGrey3 View Post
I have both the okra and the fsg and, while I LOVE both of them and it is really hard to choose, for some reason I find myself reaching for the fsg more often. I really want to try the FSG curl cream and I will, when I start getting low on the FSG and it's time to reorder. I love the idea of an all-in-one product.
2C/Fine Texture/Normal Porosity/Normal Elasticity/Very Humid Climate
FloridaCurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #6

chupie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I just ordered a small FSG and curl cream. I'm anxious to see how it works. I may not have enough curl for it to be a big deal but I've sure seen some amazing results with waviers than me.
chupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #7

Join Date: Apr 2012

I want some...
3a (normal-porosity/elasticity/density) Dry Climate
Cleanse: CHS TS+oil, poo bars, DB CC, Co-wash
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI-GVPCB, DB pumpkin, TN, Giovanni SAS, Kenra, CJ CR/CJ RM
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, UFDCM, Gel-les'C, SM hair milk, JC Spiralicious

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
Curlsnswirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #8

asianrunner's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009

I'm anxious to try it but we'll be moving soon so it will have to be after that. And I should probably list some stuff on the swap boards because I would never finish it!
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

asianrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:52 AM   #9

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

I looked at her shop after someone (sorry I can never remember who says what!) mentioned her products and really liked the look of them but unfortunately the postage is just too much. Not her fault, it costs what it costs, postage prices seem to be going up everywhere. Not fair.
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #10

Join Date: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by Starmie View Post
No idea if this is practical but apparently three bottles can fit into a flat rate box, you might share with another Australian curly from NC or from the Facebook Aussie Curly Girls group? I am tempted to do that to the UK.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut
Treatments: Komaza Matani, coconut oil, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss ultimate volume, Inecto argan
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Boots Essentials gel
Experimenting with: going back to basics
Firefox7275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to swtndspcy Send a message via Yahoo to swtndspcy

Unfortunately, the way Etsy is set up, I can only estimate the shipping internationally. I tried to estimate to the best of my ability but already short changed myself by underestimating, thus I had to raise my estimate yet again.
The true shipping charges for international customers will most definitely vary, and I chose the cheapest option that I could find (first class USPS, which provides no tracking, and no insurance)
The only way I can think of around this, would be if one checked out using PayPal, then I could refund the shipping difference, if any, when I knew for sure what the cost would be. I have done this for a Canadian customer.
It is unfortunate that international shipping is so high.
Starmie and Firefox7275 like this.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #12

asugirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008

Is there anybody that had used BB's flax seed gel and this one and can give us a good comparison review?
asugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #13

Starmie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2005

Firefox - I don't do Facebook and I'm not sure there's any other Aussie curlies visit here any more (I'm very lonely!). Good thought though.

Swtndspcy - I've often though estimating shipping to different places must be a bit of a minefield, probably why so many sellers don't do it, at least you do. I've all but stopped sending presents to my family in the UK because the postage is ridiculously expensive and then there's often customs and import tax issues - it's just not worth it.
Your products do look good though!
3b in South Australia.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #14

fightingfrizz's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012

Firefox, that's an interesting idea!
Firefox7275 likes this.
UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I donít mind the odd cone - shhh CG since August 2012
fightingfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #15

chupie's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I wanted to mention Sweet Curls owner broke her ankle today. She should be putting up some info on her Etsy page soon regarding timing for orders.
chupie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #16

Join Date: Jul 2012

Unfortunately USPS foreign shipping rates have gone up astronomically in the past year. I've done a fair amount of overseas shipping (LHC swap board stuff). A year ago I could ship a hair fork to Germany, USPS first class, for $6. I sent a fork to Germany a few months ago, and postage was $12.75!

So sorry about the broken ankle, swtndspcy. I do want to try the okra gel out, but I'll wait a while to put my order in. Feel better soon!
Former longhair, now CG, living in N. California where the fog meets the wind

3a/b, fine, normal porosity/elasticity, high density

Conditioner wash and style, sometimes with a dab of BRHG.
CurlyInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #17

Send a message via MSN to swtndspcy Send a message via Yahoo to swtndspcy

Starmie, I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to pay the shipping. It is unfortunately the cheapest rates i have found, and they are still very high! I hate shipping charges, and if i could eliminate them, i would.
Curlyinthefog, thanks. As far as broken ankles go, it could have been worse, but still very bad timing!
I do plan on still filling orders, but it's going to be slow and difficult while on crutches.

Sent from my N9100 using CurlTalk App
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #18

Join Date: Jul 2012

Don't I know it! My mom broke both her ankles the day her first grandchild was born (my son). She was too excited and rolled a golf cart, so really was lucky it wasn't worse. Anyway, she had surgery and was basically confined to bed for eight weeks. Still, one broken ankle is bad enough and crutches are no fun.
Former longhair, now CG, living in N. California where the fog meets the wind

3a/b, fine, normal porosity/elasticity, high density

Conditioner wash and style, sometimes with a dab of BRHG.
CurlyInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to swtndspcy Send a message via Yahoo to swtndspcy

Oh my gosh! That's terrible!

Sent from my N9100 using CurlTalk App
Old 09-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #20

09robiha's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

How long does the FSG with preservatives last?
Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

PROTEIN LOVER!!!

Wishing my hair would be more like this ------>
and less like this --------->