Giovanni Smooth as Silk

I know a lot of people like Giovanni Smooth as Silk, but I had a reaction to it, not sure what ingredient caused it. I applied it to soaking wet hair, and as it dripped, my collar bone area became itchy, then bright red splotchy. Also, when I was scrunching my hair, it seemed like my hair was repelling it, it was almost getting sudsy, like it didn't penetrate at all. I ended up washing it out and starting over with my regular products.

I will be returning it and will never touch the stuff again!!

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
People react to different products so nothing to be alarmed about.

However if you do have an allergic reaction to something try and find the specific ingredient you reacted to so you can avoid it.
Yeah, I have no clue what ingredient it would even be. I was itchy pretty much all day. I'd love to figure it out.

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
I was also very itchy after using this..
Originally Posted by sixelamy
I hope you can figure it out. I never had a reaction to their shampoo's, conditioners, or the protein filled LI. I was not a huge fan of their products, other than the LI, for different reasons. They did not work well in the long run. I have had several reactions and know it is a huge pain to pin point the culprit. Every time you think you have it narrowed down; you realize you have used another product which contained that particular ingredient with no problem. I often wonder if it is the combination of particular products that triggers.
sixelamy likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

I used their 2Chic deep conditioner and now the Tea Tree Triple treat shampoo with no problems. I still wonder what was in that conditioner...

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
So sorry this happened to you! You were wise to go back to your other stuff. I tried the Smooth As Silk shampoo and conditioner a few years ago - the shampoo was nice but the conditioner was too light-weight for my hair and didn't really do much(I do color my hair so that would make a difference.)

I will be returning it and will never touch the stuff again!!
Originally Posted by sixelamy
I like this conditioner a lot and I obviously don't have any reactions to it. As far as allergies, anything can be the culprit. I really wonder what formulation you used, as I believe there may be a few floating around.

FYI, if a conditioner is sudsy it usually signifies a higher percentage of cationic surfactants. It's not a bad thing.
2BC/f/II. fine - low/normal porosity - medium density - normal elasticity.

Cowash: Cure Care diluted with water 1:1
RO: Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: CeraVe Foaming as low-poo, gelatin gel

light moisture, hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
I had been using the shampoo with some success, so I bought the conditioner. It is sudsy! I wonder what ingredients are causing it.
That sucks. I had this same experience with a few different conditioners and they all had the same fragrance so that's the only thing I could narrow it down to be. For that reason if I buy a new conditioner I have to smell it and if it smells like those conditioners I know it'll irritate my skin. It sucks because I actually liked the results these conditioners gave me but because of that issue I can't use them blahh!!

Originally Posted by ChillyCurls
I know... Isn't that the weirdest thing?

Originally Posted by fefe912
I was wondering if it wasn't the fragrance. Some fragrance tend to make me a little itchy.. This could be.

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
I was reading some old posts and was actually considering purchasing Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I'm looking for a new conditioner with good slip....I've never had a reaction to any of my products like that but now I'm a littler nervous.

Styler: KCCC
Just because I did doesn't mean you will. I have extremely sensitive skin. Deva products make me itch too, but those I can handle... this one was pretty bad.

Originally Posted by sixelamy
I'm still going to give it a try....I will just proceed with caution, I tend to have sensitive skin. I'll be more aware if anything funky starts to happen. Before being introduced to SM I used Tresemme (for years), it had great slip and was amazing for detangling. I might go back to it.

Originally Posted by Cally
Stinks, doesn't it!? I'd rather bond over being awesome or something. lol

Originally Posted by Cally
Stinks, doesn't it!? I'd rather bond over being awesome or something. lol
Originally Posted by sixelamy
Yes I wish. However I am giving these another try. I found the leave-in and gel that I want to test out. I love the ingredient list, all natural makes me want to give it another shot.
Styler: AG recoil/mousse-gel
I finally made it to my Target and of course they had none in stock or I couldn't find it and didn't have time to ask someone. I was really looking forward to trying it out this weekend...I'll probably just end up ordering it online.
Does Ulta carry it?

Styler: KCCC
Ulta doesn't list the Smooth as Silk on their website.. looks like they only carry the 2Chic line.
SortaRican likes this.

COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
Well I went back to my Target and this time I asked someone for help and they had none in stock. Fortunately I know where it is located now and can check back periodically.

My next question is about the Direct Leave In Conditioner. Have any of you tried it? Since I can't seem to get my hands on Smooth as Silk I was considering trying the Direct Leave In.