Old 09-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Default Shea Moisture

I recently bought the Shea Moisture curling smoothie, and i love it! I was wondering if any of y'all have tried any of their other products, specifically their shampoos and conditioners. If so, what did you think about them? Thanks!
Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #2

Join Date: Aug 2013

I just got the curl & shine shampoo. I am on the fence about it, it my be too rich for my hair or I am just not used to not using sulfates. I am pretty new to all of this I am liking the smoothie though.
2a/b, med/high porosity, high density, fine texture
Wavygirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

sixelamy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

I've tried the MR shampoo, the moisture masque, the curl & style milk, the souffle, and the elixir. The only one that my hair can handle is the elixir. I wanted to like the line so much, but my hair just doesn't like it - probably the shea butter in it. I found the MR shampoo particularly drying to my hair and it didn't feel like it cleaned it at all.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ Sevi Pumpkin Seed or Seabuckthorn Berry, YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, Komaza Aloe My Hair LI
PRE-POO/DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC, DC Light Defining Gel
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
= glycerin in low dews

Last edited by sixelamy; 10-02-2013 at 08:40 AM.
sixelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #4

Originally Posted by AnsleyBirch13 View Post
I really like most of the products. I've bought only those in the Coconut and Hibiscus line for curly hair. I like the shampoo. I did find their RO conditioner at Target (I think it's exclusive), but it's just okay.

I absolutely love the smoothie, and I often add a very small amount of the souffle gel.

The curl milk is good. The only product that really didn't appeal to me and that I returned was the shine mist. It did nothing but make my hair sticky.
SuzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #5

mnekaw3's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Default Shea Moisture - Shampoo

I read the ingredients but I'm unsure...does the Hibiscus shampoo contain sulfates? Is it considered CG?
mnekaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

sixelamy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

Ok, I have to take my statement back. I gave the style milk a second try and I love it! Before I had used it in conjunction with the soufflé.. the soufflé is what I didn't like apparently.
Jaeaaliyah likes this.

= glycerin in low dews
sixelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #7

Originally Posted by mnekaw3 View Post
No, it does not contain sulfates. As far as I know, the whole line is CG.
SuzyQ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Join Date: Apr 2013

Yeah the whole line is organic and CG method approved! I'm going to get their shampoo and conditioner tonight and try them tomorrow, wish me luck!
SuzyQ3 and sixelamy like this.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:04 AM   #9

Puertoricangirl's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012

I have the style milk and am planning on getting the curl enhancing smoothie. The style milk seems to weigh my hair down, give stringy curls, and feel producty on its own. I did not like that one bit! But today I used it over my gel and got beautiful results! I also love the smell 😊 so it's a keeper!
3A Curl Pattern, Low Porosity, High Density, Medium Width, Long Length

Loving my curls/waves!

Product loves: Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars, ACV rinses, Suave Naturals Conditioner wash on in between days, silk scrunchies, Ouidad Curl refreshing spray, Avocado/olive oil/honey deep treatment, Coconut oil on ends/length

Currently waist length while wet and going for waist length while dry!
Puertoricangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

chloe92us's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I like the shampoos, don't care for the conditioners (not enough slip), the milk is okay, the smoothie feels producty for me. I love the body lotions from the "baby" line, and also love the head-to-toe washes from the baby line as body wash and/or shampoo. The scents from the baby line are to die for; much better than the adult lines.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Transitioning to gray
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip
chloe92us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #11

rmc2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012

I agree that the conditioners do NOT have good slip. As for the curl enhancing smoothie, it does NOT enhance curls at all, at leafs not for my 4a hair. Instead I use it for a deep conditioner and so far it is my best DC.
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #12

Brigettelowe521's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2013

I tried their moisture retention shampoo & the restorative conditioner and I didn't like it at all. I wanted to so bad because of the ingredients and good reviews I had read. Unfortunately, my hair didn't like the shampoo & conditioner at all. My hair felt dry and sort of straw like. The conditioner didn't provide any moisture for me at all. I haven't tried any of the styling products though.
Brigettelowe521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #13

Join Date: Jul 2012

I really like the MR shampoo, although I don't shampoo often now. I'm just trying the smoothie again--last time I tried it I didn't like it, but I wasn't CG at the time and didn't really know how to use it. I LOVE the milk. It's the only product that really works to help smooth second day hair for me. It does need a light hand, though, or it's too much. I really didn't like the elixir at all.
Former longhair, now CG, living in N. California where the fog meets the wind

3a/b, fine, normal porosity/elasticity, high density

Conditioner wash and style, sometimes with a dab of BRHG.
CurlyInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #14

Join Date: Apr 2013

I use the smoothie as kind of a leave- in conditioner and I love it. I'm also loving the shampoo and conditioner. What exactly does the milk do?
Old 10-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #15

Join Date: Jul 2011

I have quite a bit of shea moisture products. Yesterday I used the dry/ damaged (yellow labeled), shampoo, conditioner, and dt together for the very first time. My hair is much shorter now but it made my hair very soft rather than greasy and it smells glorious. I actually used the deep treatment kind of like a styler and sealed with some argan oil.
I like frizz so I tried to style ny hair frizzy but it wasn't crazy frizzy lol. The milks are awesome but the curl and shine (which I currently don't have on me) is much more defining for me than the yucca. The yucca is much more yucka to me... but I use it when I want to keep it bedheady and just want softer hair (like I said haven't tried it with short hair yet).

I wanna try them in conjunction with fsg *_*!
That's a new idea I will be likely to try haha!

I wouldn't say these particular products are for that slippery moisture but more so a butterier kind if that makes sense.

The yellow label conditioner lasted me ages! I just bought a new bottle and haven't even used it yet haha

The curl enhancing smoothie worked awesome when my hair was longer but I haven't liked it the last time (maybe cause I still need to get used to not being heavy handed anymore now that I have less than 1/3 the hair lol).
It works good for detangling before washes as well!

I'm actually going to try to do only shea moisture and kinky curly in my routine. I'm a major pj and quite frankly it is really unhealthy. I could stay online or in the hair product section just smelling conditioners and reading stuff for hours. I even dream about hair sometimes lol. I wanted to try curl junkie etc. But was like maybe I shouldn't let myself at this point in my curly broke ass college kid life just yet. My hair might fall in love and it will be romeo/juliet like. So yeah ahhaha.
I was juat worried about glycerin but We'll see how that goes this winter with shea moisture.

Attached Thumbnails
Shea Moisture-uploadfromtaptalk1382816014665.jpg
Sometimes I get carried away and manipulate him too much. He tells me he's fine on his own but I never listen. I wash him less now and all in all we're happy.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #16

Join Date: Jul 2011

@AnsleyBirch13 the milk( if we're refering to the orange one) works kind of like a curl cream if you have used one. Regardless you smooth it through or rake it like gel and scrunch. I used to plop it and right before I would spray the moisture mist. Then I would just let it dry and not touch after the plop. Finally when dry I would strategically separate curls for more volume or non strategically scrunch out the wannabe gel cast "crunch".

My hair is cropped now though so I'm scared of getting the roots greasy..
I'll have to experiment.

P.s. the milk is great for the LOC method! Who knows may just make its way into your winter routine

Old 10-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #17

@bringingcurliesback?

I use the same shampoo and conditioner you have (MR with yellow label) and I love them. I feel like I need to get an oil to seal my hair though, so I'm going to pick up some coconut oil tomorrow. I would love to try more Shea Moisture products. I'll get the dt after I finish the one I already have. Any recommendations? Also, what kind of curls do you have(2c, 3c, etc)?
Old 10-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #18

Join Date: Jul 2011

@AnsleyBirch13 I was wanting to try sealing with the elixir. As far as I have tried shea moisture I always get the best results when I use a specfic line together.

My hair is 3a and 3b in some places. But now that its not as long I see some 2c. The Shea Moisture yellow line kinda made it so soft its wavy/nearly straight in places. But I don't care lol. Its super soft and my hair is quite coarse so I'm happy.

What are you looking for? Like anything specfic?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #19

@bringingcurliesback?

I was just wondering what you think are some if the best from the brand. I'm a total product junkie haha. I have 3b/3c hair, so it can be a struggle haha
Old 10-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #20

Join Date: Jul 2012

I tried the smoothie again today--on very wet hair, with KCCC on top. We went to a wedding this afternoon, and I got SO many compliments on my hair. So it seems that the smoothie was a big win. Except that, um...boy, I have a lot of other stuff to use up...
Former longhair, now CG, living in N. California where the fog meets the wind

3a/b, fine, normal porosity/elasticity, high density

Conditioner wash and style, sometimes with a dab of BRHG.
CurlyInTheFog is offline   Reply With Quote