Old 10-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

LavenderNails's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Default Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel?

I've been thinking of trying this product for a while. I've never been a big fan of gel but I'm finding that I need something with a bit more hold and to keep frizzes at bay. Not TONS of hold, I still want my hair to move and be soft, but some.

So how do you like this gel? What's the hold like? How well does it work with leave-ins?
3b - medium texture, normal to high porosity, medium density

Low-poo - L'Oreal EverCreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo
RO/Co-wash - Aussie Moist (HG)
LI - Giovanni Direct LI/ KCKT/ L'Oreal EverCurl Hydracharge LI Cream
Styler - KMF Upper Management Gel/ LAL Mega Mega Hold Gel
DC - Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque
LavenderNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Join Date: Jul 2008

I love Kiss My Face Upper Management! It's one of my favourites!

It's a thick gel, which helps hold my curls in place while my hair dries, but the crunch scrunches out easily for me. The smell is very light and citrusy. I suspect that it closes the cuticles of my hair because when I apply it, I can feel a big difference in my hair, but that's my impression, not a scientific observation. The price tag is very attractive also.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #3

Join Date: Jun 2013

FYI there was a recent formula change. It now has glycerin I believe.

I tried the old formula and it wasn't for me. It flash-dried like crazy, making application difficult and uneven and I ended up with frizz in high dews (bc of the aloe and panthenol and hyaluronic acid undoubtedly).

I can't say anything about the new formula. Since it has glycerin, I have to avoid it.

Good luck!
fine - low porosity - medium density - normal elasticity. Very high dews. Soft water.

Low-poo: CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, Giovanni 2chic BK&AO
RO: TN Radiant Care, Giovanni SaS, Ogx BKT*, Sukin Nourishing, SS Caitlin's, various
LI: sometimes TN Radiant Care
Styler: FSG with CNPF, CJ Pattern Pusha, Volumax Mega, Ouidad Climate Control*, Ogx BKT serum*

Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 PM   #4

Join Date: Jul 2008

I wonder what on earth is so much different about our hair properties that your hair flash dried when you applied KMFUM. My hair is fine and low porosity too, and it definitely doesn't dry out when I use it, but stays sopping wet, and takes the usual hours to dry.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Join Date: Jul 2008

Sorry to respond twice, but I wonder if you can tell me, is the packaging the same on the new formula? (I'm wondering if I should be looking for old stock, and that would be easier if it's not the same packaging.)

Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #6

chloe92us's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013

I have the old formula without glycerin, and I like it. Its texture is good for clumping, but I do have to use another gel on top. If you're looking for a light/medium hold, it would be a good one to try.
2C/ Coarse/ Normal porosity/ SW Florida/ Transitioning to gray
Cleanse: CJ Daily Fix, JC Cleansing Cream, TJ Tea Tree Condish
Condish: JC Too Shea, CJ Curl Rehab (both as RO & LI)
Stylers: UFD CM, CJ PP, JC Spiralicious, Darcy's Cream Gel & Cocoa bean whip
chloe92us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Join Date: May 2012

Originally Posted by Morgan_Adcock View Post
I get the same flash dry effect. It's like it sucks the water out of my hair and it makes it very frizzy and difficult to apply.
Jessiebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #8

Join Date: Dec 2011

Originally Posted by Jessiebanana View Post
+1. I had seen so many good reviews, & decided to pick up a couple of bottles of the old formula when I heard it was being changed. Sadly, it left my fine, LP hair very frizzy and undefined

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #9

abstractcurls's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010

I got the flash dry reaction too.
abstractcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #10

Originally Posted by Morgan_Adcock View Post
Not sure, considering we're basically hair twins. Assuming we're using the same formula, one variable might be the traces of the ROs we use and how they interact with the gel.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #11

All Natural Upper Management Styling Gel from Kiss My Face

From the site it looks like the packaging is the same. Best check the ingredients.

Old 10-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #12

it looks like the packaging is the same
Well, that's a bummer. Now I wonder about the KMFUM I got the last time I ordered from VitaCost.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #13

Join Date: Dec 2011

it looks like the packaging is the same
I ordered mine (old formula) from DrVita, and according to the ingredient listing on their website it's still the glycerin-free version.

2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
abstractcurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #15

Join Date: Jul 2008

Thank you for that link. I'll have to check it out!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #16

kathymack's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by yossarian View Post

Kiss My Face Styling Gel Upper Management® -- 8 fl oz | DrVita.com
You can't trust that a website has changed the ingredients list with a reformulation. Most don't pay attention to such things. They just aren't as "picky" about ingredients as we are. I'd email them and ask (I do that when I know there's a reformulation) and see. Usually, that gives them the "clue" that they need to change the ingredient list.

If you remember the Deva debacle from about four years ago. The changed the formula, but didn't change the labels. Thought it didn't matter and wanted to use up the old ones.

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #17

LavenderNails's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013

Originally Posted by yossarian View Post

Kiss My Face Styling Gel Upper Management® -- 8 fl oz | DrVita.com
Thanks for the link! I ordered right away when I saw the free shipping. I guess I'll see whether it's the old or new formula. I don't think my hair has issues with glycerin so hopefully it won't be a problem.
3b - medium texture, normal to high porosity, medium density

Low-poo - L'Oreal EverCreme Intense Nourishing Shampoo
RO/Co-wash - Aussie Moist (HG)
LI - Giovanni Direct LI/ KCKT/ L'Oreal EverCurl Hydracharge LI Cream
Styler - KMF Upper Management Gel/ LAL Mega Mega Hold Gel
DC - Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque
LavenderNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #18

hockeymomof3's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2005

LOL at the Deva debacle - I remember that Kathymack. I tried the old formula as well of the Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel and didn't have much luck. Seemed to make my hair crispy and stringy no matter how much I used.
pw: curls
Gel - KCCC at the moment
hockeymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #19

Join Date: Apr 2012

i looked for this gel today at whole foods and I guess mine doesnt carry it
hambo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #20

Join Date: Jul 2008

It appears that a lot of places are out of stock right now, probably waiting for the new formula (which is in a white tube) to come in, so there's a good chance that's the case at your Whole Foods.

Unfortunately, the new formula is quite a bit different, so it's hard to say how it will perform in comparison to the old one. I'm trying to find old stock, since I know that was right for my hair. (If anyone has unloved KMFUM they want to get rid of, please let me know.)