Ecostyler gel reformulation!

Ecostyler gel reformulation!-imageuploadedbycurltalk1400373314.737122.jpgEcostyler gel reformulation!-imageuploadedbycurltalk1400373351.019407.jpg

The first picture is the old ingredient list, the second is the new. There's been a slight reformation. The gel is way less sticky, thick, and goopy now, and I like it better this way. I'm definitely loving this new one more! Just wanted to let y'all know! Maybe if you didn't like it before you can give it another try.

Which flavor?
I just started using EcoStyler Krystal recently, and it's become my new HG gel. I really hope I will still like the new one. Ugh!

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
LI: KCKT
Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays

Originally Posted by chupie
It looks like the olive oil one. I saw the pink one being sold for next to nothing in several of my local bbs. So I think they are going to either get rid of that one or reformulate.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using CurlTalk App

Originally Posted by chupie

Sent from my GT-I9001 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by cheesycurls
It's the olive oil one!
I'm having a hard time reading the ingredients. Is there a link for a site that shows the new and old ingredients?
LI/RO:MD RCLI, GDLI, Andalou naturals -GVPCB, DB pumpkin, Tresemmé Naturals
Stylers: LALSG, Volumax styling, CHS CK, BRHG, KCCC, Gel-les'C, JC Spiralicious, AOMM, CJPP, SSCEJ

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
This scared me. I just discovered this gel is my HG. Luckily it's the new formula I like sigh of relief!
2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

Originally Posted by tengoRizos
Yeah I'm liking the new formula better !
Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls
Can't find a site with the new, but I did find the old.

Old Formula = Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxymethoxyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Olive Oil, Fragrance, Blue #1, Yellow #11, Love and Pride.

New Formula (as best I can tell from the pic) = Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Glycerin, Amino-2 Methyl 1(?) Propanol, Sodium Methoxyglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Olive Oil, Fragrance, (something), Yellow 9, Love and pride.
CG since 11/2011
2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Autumn Products /Routine:
Clarifying: ACV rinses, Suave Professional Men Deep Clean Peppermint
Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
Co-washes: VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze or Strawberries & Cream
RO: VO5 KLS or S&C, Cure Care
LI (if needed): VO5 S&C, VO5 KLS, Cure Care
Stylers: FSG, L'Oreal Studio Clean gel, Tresemme Flawless Curls Bouncy Curls gel
PT: IAGirl's as needed
Thank you. How is the hold? The old formula was a medium hold for me. What is it you're liking more about the new formula? Thanks .

$5 off 1st order under $40, $10 off over $40...at iherb use code KEY066
I actually like both formulas I didn't even notice a difference lol.

I still add a little water to it when applying it but I really love it still!

I think it's the LOVE and PRIDE ingredients that my hair really likes... So maybe that's why I didn't notice.... Lol
Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
Spiralli likes this.
2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals, GVPCB
Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein!

Last edited by SmilingElephant; 05-18-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls
I like that it's not as thick and sticky. Also, it's harder to get crunchy, hard hair. The old formula made it easy to get hard hair. I also find that it's easier to distribute through my hair
Ok thank you .

Ok thank you .
Originally Posted by Curlsnswirls
Welcome! Also, I feel like it works better on my hair. Not as drying and less frizz
Ahh...they removed the PVP! I think more people will like it a lot more now. I have a jar of the new Argan oil one, haven't tried it yet (still working out of the old jar) but this should be a nice change.

Whenever someone complains about Eco and folks go to blaming the glycerin or wheat protein, I often want to scream at my laptop because it's usually the PVP and most don't even realize lol. PVP is very very bratty.
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
What leave-in do you use under the gel? And do you rake, smooth, or scrunch it in?
2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

Originally Posted by tengoRizos
I use the oyin hair dew, Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, and then the eco styler olive oil gel. And I rake it in. I find this really distributes gel the best
Originally Posted by AnsleyBirch13
This is my HG routine too. I can't ever see myself changing it. I used to use coconut oil but couldn't tell a difference,
But now I'm going to try it again to see because I already know that my hair loves this routine so I can really see how the coconut oil will work
I bought the new argan formula. Love the clean light smell. It dried in a reasonable time.

I've used both As I Am LI and Darcy's coconut & aloe pudding underneath. I got good springy curls, but a good amount of surface frizz too. Used a egg-sized blob in below ears length hair. I might need to use more or use a serum on top.

Not sure if the frizz is from dryness or not enough hold. My hair is medium porosity, but thick and coarse. I'm not sure if I like this. I usually like my hair to look very defined but some my say it looks product-y. This looks really natural - like I have no product in my hair.

I also bought the new pink version. I'm almost afraid to try it because the hold is 6 or 7. The Argan is a 10 hold level and it looks like a 2 in my coarse hair. I might get the new olive oil version. The old olive had good hold for me but took forever to dry.

Hmmm......the jury is still out. But it's fun to play with inexpensive gels.
Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
I had started using Ecostyler gel before it became very popular. I started with the clear version then, I went back and forth between using the olive oil and argan oil versions. And, the last version that I actually tried was the pink colored one for curly hair.

I never got the flaking that others have spoken about. However, whenever I've used any Ecostyler gel, I've only used it by itself with nothing underneath it.

Every Ecostyler gel I've ever used would leave my hair very dry, no matter the hold. And, when I started using it over a long extended period of time last year, while keeping my hair in a protective style (bun), my hair started to get extremely brittle and began breaking off at the ends. So, I ended up having to cut my hair to help in remedying the damage. Also, that's when I switched to wearing my hair down and using different products in my hair as well.

I did try another gel much later on after my hair had rebounded from such damage. The gel I tried was Long Aid Activator Gel which I really like. It defines my curls without any crunch and it leaves my hair feeling moisturized without having to add anything else to it. But, I have found the most success through the use of creams and liquids in my hair. That's what I currently use and is working best for my hair at the moment. As, it's been around 90 degrees where I live at with the humidity just as high.

However, a while back while I was cruising the isle in Sally's I noticed that they had Ecostyler Gel on sale for less than $3. So, I decided to pick up a jar of the olive oil version and I noticed that there was a difference with the jar. And, when I turned over the jar, I noticed that the ingredients weren't the same. I decided to take advantage of the sale and I bought 3 of the olive oil gel version. I have yet to try the new formulation. I hope that it will not cause any problems with my hair, as I am not looking to go through another setback. Right now, my hair is at lower bra strap length, and I would hate to have to go through another cut due to damage.

I will eventually try the new version, just a bit scared to take that leap just yet.