Old 10-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Giovanni Smooth as Silk

I know a lot of people like Giovanni Smooth as Silk, but I had a reaction to it, not sure what ingredient caused it. I applied it to soaking wet hair, and as it dripped, my collar bone area became itchy, then bright red splotchy. Also, when I was scrunching my hair, it seemed like my hair was repelling it, it was almost getting sudsy, like it didn't penetrate at all. I ended up washing it out and starting over with my regular products.

I will be returning it and will never touch the stuff again!!
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ Sevi Pumpkin Seed or Seabuckthorn Berry, YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, Komaza Aloe My Hair LI
Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 PM   #2

Join Date: Aug 2013

People react to different products so nothing to be alarmed about.

However if you do have an allergic reaction to something try and find the specific ingredient you reacted to so you can avoid it.
Blueblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Join Date: Sep 2013

Yeah, I have no clue what ingredient it would even be. I was itchy pretty much all day. I'd love to figure it out.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 PM   #4

Join Date: Mar 2014

I was also very itchy after using this..
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #5

Fifi.G's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by sixelamy View Post
I hope you can figure it out. I never had a reaction to their shampoo's, conditioners, or the protein filled LI. I was not a huge fan of their products, other than the LI, for different reasons. They did not work well in the long run. I have had several reactions and know it is a huge pain to pin point the culprit. Every time you think you have it narrowed down; you realize you have used another product which contained that particular ingredient with no problem. I often wonder if it is the combination of particular products that triggers.
sixelamy likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Fifi.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:07 AM   #6

Join Date: Sep 2013

I used their 2Chic deep conditioner and now the Tea Tree Triple treat shampoo with no problems. I still wonder what was in that conditioner...

Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #7

Join Date: Oct 2009
Default Giovanni Smooth As Silk

So sorry this happened to you! You were wise to go back to your other stuff. I tried the Smooth As Silk shampoo and conditioner a few years ago - the shampoo was nice but the conditioner was too light-weight for my hair and didn't really do much(I do color my hair so that would make a difference.)
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:05 AM   #8

wavydaze's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013

Originally Posted by sixelamy View Post

I will be returning it and will never touch the stuff again!!
I like this conditioner a lot and I obviously don't have any reactions to it. As far as allergies, anything can be the culprit. I really wonder what formulation you used, as I believe there may be a few floating around.

FYI, if a conditioner is sudsy it usually signifies a higher percentage of cationic surfactants. It's not a bad thing.
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Cowash: CJ Daily Fix
Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*
PT: CJ Repair Me, IAgirl's gelatine

*have cones
underline = I love these!

iherb discount code: CFN646
wavydaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #9

Join Date: Aug 2013

I had been using the shampoo with some success, so I bought the conditioner. It is sudsy! I wonder what ingredients are causing it.
ChillyCurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #10

fefe912's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012

That sucks. I had this same experience with a few different conditioners and they all had the same fragrance so that's the only thing I could narrow it down to be. For that reason if I buy a new conditioner I have to smell it and if it smells like those conditioners I know it'll irritate my skin. It sucks because I actually liked the results these conditioners gave me but because of that issue I can't use them blahh!!
fefe912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Originally Posted by ChillyCurls View Post
I know... Isn't that the weirdest thing?

Originally Posted by fefe912 View Post
I was wondering if it wasn't the fragrance. Some fragrance tend to make me a little itchy.. This could be.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:43 PM   #12

Join Date: Nov 2013

I was reading some old posts and was actually considering purchasing Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I'm looking for a new conditioner with good slip....I've never had a reaction to any of my products like that but now I'm a littler nervous.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #13

Join Date: Sep 2013

Just because I did doesn't mean you will. I have extremely sensitive skin. Deva products make me itch too, but those I can handle... this one was pretty bad.

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #14

Originally Posted by sixelamy View Post
I'm still going to give it a try....I will just proceed with caution, I tend to have sensitive skin. I'll be more aware if anything funky starts to happen. Before being introduced to SM I used Tresemme (for years), it had great slip and was amazing for detangling. I might go back to it.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #15

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 AM   #16

Originally Posted by Cally View Post

Stinks, doesn't it!? I'd rather bond over being awesome or something. lol

Old 03-25-2014, 10:12 PM   #17

Originally Posted by Cally View Post

Stinks, doesn't it!? I'd rather bond over being awesome or something. lol
Yes I wish. However I am giving these another try. I found the leave-in and gel that I want to test out. I love the ingredient list, all natural makes me want to give it another shot.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #18

Join Date: Nov 2013

I finally made it to my Target and of course they had none in stock or I couldn't find it and didn't have time to ask someone. I was really looking forward to trying it out this weekend...I'll probably just end up ordering it online.
Does Ulta carry it?

Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #19

Join Date: Sep 2013

Ulta doesn't list the Smooth as Silk on their website.. looks like they only carry the 2Chic line.
SortaRican likes this.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:33 AM   #20

Join Date: Nov 2013

Well I went back to my Target and this time I asked someone for help and they had none in stock. Fortunately I know where it is located now and can check back periodically.

My next question is about the Direct Leave In Conditioner. Have any of you tried it? Since I can't seem to get my hands on Smooth as Silk I was considering trying the Direct Leave In.