Question to CJ Smoothing Lotion Users re Scent

• 1 Post By sixelamy
  • 1 Post By CurlyGrey3
  • 1 Post By Kilajo

Well, it's actually taken me this long to get to a new bottle. However, the scent seems different. My original bottle I bought when Smoothing Lotion first came out (2010?) This other one I bought maybe in 2011 or early 2012. I buy up a lot in sales and hold on to them. My first bottle had a STRONG vanilla/cotton candy smell. It was actually nice, it refreshed hair. The new bottle has almost no scent, a little bit of a waxy smell. Nothing nasty smelling, just not like the FIRST bottle.

Did the scent change after it's debut? Anyone? I'm trying to figure out if it's too old/going bad or just got a subtler scent after debut.

I opened another of my back-up bottles, and it's also hardly scented, a bit waxy. Worried I have to ditch a lot of money's worth.

OK. Let me know.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I don't know.. I just recently bought some (like in the past month) and it smells pretty strongly of a powdery smell.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
Originally Posted by sixelamy

Dang. Then mine may be too old. I'll wait on some more replies before ordering more...THANKS.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

I would email and see if you can exchange products for a proper smelling one. It may not be old, it may be just simply she forgot to add fragrance, or ran out during the batch.
Geek_Chic likes this.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
i agree that you should email marsha first. she might be lightening up scents as so many people complain about scents in general. i don't use it often enough to say if it has changed. that particular smell never bothered me.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
I'm fairly sensitive to scents and I find my smoothing lotion doesn't have much if a scent at all.
MirCurls likes this.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
Mine doesn't have much of a scent. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought this last week.
MirCurls likes this.
Join Date: May 2012
I've gone through 3-4 bottles this year and mine never smelled strongly of cotton candy. Kind of like a sweet, but mellow vanilla-floral-slightly powdery smell. Nice but not in your face, thank goodness. I only started using this product this year.
Thanks for the replies. Seems she did maybe tone down the scent. Since I could not recall the purchase dates for these (though one would be early 2013), I doubt Marsha could pinpoint batches. Thanks, again. I'll just slap some on my hair next week and see how it performs.