Moroccanoil curl control mousse CG or not?

Hi,

Since this product has so many positive reviews I was thinking about buying it. However, I want to know if the product is CG approved.

The ingredients:
water, cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, polyquaternium-72, polyquaternium-11, linoleic acid, PEG-20 glyceryl laurate, polysorbate-20, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, parfum, argania spinosa kernel oil, hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG-propyl silanetriol, DMDM hydantoin, CI 26100, CI 47000, benzyl benzoate, alpha-isomethyl ionone, dimpropylene glycol, polyquaternium-7

Seems like it is mostly CG approved but I am not sure since it contains 'hydrolyzed vegetable protein PG-propyl silanetriol'. I did read somewhere that this makes the product not CG approved but some users on this board posted that the product was.

Can anyone help me out?
I want to be sure before I buy it since I don't use any shampoo (only conditoner 3-4 times a week).
It is cg. It smells divine. It's a little heavy for my weak waves but still gives me nice cohesion so I'm not bushing out or scraggly. I think a little goes a long way. Too much and it will foam foam foam. Me hen I use it I live to smell my hair all day. And I'm a smell sensitive person. But it just smells super clean.
Originally Posted by chupie
Thanks for your reply. Any buildup with this product? Do you use shampoo?
Hmmm. I'm never sure about build up. In general I have to at least low poo. I sulfate poo about every month it dilute sulfate (usually seems to clear everything out). I should probably do that monthly. I only use the mousse occasionally so I too if never having been able to tell about build up I don't know if this product is one that builds up.
Also, I notice you are 4a. What are your properties? Fine, medium coarse, porous non-porous? It seems to me most people who use this are wavies or no more than 3a's. The people I personally know are wavies and we typically must at least low poo at least part of the time and clarify way more frequently. From what I have read on this board, mousses generally work better for the looser patterns because they tend to be lighter. (Though I will say I think this is a fairly heavy mousse. Creamy. A little sticky). I do NOT know if that is a hard fast rule or if 4s just generally try much different products. I only know when I look at recs from NC by curl pattern, mousses generally only show up in the wavy category. Again that being said, I still have to use some kind of a gel with it or I get ends splaying all over, the curse of a wavy. Again, if I were you I would look for this product at a place with an awesome return policy. Seriously that is the way I tested products profusely, especially when I first started figuring out how to work with my longer wavy hair. Saved me a LOT of money in trial and error.
Originally Posted by chupie

I think I am a 3A/ 3B. I used the Silk & Gloss curl mouse by Loreal which was very good but the line was discontinued where I live (The Netherlands) so I am looking for a replacement. That mousse had a thicker texture, seemed a bit heavier (the weight) and did not feel very sticky on my hands afterwards. It was easy to wash out (even without shampoo which I have not used in 1 year) and had quit good hold (when it had dried though, it came of pretty quick when I touched my hair while it was still wet).

My hair tends to be a bit dry but some coconut oil from the body shops helps me a lot with that (one of the best products I ever used).

I like my hair when it looks like it has a little bit of a wet look (only a very little) and looks like it has some product in it but it has to natural too (hehe). I like my hair soft and moveable but also with some hold.

What do you think?
I know it is best to test one but I haven't found a webshop with a nice return policy which has this product and delivers to The Netherlands.
I tried different creams and gels but none of them seem to work as good as some mousses. Most creams I used had no hold and gave me frizz and most gels made my hair stiff and very dry.

Thank you!
Gosh hard to say as I don't know the other mousse but your texture/consistency description sounds quite similar to the Morrocanoil. It's an awfully nice mousse.
Originally Posted by chupie
What did you by the way mean with too heavy? The weight of the mousse? Sorry I am a bit new in the hair terminology
With weak waves a lot of products that are fine on stronger curl patterns (3s and 4s that pull into something even when wet) can pull out waves. This is light enough if you don't apply heavily it does not do that.
Originally Posted by chupie
Thanks a lot for all the info Chuppie!

Any other users of the product who can tell anything about buildup, second-day hair and how easy is to rinse the product out?
I can't talk about second day hair because I generally don't do second day hair. But I had no issues with buildup, etc. with this mousse.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
Originally Posted by Corrina777

This is what Moroccanoil has to say about the Hydrolized vegatable protein: the hydrolized vegatable protein is water soluble and also absord by cuticle.

Wtf... absord by cuticle. Now, I am not English but doesn't cuticle mean fingernail?
The hair shaft is covered with little shingles called the cuticle. On porous hair the cuticles are lifted up letting moisture escape. That's also what the developer does in dye so that color can be absorbed into the shaft. That's why it's damaging. Smooth cuticles smoother hair.

What do you think?

Thank you!
Originally Posted by Murmillo
Hi Murmillo!

I live in the Netherlands as well. I have not tried this particular mousse, but I have checked the ingredients and it seems to be CG. However, it may cause build-up if your sensitive for polyquats. I know I am because my hair feels coated and filmy when I've used a product with polyquats, and it gets frizzy when wet. Most people don't experience any problems, but just so you know. The ingredients by the way are:

Water, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Polyquaternium-72, Polyquaternium-11, Linoleic Acid, Peg-20 Glyceryl Laurate, Polysorbate-20, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Parfum, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein Pg-Propyl Silanetriol, Dmdm Hydantoin, Ci 26100, Ci 47000, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Dimpropylene Glycol, Polyquaternium-7.

In general, the Netherlands does not really offer any return policies when it comes to beauty products like they do in the US. However, there are a few webshops that you might want to try.

Haarproducten voor kroes en krullend haar online kopen - Mariposa Import
Natuurlijke haarverzorging voor krullend- en kroeshaar - my Natural Curls
Natural Haircare For Healthy Curls - Curly Hair Shop
Haarproducten voor kroes en krullend haar online kopen - Krullen & Zo

I have only ordered from Mariposa Import so I have no experience with the others. I do have experience with iHerb, which is definitely a recommendation.

iHerb.com - Vitamins, Supplements & Natural Health Products

Other international websites you might want to have a look at:

Curly Emporium
Black Hair Care Treatment London, Manchester, Birmingham: Hair 9

Hope this helps!
F - LP - HD - NE
Fine, low porosity, high density, normal elasticity
Hairtype 2c

Low poo: Looking for a new one
Protein: IAGirl's gelatine treatment
Detangler & LI: KCKT
Styling: KCCC

Beauty Is Not a Number
I have used this mousse fairly frequently. I have not had any build up from it as far as I can tell, and I've only cowashed this winter. Haven't even lowpoo'd in a couple of months. I generally go 3 or 4 days between washes. The curl definition is fine for second day hair, but I do lose curl definition more quickly with this mousse by day 3 than with other products. I don't have good results from refreshing my curls as a rule with any product. But I think one time I scrunched some of this back into my dry day three hair and it actually looked pretty good. The curl definition perked up and it did not look stiff or full of product. So bottom line - This mousse gives me soft and pretty curls on day one and reasonably good curl on day two but isn't great over longer periods of time unless your are able to refresh somehow. I can get awful hair from some polyquats but the one in this hasn't been an issue for me. And I also love the smell. When I use this, I use a lot, btw, but my hair is pretty long. I get the foam mentioned earlier but the final look is soft. HTH.
2b/2c ( weather permitting - 3a), fine texture but lots of it, colored and highlights, BSL.
Experimenting w CG since Oct 2012