Coconut Oil

• 1 Post By Morgan_Adcock
  • 1 Post By Firefox7275

I need to purchase some coconut oil, any recommendations? Thanks
I love the organic virgin coconut oil, they smell lovely. Doesn't matter the brand. Some people use the refined and like it, and it's cheaper. I personally use the Nutiva, because it's the best I've ever used (I also massage with it).
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Cond./ YTCucs, Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC, SS CEJ
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
My recommendation is cheap. I usually get it at an Indian/spice store, or the local co-op. As I also cook with it, I only buy the unhydrogenated (hydrogenated oils are not heart healthy), but I understand that the hydrogenated version is fine for hair.
Firefox7275 likes this.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
I use the Nutiva brand also, it's extra virgin. But Sam's Club carries another brand that's extra virgin and it was $15.99 for 54 oz.
I use Coconoil - it's organic and virgin and I love it
3A with some 3B thrown in. Medium porosity. Medium Thickness. High density.

Pre-poo: Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Low-poo: SM Coconut & Hibiscus shampoo / ElastaQP Créme Conditioning shampoo
Conditioner: Jason Moisturising Aloe Vera Conditioner

D/C: Experimenting!

Leave-in: Baptism rinse
Styler: Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity

UK curly. CG since October 2013.
Aiming for WL curls (eventually)
trader joe's extra virgin coconut oil. its 5.99
I know they have it at health food stores. I used to eat a spoon full of it a day to raise my metabolism when I was on a diet. I've never used it in my hair but I can tell you it helped me lose a lot of weight. Tasted horrible though.
bodyshop has an coconut oil and i really like it !
For hair: any cheap coconut oil from an Asian grocery store or the supermarket, refined was used in the published research. The active lauric acid is the same in both, dead hair cannot use the minimal amount of antioxidants in pricey virgin oil.
rapunzel4ever likes this.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
So should I get: refined or not refined? And extra virgin or not?
So should I get: refined or not refined? And extra virgin or not?
Originally Posted by AnsleyBirch13
Everyone will give you a different answer. Like I said refined was used in the published research, AFAIK there is no evidence whatsoever unrefined/ virgin is better for dead hair, but obviously some do like the natural scent.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
I use unrefined and refined. I use the refined at night for my ends because I don't like the smell when I'm sleeping but if i use it for the day, Ill use the unrefined.