Searching for Good Deep Conditioner

Hey Friends,

This morning I discovered that my favorite deep conditioner- The Earth Science Deep Conditioning Masque contains amodimethicone!

Since I know most silicones are a big no for curly hair, is there another good deep conditioner I should know about that doesn't use these ingredients?
Depends on your routine and what you use for cleansing to decide whether or not silicones are "bad". I personally wouldn't term them as being "bad". Just a lot of CG'ers either cowash exclusively or use a surfactant that doesn't take them out. If you're getting them out at every wash, I wouldn't put the "bad" label on them, unless it gives you less than satisfactory results that you are looking for.

What's the Scoop on Silicones?
curlypearl and wavydaze like this.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
Hmmm.... I read that you need to use a sulfate shampoo to remove them.
Hmmm.... I read that you need to use a sulfate shampoo to remove them.
Originally Posted by russianprncss
No you don't. A gentle, low-lather shampoo ("low-poo") with coco betaine or cocamidopropyl betaine can remove them.

Most low-poos have one of these two ingredients, with the notable exception of the SheaMoisture shampoos.

AFA deep conditioners, I hear the Curl Junkie ones are really good (also cone-free).
sixelamy likes this.
2BC/f/II. fine - low/normal porosity - medium density - normal elasticity.

Cowash: Cure Care diluted with water 1:1
RO: Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: CeraVe Foaming as low-poo, gelatin gel

light moisture, hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates
Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
Awesome! Good to know. Thank you

Leave-In: Alaffia Hair Lotion
Stylers: KCCC, Beautiful Curls Curl Cream, Giovanni Mousse, KCCC Refresher[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
I wouldn't term silicones as bad. I personally don't use them because after using a conditioner with silicones in my hair. Later that weak, I tried to remoisturize my hair and the product didn't absorb in my hair but just sat there. So I don't use them.
Originally Posted by curlicious13
That's why I don't like them. They'll give you great & quick results but I eventually realized that they were actually taking away from the health of my hair. I compare cones etc to fast food, quick & satisfying but not good in the long run. I noticed after using them for awhile my hair always ended up rough after washing not as soft and my hair was tougher to detangle. When I was doing cg it was a breeze.

But anyway I'm looking for a good deep conditioner too, now I'm just using my regular rinse out & olive oil
I like the Eden body works jojoba deep conditioner & Shea moisture anti-breakage deep treat masque. I use the Shea moisture when I need a light protein treatment.
My hair really really likes deep conditioners... At least thick ones. The one I've been using has silicones, as I mentioned at the top of the post but I'm not really sure if I can just deep condition regularly, or if I should get a deep conditioner to use once a week or so and then just get a really thick regular conditioner for daily use.

Any ideas?

Leave-In: Alaffia Hair Lotion

I don't use silicones either, but I get that it's a personal choice based on my own experience. I stopped using them after being introduced to the Curly Girl method, and found that without them it's possible to get moisture back into my hair to refresh the curl, and that my ends don't dry out and feel like straw. I'd still be having to wash my hair daily if I were using them, and I'd much rather be able to get good multi-day hair, especially since my hair is usually better on subsequent days than it is on Day 1. Your mileage may vary.
yestheyrereal likes this.
Peace,
Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
CGing since July 2008
I use gvp conditioning balm as my RO. Its thick and moisturizing with good slip. I also use the SM deep treatment masque once or twice a week. My hair loves both and they are CG friendly.
I second the GVP Conditioning Balm. I have only used it as a RO, but I've read that some people will add their favorite oils or honey to it and leave it on for a little longer. That way it will work like a deep conditioner. In any case, GVPCB is very thick and definitely seems like it would work well as a deep conditioner.

I personally LOVE CJ Rehab for my deep condition. It actually says on the label that you can put it on in the shower, leave it in for 5 minutes, then rinse.
yestheyrereal likes this.
The CJ rehab is awesome.. I will sometimes put a little back in as a leave in my hair can be so dry. The CJ deep fix is good too.
rbb and curlypearl like this.
2c/3a
Low-high porosity, fine/medium, high density thick hair, highlighted
Modified CG since 12/2013
I like the Shea moisture anti breakage deep treat.
CJ Curl Rehab is amazing. GVP conditioning balm is nice too but not nearly as good as CR!
curlypearl likes this.
cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Repair Me, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic
gels: CJ CQ, BRHG

love the cj deep fix! i generally put it on during my shower, then rinse it or leave some in as a leave in. there are times when i use it in the traditional dt way, with my heat turban, and it always comes out amazing!
cj curl rehab is my 2nd choice for dt.
Spiralli and curlypearl like this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Giovanni Smooth as Silk.
I used Smooth As Silk and wasn't a huge fan

Leave-In: Alaffia Hair Lotion

I love the L'Oreal Sulfate Free OleoTherapy Oil Infused Conditioner.
3A

Shampoo: Desert Essence Fragrance Free Shampoo
Conditioner: Desert Essence Fragrance Free Conditioner
DC: L'Oreal Sulfate Free OleoTherapy Oil Infused Conditioner

Last edited by AuburnandCurly; 07-14-2014 at 02:18 PM.
I use many deep conditioners but my favorite is the Creme of Nature Argan Oil Deep Conditioner. I know their shampoo of that line is natural but I have no idea if the Deep Conditioner is silicon free, but it's a really nice thickening conditioner.