• 1 Post By sixelamy
  • 1 Post By CurlyGrey3
  • 1 Post By Kilajo

Old 10-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #1

Question Question to CJ Smoothing Lotion Users re Scent

Well, it's actually taken me this long to get to a new bottle. However, the scent seems different. My original bottle I bought when Smoothing Lotion first came out (2010?) This other one I bought maybe in 2011 or early 2012. I buy up a lot in sales and hold on to them. My first bottle had a STRONG vanilla/cotton candy smell. It was actually nice, it refreshed hair. The new bottle has almost no scent, a little bit of a waxy smell. Nothing nasty smelling, just not like the FIRST bottle.

Did the scent change after it's debut? Anyone? I'm trying to figure out if it's too old/going bad or just got a subtler scent after debut.

I opened another of my back-up bottles, and it's also hardly scented, a bit waxy. Worried I have to ditch a lot of money's worth.

OK. Let me know.

Dumping clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

sixelamy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

I don't know.. I just recently bought some (like in the past month) and it smells pretty strongly of a powdery smell.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ Sevi Pumpkin Seed or Seabuckthorn Berry, YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, Komaza Aloe My Hair LI
PRE-POO/DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC, DC Light Defining Gel
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
= glycerin in low dews
sixelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #3

Originally Posted by sixelamy View Post

Dang. Then mine may be too old. I'll wait on some more replies before ordering more...THANKS.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #4

sixelamy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013

I would email and see if you can exchange products for a proper smelling one. It may not be old, it may be just simply she forgot to add fragrance, or ran out during the batch.
Geek_Chic likes this.

sixelamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
rbb

Join Date: May 2008

i agree that you should email marsha first. she might be lightening up scents as so many people complain about scents in general. i don't use it often enough to say if it has changed. that particular smell never bothered me.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, leave in, protein tx: curl junkie products. styling:curl junkie conditioners only at times, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. trying ufdcm. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!! sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #6

CurlyGrey3's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013

I'm fairly sensitive to scents and I find my smoothing lotion doesn't have much if a scent at all.
MirCurls likes this.
Salt & pepper wavy mix 2B/2C
Low to normal porosity, coarse, kinky, normal elasticity
Current favorites:
Low poo: Yes To Cukes Color Protection (the no sulfate one)
Conditioners: Renpure MPHIP, CJ Smoothing Lotion, AB LI, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Argan/Olive, Darcy's Pumpkin
Style: FSG, BRHG
Pre-poo/DT: Conditioner with honey & coconut oil

iHerb discount code: PNQ285
CurlyGrey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #7

Kilajo's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011

Mine doesn't have much of a scent. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought this last week.
MirCurls likes this.
Kilajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Join Date: May 2012

I've gone through 3-4 bottles this year and mine never smelled strongly of cotton candy. Kind of like a sweet, but mellow vanilla-floral-slightly powdery smell. Nice but not in your face, thank goodness. I only started using this product this year.
Jessiebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #9

Join Date: Nov 2009

Thanks for the replies. Seems she did maybe tone down the scent. Since I could not recall the purchase dates for these (though one would be early 2013), I doubt Marsha could pinpoint batches. Thanks, again. I'll just slap some on my hair next week and see how it performs.