AG Re:coil - drying?

• 1 Post By Korkscrew

I purchased this product after reading good reviews. I tried it recently a few times and I absolutely love how much it activates my curls! No other product I've tried has done this, and also no other product I've tried has REactivated after putting water on (even though they were "supposed to").

HOWEVER - It seems to be making my hair somewhat dry. Has anybody else experienced this? I assume the bolded ingredient is the culprit? How would I counteract this? I really love this product and would hate to give it up. I've been using it really sparingly, when I *need* my hair to look good.

Water/aqua/eau, Polyquaternium-55, Hydroxypropyl Starch, Cetylalcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Stearyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-20, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Corn Starch Modified, Cetrimonium Chloride, Salvia Officinalis (sage) Leaf Extract, Urtica Dioica (Nettle) Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Melissaofficinalis Leaf Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Cymbopogonschoenanthus Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Sodium PCA, Polyquaternium-10, Magnesium Sulfate, Silk Amino Acids, Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzedkeratin, Panthenol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Tetrasodiumedta, Parfum/ Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

I layer my products, so this goes on top. I do my leave in, an oil, and then the Re:coil.

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
I am having a problem with dry hair which I suspect is from the magnesium sulphate in Rockin Ringlets.
Magnesium Sulfate: Curly Friend or Foe?

You do also have a particularly substantive protein in there: cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed keratin.
Proteins: Why You Should Care

Some also claim build up from polyquat-10, do you shampoo?
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
I use DevaCare Low Poo once a week. I've actually been using it more in the past couple of weeks and my hair has been acting a bit better.

I've noticed I've been having to use my deep conditioner a lot as well. I'm finding my underlayer needs more protein than my top layer. My underlayer also curls less. I think I may try just using this on just my underlayer and see how it goes. Thanks for the links!

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
The mag. sulfate is the problem, it can dry hair out. The best way for me to counteract the effect is to put leave in in my hair before the recoil.
2c/3a cg 01/10/13

Hair Properties: low( first 4 inches) / high porosity, medium density, fine/medium texture Climate : hot humid summer, coastal GA

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut / Everlasting Sunshine, V05
Rinse out :Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, VO5 ocean refresh
LI: SMCHM ,SMCS, JCRR,
Gel: La Looks sport, Volumax mega gel,Biosilk Rock Hard gel my HG

Love ACV , pedaheh's gelatin treatment
My hair hates everything Deva curl and Curl Keeper,
Originally Posted by turquoisecurls
I always use a leave in, and it doesn't seem to correct the problem. Would it be too heavy to mix some of my deep conditioner in with my regular leave in before I use this?

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
Yes to possible dryness from mag sulfate. Yes, to possible protein overload (In addition to keratin, some people have trouble with hops). Yes to possible buildup from polyquats. Other potential issues:

Glycerin is fairly high on the list and can be drying for some people, especially with repeated use, and especially in dry climates.

The entire problem could be from continuously layering LI, oil and another product. All that layering could easily lead to build up and cause the symptoms you describe.

The #1 suggestion by IT people on how to fix a computer problem is to reboot the computer and see if whatever the problem was, is solved by that one simplistic action. For hair, clarifying and chelating shampoos are excellent "reset buttons" to use because if you have any sort of build up, that problem can be solved.immediately (in most cases). Follow it up with a DC. After doing that, see if there's a difference.

Either way, I'd also stay away from Recoil and stop using proteins for a minute and see If any residual problems with dryness clear up.

You can keep the Recoil in rotation, but would use it less frequently, and continue to gauge the effects it has on your hair. If you're going to layer oil w/2 other products, I'd use a sulfate shampoo once a month or so, to remove possible build up. Your hair shouldn't suffer at all from such an infrequent shampooing.

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Thank you for such a detailed response! This is where I get confused. "They" (whoever they are) say a low poo is sufficient for clarifying, which I do at least once a week. Others say a clarifying sulfate should be used. The low poo "seems" to do the trick for me, or should I whip out my Neutrogena clarifying shampoo that I try to collect dust on?

The layering of product is the only way I can keep moisture in my hair, but I always feel like the oil is just a tad too much. Do you have any other suggestions for this?

Originally Posted by sixelamy
Do they say that? Sulphate free shampoos are not all created equal, some are super gentle and highly conditioning some pretty harsh and clarifying. A clarifying shampoo is one that is rich in sulphates, cocoamidopropyl betaine or perhaps olefin sulfonate AND does not contain conditioning ingredients so usually clear.

You need to clarify when you need to clarify, some never do some do regularly. How do you know your hair needs more moisture (= water)? Hair can feel rough or 'dry' because its lacking in water, because there is mineral or product build up, because the major humectants are being overused, because it's badly damaged or because the cuticle is raised ....

People often confuse the need for clarifying, chelating or conditioning with 'moisturising' - adding or increasing water - one of the most overused and erroneously used words on haircare forums. Work with your hair properties and dew points/ humidity when choosing ingredients and products.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
A lot of folks read a little bit about Lorraine Massey's curly hair routine and end up believing there's something inherently evil or wrong with ever using sulfate shampoo. Generally, nothing could be farther from the truth. Even if "cones" are avoided, many of us run up against some other sort of buildup and need the benefit of a genuine cleanser. Nor does the so-called "CG" method work for everyone. Plenty of people find co-washing and low-pooing makes their hair oily and listless and they need shampoo. Plenty of others find "cones" give them little or no problem despite it causing problems for others.

A sensible and holistic curly-haired journey often depends on moderation, rather than the extreme all-or-nothing "CG"-type thinking. Hair suffering from build-up may or may not respond to low-poo, but it likely will respond to a sulfate or non-sulfate shampoo containing cocamidopropyl betaine. And it will almost definitely respond to a sulfate-shampoo with both cocamidopropyl betaine and sodium polystyrene sulfonate, if you also suffer from hard water build up or the effects of chlorine. ... One example of a well-rounded chelating shampoo is Nexxus Phyto Organics Kelate shampoo.

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

Last edited by Korkscrew; 10-11-2013 at 03:11 PM.
I definitely hear you on the sulfate thing. I have no problem needing to clarify when I need to. I'll try this and see if it's better. Thanks for the recommendation on a chelating shampoo, can you get this at drugstores or is this an order online type of product?

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
I was recently reminded of the need to clarify semi-regularly. My ends started getting really, really tangled when wet. They were so bad that I thought I'd have to get a haircut. I had a giant knot ball the last 2-3 inches of my hair. I tried more conditioning, moisture, protein, and nothing was helping. Last Friday was my henna-day, and I always clarify first. I used a cheap clarifying shampoo (V05) and as I was rinsing it out, I noticed that my ends weren't tangling much. My ends have been 95% better since then. I haven't been using any non-CG products in months (I do use non-CG stuff if I want to, I just haven't been lately), so it wasn't silicone buildup, but there must have been serious buildup of some sort. From now on I'll be clarifying every 3 weeks or so instead of just the 6 week henna-time mark. I always noticed that my hair was especially nice for 2-3 weeks after henna, but I didn't know why because I have been hennaing my roots only for at least a year now, and all of my hair was nice. It must have been the clarifying all along.

I should note that when I shampoo (clarifying or not), I never scrub my ends. I gently massage the shampoo into my scalp and crown area and let rinsing the suds out cleanse the rest of my hair as it's travelling down the hair shaft.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Originally Posted by sixelamy
I've had a hard time finding chelating shampoos with sodium polystyrene sulfonate, on the ground. Had to go online. I seem to recall buying that one from Nexxus from Amazon. There's another one I bought from Amazon at some point, called Pure & Basic Natural Clarifying Shampoo.

Originally Posted by JLeighs
J, if you ever need a more thorough shampoo that is still gentle, you can do this: After apply shampoo to scalp and massaging, slather a bit of shampoo to hair from root to ends. Make a fist and then gently squeeze the length of all your hair (one squeeze per section), which helps the shampoo penetrate the hair well. After doing that, get under the shower stream and rinse your scalp. Then, repeat the squeezing action down your hair again to release the suds from your hair (may take more than one squeeze per section to do that, but you'll be able to feel when the shampoo has rinsed out). ... This may sound like work but it's amazingly simple and quick.

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

Last edited by Korkscrew; 10-13-2013 at 07:23 PM.
I did have buildup, but I believe I am also a bit protein'ed out. Yeah I can't find that shampoo in any of the stores here after doing a search, can only order online. I love Nexxus so I think I will order this soon!

I don't think cowashing is exactly doing it for me. Thinking about low pooing for the majority.

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
I think you're 100% on the right track because you are "listening" to what your hair seems to need. Everyone's hair is different and everything does not work for every one, I've found.

Good luck

Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Great idea! I will definitely try that next time.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Cool. I think that should work just fine I've had to shampoo my hair more than once sometimes to remove all my build up. This squeeze shampoo method seems to make the need for a repeat shampoo less likely.
sixelamy likes this.

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

Yes, it is drying. I love AG Re:coil and have used it since early 2010, but always with a generous amount of leave-in underneath. Sometimes 2 leave-ins (such as some CJ Beautifcurls and some AG FAST FOOD). It was one of the things I posted about back when I was a heavy forum user: "Re: coil faboo for multi-hair days, but drying. Use lotsa condish."
3a3b dry, dyed --newly "banged"
Natural since 11/25/09 (Miami)

Shine & Spring w/ Sweet Curls Elixirs!
Curl Junkie Conditions!
Re:coil ROCKS!

~CJ Protein Tx
; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
~S&C; SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders