Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo?

• 1 Post By Geek_Chic
  • 1 Post By SuzyQ3

I go back and forth between wearing my hair curly or straight and only when I straighten my hair do I use products that contain silicones. I've been searching for a gentle shampoo that I can use no matter what I'm doing with my hair, so I thought that the Trader Joe's tea tree tingle shampoo might be a good option. While doing some research I discovered that this shampoo does have a light sulfate in it, but I'm not sure if it's enough to cleanse the hair of silicones. Is the tea tree tingle shampoo suitable for this purpose? If not, any other suggestions are appreciated. I've also thought about buying the Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo.

Last edited by iAmber; 09-29-2013 at 04:14 PM.
I have used the shampoo but wasn't aware that it had any sulfates. That said, I can't tell you how much I hated it. I thought it was so great to find a very inexpensive, sulfate-free shampoo, but it made my hair feel like straw, really horrible. And the conditioner was useless.

I discarded both.
Oh wow, that's surprising. I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully I'll have better results- although my hair texture is 4a, so I'll be wary of that. Thanks for the input.
I've been using it, and I like it on my hair.
Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
Lowpoo:
Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
Rinse Out:
Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
LI: Yes to Carrots
Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
This has been by go to poo for years. One of few I use. Great to clean hair and scalp. The truth for my scalp.
Not sure where you got sulfate info from. I'm looking at ingredients. The bottle even says" our product contains no laurel laureth sulfates and is suitable for all types of hair".
"A life without fame can be a good life, but fame without a life is no life at all." - Clive Davis
The Coconut Derivatives (C12-14 Olefin Sulfonate) it contains, though coconut derived, is fairly harsh, like SLS in terms of aggravating the skin. Not a "true" sulfate really, but that's what people are referring to.

wavydaze likes this.

Stylers: FSG, AIF,
Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's (link) as needed

Originally Posted by Geek_Chic
Oh, wow. Yes, I am aware that that ingredient is considered just as harsh as SLS and SLES. I don't whether I can necessarily blame my bad experience with this shampoo on that, but now that I have gone sulfate-free, I won't use any product with this ingredient either.

Originally Posted by Geek_Chic
Thanks. This explains why my hair responds to this shampoo so well. I don't like moisturizing shampoos I tried because they didn't get my hair clean enough. Yet I need all product all everything out once a week. Otherwise my hair won't accept moisture. TTT doesn't irritate my skin as this article mentions and doesn't dry out my hair like sulfates.

Originally Posted by Geek_Chic

Thanks for the articles, they were helpful. However, I'm still not sure if C14-16 oefin sulfonate can cleanse hair of most silicones. I suppose I'm asking this because, through reading the articles I realized that another shampoo I have ( KC come clean) has the same ingredient and I always thought that it wouldn't be an effective shampoo if I needed to rid my hair of silicones. Besides this, I'm not sure if the fact that C14-16 oefin sulfonate is a "gentler" sulfate means that is or isn't able to remove silicones.

Originally Posted by iAmber
As you can see from the second two links, there is not a consensus that olefin sulfonates are more gentle than SLS/SLES. The Natural Haven actually considers it to be just as harsh as SLS. The site also states that SLES is more gentle than olefin sulfonate.
The post in the natural haven only stated that olefin sulfonate was comparable in irritablility, not in effectiveness ( from what i gathered). And to quote the third article "Anything with a carbon count above 12 (in even increments) is considered to be less harsh (than SLS)." C14-16 oefin sulfonate is clearly above that level. Honestly, the scientific details of the ingredients that go into hair products has always thrown me for a loop, which is why I posted my first question. So if anyone could just give me a really simple answer I'd appreciate it so much. I did find it surprising that clarifying/ " sulfate free" shampoos which are supposedly better for your curls can still strip your natural oils so much ( which I first noticed when using KCCC and even Shea Moisture's raw shea shampoo). Maneuvering the curly girl method can be tricky at times so I'm still trying to find a gentle way to clarify my hair and also maintain my hair's health as well as I can when straightening too.

Last edited by iAmber; 09-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Originally Posted by iAmber
JMO, but I think they are using the terms irritability and harshness interchangeably and that harshness means that it will remove build-up from your hair. Other than that, I can't tell you with any certainty whether this particular shampoo with rid your hair of silicones, but if you google "will olefin sulfates remove silicone," you will get some opinions.
iAmber likes this.
Alright, thanks. I'll try that.
Originally Posted by SuzyQ3
I took irritation to mean a skin issue. I guess a lot of this is subjective.
Originally Posted by SuzyQ3
I took irritation to mean a skin issue. I guess a lot of this is subjective.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I think it IS a skin issue. Perhaps I didn't phrase my comment very well, but what I was suggesting is that what makes an ingredient an irritant might also make it harsh, at least in this case, because it does seem that the "harsh" sulfates do remove silicones, whereas the jury is out when it comes to some of the more gentle cleansing agents. But I'm no chemist, that's for sure.
Such a great price for such a big bottle of what I thought was CG friendly shampoo. Sad to hear about the harsh ingredients! I guess I won't be returning back to this shampoo...
I bought this shampoo in a hurry while in line thinking it was CG approved. I could have sworn it was mentioned in many threads! Anyway, I tried it out and it left my hair feeling a bit brittle. The sulfate culprit was listed low down on the ingredients list. Maybe I can mix it with my V05 kiwi condish when I need a mild clarifying treatment. I can't wait to get this whole curly girl thing down to a science.
Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density
Oh, crumb! My ADD must have kicked in when I was reading that label. I never saw the C14-16 olefin sulfonate.
Peace,